gaming processor

htaed666

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
hello im upgrading my computer and wodnering whats the best bang for the buck processor wise any recomendations for a gaming pc processor with a buget of max $300 looking for osmethign for a socket 939 ( i have a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr motherboard)

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
get an opteron 165 or 170. they oc like mad.
get them while they still in stock. I heard amd is going to cut the 939 line before the end of the year. there'll be soon scarce of 939 cpu left in the market, and people are going to charge mad prices for them.
opteron 165 $175.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588
opteron 170 $219.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103586

I just got my opteron 165 yesterday, and I'm already running them at 2.52ghz no sweet with stock voltage.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, you have 300 bucks to spend.......what if I tell ya it's better to learn how to have a little patience in your gaming setup. There are plenty of games that can keep you busy for the meanwhile. What I'm actually saying is.....around the beginning of 2007 we will see this beautifull amd Quad core rise. No not the Intel quad as this is not a real Quad core but actually 2 core duo's glued together to make it look like quad. Take for example the game Alan wake.....it will use one core allready only for the pyschics......it will not only rely on the GPU only. This means that when you buy a core due 2 core processor you will be limited in options allready between the next 2 years.....so it would be way smarter to go for quad as this will make you happy for more then 4 years as it will be very hard to stress this baby out. It's just some vision I'm showing you. A little patience is everything. We are talking about some months of patience but in fact you will earn years of happyness in return. If you buy a lowend cpu right now as a gamer....you won't be happy in the near future as multicore is the way to go. QAUD that is.... ;) It's like trowing money into the sea.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Well, you have 300 bucks to spend.......what if I tell ya it's better to learn how to have a little patience in your gaming setup. There are plenty of games that can keep you busy for the meanwhile. What I'm actually saying is.....around the beginning of 2007 we will see this beautifull amd Quad core rise. No not the Intel quad as this is not a real Quad core but actually 2 core duo's glued together to make it look like quad. Take for example the game Alan wake.....it will use one core allready only for the pyschics......it will not only rely on the GPU only. This means that when you buy a core due 2 core processor you will be limited in options allready between the next 2 years.....so it would be way smarter to go for quad as this will make you happy for more then 4 years as it will be very hard to stress this baby out. It's just some vision I'm showing you. A little patience is everything. We ar talking about some months of patience but in fact you will earn years of happyness in return. If you buy a lowend cpu right now as a gamer....you won't be happy in the near future as multicore is the way to go. QAUD that is.... ;)

thats terrible advice...dual core has just become mainstream, quad core wont become mainstream for awhile

oh and whether its two core 2 duos glued together or not, its still quad core, native quad core, the one it seems your referring to, won't be out for a long while

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
thats terrible advice...dual core has just become mainstream, quad core wont become mainstream for awhile

That's terrible advise because I'm not an holy American or is that terrible advise cause you dont know what you are talking about cause you dont show me the facts of your comments? I did my homework....you certainly did not. That's why I have patience. You are that type of guy that would buy a Directx 9 card right now without knowing that directx 10 cards are within reach.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I agree with IcY18.

8O
If you buy a lowend cpu right now as a gamer....you won't be happy in the near future as multicore is the way to go.

C2D is a low-end cpu? What have you been smoking?
Also, calm down a bit, i'm sure you know a lot more than we do but please try to be nicer to other posters.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Don't listen to SyPheR, he is an idiot. :wink: Upgrade the 939 to a X2 4400+ or save for a bit and upgrade to a Core 2. Both are great.

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
I would second the vote for the 4400+ from the first reply in a heartbeat. The 3700+ is (or should I say was) the most popular mid-high-end single core s939 cpu, if you're looking to OC this chip can work wonders... If not, the 4000+ single core can be found for a very reasonable price too! I would recommend going dual-core though, if it fits your budget. :wink:

Another thing I would look into if you want to improve gaming CPU performance AND you're all-around gaming and media experience, would be to invest in a basic dedicated sound card if you're currently relying on onboard sound. The audigy 4 OEM card would be my recommendation, as its the cheapest audigy card available that DOES feature a dedicated hardware sound processor chip which will take alot of processing load off of your CPU during gameplay.
It goes for 48 bucks US at NCIX (I'm in canada, so you might find better prices at a US retailer) -> Here's a link

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

That's terrible advise because I'm not an holy American or is that terrible advise cause you dont know what you are talking about cause you dont show me the facts of your comments? I did my homework....you certainly did not. That's why I have patience. You are that type of guy that would buy a Directx 9 card right now without knowing that directx 10 cards are within reach.

i'm sorry where did you in your first post show me anything backed up by your supposed homework?

the funny part about about what you said about dx10 almost laughable...full use of dx10 won't take place till next year maybe, before that we will see new dx9 games upgraded to dx10 through patches...so yeah i know dx10 is within reach, as in next week, but why jump on nvidia's product which will definitely be better than any other card out right now when you could wait till 2007 to see Ati's dx10 offering which if rumors prove true will be an absolute power house...

and lastly why would you spend the premium you will pay for a dx10 card when vista, the only os that supports dx10, is not even out yet, and could even be delayed even longer still...

next time hold your mouth when you offer advice cause you sir do not know what your talking about

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
asus a8n 32sli deluxe
4 corsiar512 xms (i got higher oc with just 2) on my 3700
cpu new x2 4400 old 3700
68gt,s in sli
antec tp2.0 550watt

the x2 4400 is the 110watt version (oced it is 130watts) ouch
i wanted the 89watt version but not enough frogskins :lol:

my rig is a year old except for the x2.
also i had no issues swapping from the 3700 to the x2
and the x2 went up in price after i bought it. :D

i used to say to ppl here at the forums.
wait til i buy something then they buy it as it usually
drops in price by 50%.
im finnaly getting some luck :lol:

htaed666

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
ok well i ordered thsi a few min ago, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor, also 2 gigs of kingston hyper x ram... can anyoen give me possibly a run through on how to over clock my new processor? and about how much i can overclock it, ive only over clocked something once so im still a newb. btw i plan on gettign water cooled system soon does that mean i can overclock it more?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i cant be sure mine is 100% i just got it. the x2 i mean.
my 3700 was oced to 2.6 with 4 sticks of memory for almost
a year and no problems. i got 2.7 for about a month with 2 sticks.

on your rig dont oc yet just enjoy it for a while.
and while you are enjoying it read up about ocing.

wusy has a good guide.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Heh, I just bought an ATI All-In-Wonder X1900. But I sold my 7800GT for a bit more than the cost of my X1900, and now I have a great card for my HTPC when I get my DX10 card with better performance than my 7800GT. :p

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I agree with IcY18.

8O If you buy a lowend cpu right now as a gamer....you won't be happy in the near future as multicore is the way to go.

C2D is a low-end cpu? What have you been smoking?
Also, calm down a bit, i'm sure you know a lot more than we do but please try to be nicer to other posters.

Another example of Assman not really saying anything. He likes to avoid conflict. LOL

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

i'm sorry where did you in your first post show me anything backed up by your supposed homework?

the funny part about about what you said about dx10 almost laughable...full use of dx10 won't take place till next year maybe, before that we will see new dx9 games upgraded to dx10 through patches...so yeah i know dx10 is within reach, as in next week, but why jump on nvidia's product which will definitely be better than any other card out right now when you could wait till 2007 to see Ati's dx10 offering which if rumors prove true will be an absolute power house...

and lastly why would you spend the premium you will pay for a dx10 card when vista, the only os that supports dx10, is not even out yet, and could even be delayed even longer still...

next time hold your mouth when you offer advice cause you sir do not know what your talking about

Are you laughing? lol well sorry to dissapoint you but you are making a fool out of yourself. I was not telling that you SHOULD buy a DX10 card within the next few months (ATI OR NVIDIA) but it would be way more wise. And 2nd why should I pay for vista that is not even out yet? lol let me tell you....Why should I pay 400 dollars for some videocard right now when vista is almost released and that card would be outdated allready as it can't make use of DX10 functions. Look only when you dont want to buy Vista it would change the story. But let's talk about CPU in this topic. As I was saying. Why buy an AMD X2 with a 939 mobo while for way less money you have a E6300 that will outperform the X2 easily. But I would still wait for the AMD Quad Core as many near future appz will make use of that power and you won't have to update for a very long time as this baby won't be stressed out for a long time. Keep talking IcY18 and keep calling me stupid. These are just facts you cant deny cause you read them everywhere. :D

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006

Are you laughing? lol well sorry to dissapoint you but you are making a fool out of yourself. I was not telling that you SHOULD buy a DX10 card within the next few months (ATI OR NVIDIA) but it would be way more wise. And 2nd why should I pay for vista that is not even out yet? lol let me tell you....Why should I pay 400 dollars for some videocard right now when vista is almost released and that card would be outdated allready as it can't make use of DX10 functions. Look only when you dont want to buy Vista it would change the story. But let's talk about CPU in this topic. As I was saying. Why buy an AMD X2 with a 939 mobo while for way less money you have a E6300 that will outperform the X2 easily. But I would still wait for the AMD Quad Core as many near future appz will make use of that power and you won't have to update for a very long time as this baby won't be stressed out for a long time. Keep talking IcY18 and keep calling me stupid. These are just facts you cant deny cause you read them everywhere. :D

Actually... nevermind, you're not even worth my time

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Ooh, look everyone! Pretty quote design! :p

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

Ooh, look everyone! Pretty quote design! :p

It's been done already. But what the hell. :lol: