Can't access internet wirelesly

johnp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Greetings,

And appologies if this question has been asked a 1000 times before.

Running Win2kPro SP4 I can share my broadband connection no problem when
using CAT5 cable, a Compaq Netelligent 10/100TX PCI UTP Controller in my
desktop PC, and a Longshine Ethernet 10M in my laptop. The connection is
stable and DHCP works fine as does ICS.

As soon as I try to do the same using a Belkin Wireless PCI Network Card in
my desktop PC & Belkin Wireless G Notebook Netork Card in my laptop, the
whole thing goes tits up.

The laptop won't access the ICS DHCP server. Therefore no DNS or default
gateways are allocated either. If I use a static ip address of
192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0 with default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and
the same for DNS. The network side runs ok, but still no internet.

Pinging a hostname dosen't work so DNS is not working. Neither does entering
a tcp/ip address into IE6.

What the hell is going on. Is there a restriction in wireless networking
that means peer to peer ICS just won't work with out a router.

If this is so will an ordinary wireless router do the job with my Speed
Touch ADSL USB modem, or would i have to replace it with a modem-router.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

JohnP.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> If this is so will an ordinary wireless router do the job with my
> Speed Touch ADSL USB modem, or would i have to replace it with a
> modem-router.

You can get a ADSL modem that uses a RJ45 connection and not USB may be
the ISP can replace the USB one or you can buy one that uses the RJ45
connection just make sure it's a modem that's approved to run on the
ISP's network.

Then you can buy a standalone ADSL wire/wireless Access Point NAT router
that uses RJ45 and connect it to the modem and be done with it.

Wireless and ICS is suspect to say the least about it.

Duane :)