win xp pro upgrade on more than one pc at a time.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

my friend has 3 computers in his house all running win 98.

he asked me if i knew if he would run into problems if he bought a single
copy of windows xp pro upgrade version and installed it on all three
systems.

i told him that is likely to contravene the terms of his EULA and probably
be illegal but he still wants to know if it would work.

(I told him I didn't know if it would work but i might be able to find out)

dave

No. he cannot do this. Once it is installed on the first computer and
activated, he cannot activate it on the other two. The license that he
agreed to when he opened the software clearly sates that it can be installed
on one and only one computer.

Bobby

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:46:48 GMT, dave wrote:

> my friend has 3 computers in his house all running win 98.
>
> he asked me if i knew if he would run into problems if he bought a single
> copy of windows xp pro upgrade version and installed it on all three
> systems.
>
> i told him that is likely to contravene the terms of his EULA and probably
> be illegal but he still wants to know if it would work.
>
> (I told him I didn't know if it would work but i might be able to find out)
>
> dave

He will have problems when it comes to activating Windows. Activation will
fail on the second and third PC.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Windows XP requires an individual license (Product Key) for
each installation on a different computer. Therefore, you will
need to purchase a new license for each additional installation
of Windows XP. However, you can use the same Windows XP
CD to install with a new Product Key.

In case you overlooked it:

On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement:

"For installation and use on one computer"
(see License Agreement for license terms).

Go to Start >Run box type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on the
"End-User License Agreement" and read it. Your answer
lies in that agreement.

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

How to obtain additional licenses for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814175&Product=winxp

How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP