PSU-Mushkin HP-550 550W ATX SLI
Cooler-Thermaltake Big Water 754
GFX card- X1800XTX
do i have what it takes to reach my goal, if not please leave suggestions
thanks a lot :)

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
The E6600 has a 9X multiplier, so isn't your ram too slow? Even so, the FSB is typically the limitation - not CPU temperature, and I see no reason why your system would be special and able to make 4 Ghz.

mobo-Gigabyte GA-G1975X ATX LGA775 DDR2 2PCI-E16
I don't think that motherboard supports C2D.
975X chipsets do not usually reach the high FSB needed to push an E6600 to 4Ghz.
A 965 chipset would be a better choice.
Cooler-Thermaltake Big Water 754
Can you find a link to the 754? I've only seen the Big Water 745.
Case-Thermaltake Armor Jr.
How do you plan to fit the Big Water cooling system inside this case?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Oh, stupid me. I assumed the motherboard was compatible. The Gigabyte DS6 is very good. Otherwise, your best shot is a nVidia 680i solution: hits 510Mhz FSB...Releases sometime in November.

~Ibrahim~

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
You want a 4ghz sytem? Buy a Pentium D 805 and OC it. That's because there's no way you are reaching 4 gigs with your chosen CPU. Seriously though, I wouldn't touch this option with a 10-foot pole.

If you can wait, I would say hold on to your $$ till next year when the 3.33 C2D comes out because not only will better products be available but they will have a better tolerance for high frequencies. Another thing to consider, the more sticks of RAM you install the lower your stable speed will be.

Good luck!

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
sup BigCharb;

I will give you credit for dreaming big, but i would suggest you take a step back and rethink your position here, instead of trying to OC the hell out of a C2D, just get a Quad when it comes out, it is going to be out very soon, and you will save yourself time, and a fat headache.

4Ghz is a HUGE HUGE HUGE overclock, and it is very probable that it is unatainable on water, i think you would have to get more agressive with the cooling system which is going to be just as expensive as buying the Quad core, around $1000, so imo it would be smarter to just go Quad core. Not to mention you are going to need an insanely powerful and stable PSU, if you attempt this you make sure and buy a Antec TruePower Trio PSU, but seriously just get a quad core.

Dont ignore this advice out of sheer blindness from ambition, this is a serious warning. You are going into a place very few people have gone before, and i submit to you that they have ALOT more experiance with extreme overclocks then you, and many many computers have payed the price for that ambition in the process. Think it over, but if for some insane reason you decide to go ahead with this, good luck.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Your kidding right? 8O A 1.6ghz overclock?

ROFL i know it seems ludicrous right 8O , it is possible with the right cooling, just not probable, and imo a waste of time considering he can just get a quad core that will perform better.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hey guyz, i got this idea from AnandTech, http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=18. they managed to achieve 4Ghz using an Auses mobo. i just wanted to replicate there results for my self, and for showing off at school :p If it is possible with that Abit mobo that was recommended, than I'm most likely to go for it. thanxs for your input guyz :)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hey guyz, i got this idea from AnandTech, http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=18. they managed to achieve 4Ghz using an Auses mobo. i just wanted to replicate there results for my self, and for showing off at school :p If it is possible with that Abit mobo that was recommended, than I'm most likely to go for it. thanxs for your input guyz :)

The article also used a X6800, NOT the E6600. Big difference.

If you review the whole article you'll read that while one X6800 made 4Ghz another one topped out at 3.4Ghz. That just shows you'll need to be lucky and get a good E6600 if you want to get beyond 3.6Ghz.
We're mostly curious why you picked the Gigabyte GA-G1975X and not the one used for testing in the article.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
im guessing you wont reach 4ghz. (his ram is fine idk what your talkin bout. most ram can run faster than specd)

id say that you will prob get stable with good temp around 3.8.

i mean people are getting the e6400 up around 3.4 (often on air) commonly, so the e6600 should get higher.

you better have mad case cooling. id lookinto strapping an airc ondtioner to it..lol.

id say skip the water cooling, get a nice air cooler. go for 3.6+. theres no need to burn out a perfectly good 6600

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ok, none of this OCing n00bs could give you the right advice so im here to save the day:
Asus P5B Deluxe, no other motherboard can be used for extreme overclocking.
Get this modules. Theyll reach those timings at 1.8v and will keep those timings at 500Mhz, god knows what they can do @2.4v CL5... Best Micron ICs under those blue heatspreaders.
A Scythe Infinity paired with two Silverstone FM121 will outperform that wussy water kit.
You might need some aditional Northbridge cooling, in this case get AS5 and a 40mm fan.
Artic Silver Ceramique has proven to be the best goop for CPUs.
Antec P180 has excellent CPU airflow.
If you can afford it, I highly recommend the E6700 because itll be much easier and itll OC farther due to its higher multiplier.

The rest of recommendations:
Seagate 7200.10
Show me a link for the PSU cos i couldnt find it on newegg.
Get a $25 video card and wait a few weeks for the 8800GTS.

There has been much proof and research behind every thing ive said so if youve got any problems getting any of the stuff ive suggested or got any questions contact me personally and ill be glad to help :D

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hey, this is what i got from the AnandTech site, "To provide some idea of over clocking abilities with other Core 2 Duo processors, we ran quick tests with E6700 (2.67GHz), and E6600 (2.4GHz). The test E6700 reached a stable 3.4GHz at default voltage and topped out at 3.9GHz with the Tuniq Cooler. The 2.4GHz E6600 turned out to be quite an overclocker in our tests. Even though it was hard-locked at a 9 multiplier it reached an amazing 4GHz in the over clocking tests. That represents a 67% overclock." :lol: I chose the Gigabyte GA-G1975X because it was the same mobo used in the DYI 4GHz project on Toms hardware. the power supply is from NCIX.com http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19508&vpn=550200&manufacture=MUSHKIN. i am limited to Canadian sites because...I'm Canadian :D The parts that i listed will tolal cost me 1300 dollars Canadian, pritty good. If i can only reach these results with the Asus P5B Deluxe, than i will.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Forget about Anandtech, FOCK Anandtech. Theyre good with news and general reviews, but leave something to desire when it comes to overclocking.
Follow my lead and youll be by far more succesful.

All the 975X boards have a ~400Mhz cap while the P965 boards hit 500Mhz oftenly. The P5B Deluxe is the one that does it the easily.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Great, theres a non-WiFi version is you can find it, its considerably cheaper.

I would hunt down that RAM like if it was a winning lotery ticket because.. IT IS. Those are the same 60-ball ICs that theyre using in the Dominator sets just to give you a clue :wink:

If you cant find the Infinity anywhere, the Thermalright Ultra-120 would be another option, try luck for the Tuniq Tower 120 too. Any fan with 90 or more CFM would do if you cant find the FM121 ones.

4Ghz would be 445Mhz FSB but ive got a pretty good feeling we'll get really close to 500Mhz :D

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I've seen a computer that got to 4 GHz with that processor. Of course he was using phase change and his processor was at -24 degrees farenheit. So no, I REALLY don't think you can do that. As for the 805. PLEASE don't listen to them. Its just as likely for you to get a 4 on an 805 as it is on the 6600. That means EXTREMELY unlikely.

DDay
Back from a long hiatus of Intel wh0res.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
rwarits seems to know his stuff.

does the cramique really beat as5? that is surprising to me

i dont know if youll need that expensive of ram. with a 9x multpleir you wont even need to hit 500 fsb. just get some gkskill pk or better and youll save some money on ram. or you could get that amazing stuff he recomended.

the multiplier on the e6700 is 10 right? wow you only need to run ram at ddr2 800 to hit 4ghz. mab go for the e6700, but with cheaper ram.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
"rwarits" Dario! :D

does the cramique really beat as5? that is surprising to me
For large surfaces like a CPUs it does. But for small ones like a bare chip contacting a heatspreader on the North and South chipsets the AS5 is better. Its just a very few degrees in difference but thats what we live for in the OCing bussiness

i dont know if youll need that expensive of ram. with a 9x multpleir you wont even need to hit 500 fsb. just get some gkskill pk or better and youll save some money on ram. or you could get that amazing stuff he recomended.
The PK is kind of a hit a miss when OCing (several different reasons). And 500Mhz on air is gonna be real tough so we better play safe and easy with the SuperTalent kit :wink:

the multiplier on the e6700 is 10 right? wow you only need to run ram at ddr2 800 to hit 4ghz. mab go for the e6700, but with cheaper ram.
Now you understand my highlight for it :D
And he should have the money for it after what ive saved him...