Second Take: Call of Duty 4 Better Than Crysis?

sogggy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I vote for CoD4. The game feels like your playing through a movie, with the variation of missions, cinematic effects, plot, and intensity of fighting. Another point that the game scored high on for me is performance, with my aging computer I'm looking more and more for well made games that run well on yesterdays hardware, and CoD4 does just that.

Another point where CoD4 comes up strong for me is Multiplayer. and I'll outline why
1. Spawn system. One of my biggest peeves in any multi player game is being spawn camped. CoD4 seems to have found a solution where the game spawns you away from the enemy in parts of the map controlled by your team. this is an A++ feature in my book

2. Bullet penetration. This adds a whole new dimension to the game allowing for a player to bypass the "smack a mole" standoff and go straight for the kill.

3. Maps. The CoD4 multiplayer environments are so detailed and cluttered that a player can actually easily hide without being spotted, something that I feel is lacking from most other multiplayer games

4. Graphics. Crazy tracers, depth of field, lighting, and many other well thought out graphic effects lend the game a chaotic, cinematic feel for an immersive game experience

5. Modes. Cod4's many multiplayer game modes have something for everyone and always offer a change of pace.

6. Ranking. Similar to BF2's ranking system, CoD4 pulls ahead with its arcade like in game updates, faster ranking, challenge bonuses, and custom kit systems making for an addictive experience.

Crysis is also a great game. I played through the demo, but thought felt to much like farcry, and I don't know if anyone will agree with me but it felt like the game designer was on a Halo binge. I haven't played the multi player yet but it would have to pull a giant rabbit out of the hat to be as good as CoD4s

solid

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
People compare Crysis to Farcry, but I would compare CoD4 to CoD2.

The two games feel the same to me. The only difference is you have modern guns and instead of Nazis you shoot "Terrorists". The weapon handling feels identical. The only challenge in the game is the number of enemies they throw at you.

CoD4 is a recycled game in that the feel of the character feels identical to the old game. The speed you run, the way you shoot, the idiotic AI.

The story mode is vary dumbed down all you get is some explosions and constant enemies. I think Crysis single player has a lot more freedom and options compared to the "checkpoint" style of CoD4.

The multiplayer in a game is only as good as the people playing it, so CoD4 is better for multi-player if that's all your interested though UT III was just released. Crysis multiplayer is nice, but the lack of permanent ranking makes it feel like an afterthought add on rather than an independent game mode.

Singleplayer: Crysis
Multiplayer: CoD4

jimbobhickville

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I haven't played the full version of Crysis yet, but comparing the Crysis demo to CoD4, I have to go with Crysis. I had a lot more fun, the AI was more realistic, the suit options made for amazing gameplay options, and the environment was a lot more open. That said, the Cod4 single player is really excellent, too. The multiplayer hasn't clicked with me so much yet, but maybe I just need to unlock more things to fully appreciate it.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
I was actually very surprised at robs opinion of COD4. I mean, its a good game, but its just a rehash of cod2 with a couple of new things thrown in there, like the sniper mission, or the helicopter mission.

I've played through both games. I played crysis on normal, and COD4 on hardened. I've played the crysis demo on all the difficulties so I have an idea of what its like.

I agree with the above post saying that COD4 feels just like COD2. It's exactly the same, and it's because it uses the same engine with some visual enhancements. COD4 doesn't really look all that fantastic to me. I played CoD4 on max, and crysis on high, and the visuals on crysis are far beyond what cod4 was capable of. I mean COD4 was definitely up there, but not at the top. I would say that games like Gears of War and Assassin's Creed look better than that.

The major downfall for me, is the idiotic AI in that game. it was very clear that it was massively scripted, far more than crysis. Crysis does a better job at making the enemies act natural, and hiding that computed script feel that cod4 has. Obviously there are situations that are clearly scripted but they are few and far between. Also the way that the AI fights you, is pretty realistic. They don't automatically know where you are, and they respond to your actions other than just swivel and shoot you. COD4 had a lot of that, you couldn't sneak up on anyone that wasn't scripted. Enemies just swivel your way and always know where you are. In crysis, that happens with vehicles and turrets sometimes, but seems more like a bug than game design. But if you run at the KPA using speed boost, they scream because you've surprised them, half a second ago you were 20 metres away.

And again, the enemy spawning is ridiculous. Just waves of enemies appear until you kill so many or you advance. Crysis has all the enemies at specific points, as they go about their business, possibly unaware if you were quiet, or searching for you if they heard gunfire. but they don't all just pile in, they actually have to come from around the base, away from their post to come fight you.

I don't know what you guys were expecting from crysis, but i was expecting an advanced FarCry. FarCry is my all time favourite campaign shooter, and crysis really put emphasis on that gameplay. COD4, i was expecting improved AI and game mechanics and movement, but I was disappointed. I will give COD4 praise for its multiplayer. I love the MP, and my clan and I play it often. Not so much crysis MP, while its fun, its too battlefieldish for me.

The story for either game is pretty lacking, although i found some of the elements it had on gameplay exciting in crysis. ie midway through the game (I won't spoil it, but those of you who've played it know what im talking about).

What games need, with respect to AI, is to make enemies make more mistakes. Like maybe the AI didn't notice you sitting in the 2nd floor window of a house, or maybe their gun jams or they trip on something. it doesn't have to be often, but once in a while, seeing something like that really helps them feel more human. we make mistakes, so it makes sense to have them make mistakes too.

wicko, for you idea on weapon jamming don't you remember Americas Army and how your weapon would jam at the worst ossible time? I don't think people want to be in an intense fight and have to un jam their weapon.

I see COD4 as a nice game. Its a war so of course you will have an onslaught of enemies most of the time especially terrorist willing to die for their beleif. Crysis is more of a hey there is no war but somethings going on we need to find out what.

But the Crysis demo did have moments where KPA would come out of nowhere. The first base, if you scout the area only has about 4 KPA. If you snipe one(and this happened to me even when I sniped a person that was far away) one guy will call more with a flare. And it did happen to me sometimes when I sniped the guy who was the farthest away from the rest and unseeable.

The AI in COD4 acts as I would expect. They know where you are sometimes when they shouldn't but are not stupid. They will shoot through the wall, throw a grenade. Same with Crysis. Although I found the AI in Crysis pretty stupid most of the time but I compare to HL2 AAI(for the Combine) who would flank around you and come from behind or have one distract you while the rest found another way to get to you.

Graphics wise, Vrysis is better but what good is better when you cannot use it? I mean even SLI 8800GTX's on a QX6700 only got 3FPS more than one 8800GTX.

Sound wise, COD has always had great music in their games. Crysis wasn't that bad. As expected. Although I am a stealth kinda guy for I guess I didn't pay attention to the music as I was thinking much like I did in Tenchu "Sneaky...sneaky...sneak...sneak....KILL!!!!"

Over all they are both good games but Crysis kinda didn't impress me gameplay wise. Only thing new to it was the suit and where it changes gameplay its nothing "Dynamic". Hell in Oblivion you can doo all of that via spells. Invisability, speed enhance, armor enhance and strength enhance. Plus you could stack them so you could be a super strong and fast invisable/silent killer.

Aqua1ung

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
CoD 4 is the better game!!!Crysis is good(I havn't finished it yet)pretty to look at,but just not the same feel as CoD 4.From the start to the end it grabs you and doesn't let go.It feels like your the star of a action flick.AI is a little weak but overall great great fun,and the multi-player will keep this around on my hard drive for quite a while.Crysis for what I've played so far is still very good,just different.....slower paced,GREAT visuals,smarter AI,not as scripted.Story line so-so.Don't know what the ending is like but it sounds like a letdown.And I haven't even tried the multi-player.Too busy with CoD4 and TF2.Anyway you look at we PC gamers are all very lucky for this has been one of the best years for PC Gaming.Good luck on picking the Game of the Year!! :)

uzi4u2

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
In single player Crysis isnt that great ....but in Multi it kicks ass !
cant even put it in the same catagory as COD4 , its just not the same .
COD4 is too much a point and shoot game in MP not much more then that .
Crysis has way more options to it , way too early in the morning for details ( stealth mode anyone ? ) :D

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
eh, I said the enemies should have their guns jam, and its not like it has to be common. just, once in a while little quirks happen to enemies, to keep it realistic.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Crysis is just as the editor says...it is a sandbox. A physics sandbox. I get the feeling of freedom to play with AI and objects when I start the game. My favorite part of is is actually how smooth the editor works.

On the other hand COD4 has so much more intense game play though. More story and more going on in each scene.

I think it is hard to compare the two SP though because they have completely different game styles. COD4 is the same as previous releases where it leads you through a path...that is not bad but it cuts out the exploration aspect to it. The..."if you see it you can get to it" aspect of Crysis is pretty cool though too.

Side note about halo...Isn't that Cortana (the same person) narrating in the opening scene of Crysis? If not, it still felt like I was starting up Halo. I was disappointed with the aliens in Crysis too. Right out of the matrix. Blah.

randomizer

Champion
The video didn't work for me. I clicked on it and it brought up a windows mobile ad. Man they are hiding ads everywhere now.

EDIT: Ok, it worked the second time without stupid M$ ads, what is going on with this site?

randomizer

Champion
"Crysis ending... not been getting the most favourable reviews"

Understatement of the month award :lol:

Crysis was way too predictable and the ending was, in all honesty, hopelessly pathetic. Graphics will only get you so far and you don't play games just to look at the graphics, you play them coz they are supposed to be fun and immersive. Crysis had it's moments, but I always felt like I knew what was gonna happen next. I haven't played CoD4 yet, probably won't for a while since I don't have the game.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I was actually very surprised at robs opinion of COD4. I mean, its a good game, but its just a rehash of cod2 with a couple of new things thrown in there, like the sniper mission, or the helicopter mission.

I've played through both games. I played crysis on normal, and COD4 on hardened. I've played the crysis demo on all the difficulties so I have an idea of what its like.

I agree with the above post saying that COD4 feels just like COD2. It's exactly the same, and it's because it uses the same engine with some visual enhancements. COD4 doesn't really look all that fantastic to me. I played CoD4 on max, and crysis on high, and the visuals on crysis are far beyond what cod4 was capable of. I mean COD4 was definitely up there, but not at the top. I would say that games like Gears of War and Assassin's Creed look better than that.

Wicko! Say it ain't so! Frankly, Call of Duty 2 was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I can'y believe someone has likened it to my beloved CoD4! Ack!

OK, I'm calm now. But I do think you're being hard on CoD4 in the graphics department. Are you talking about the 360 version? I ask because you mentioned Gears and Assassin's Creed, so I wasn't sure.

The major downfall for me, is the idiotic AI in that game.

The AI in CoD4 wasn't great, but I didn't notice as many issues as you did. I guess I'll have to go back and play again and keep a closer eye on things, but to be honest the game moves so fast that the constant respawning and some AI blunders didn't make an impact on me. Also, in terms of Crysis, I actually thought the AI was worse, of course I'll have to go back and play that one again too. The thing that really bothered me was I could cloak, go into a room or trailer with only one door, and just sit there and blast KPA guys as they walked through the door. That seemed kind of silly, even if I was cloaked. I mean there's a stack of bodies in front of the door and you can see guys getting blown away. Maybe you should toss a grenade in there first.

Another thing that bothered me about the AI was section where you take on the KPA at the factory. There were two KPAs wearing nano suits on the roof, and I found that I could just sit back near some cover and fire shot after shot at those guys and all they did was run around in circles like Cameron Diaz's brother in "There's Something About Mary." At the very least, I expected them to take cover and move to another location (like in FEAR,for example) instead of just randomly ducking. Seriously, at one point I climbed the tower after downing the helicopter and started blasting the Nano suit KPAs on the roof, and they never fired back. I wasn't even cloaked! That made it way too easy.

Like I said, I'll go back and play both again with an eye on the AI.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

I'm confused because I don't think I've ever seen an ad pop-up or overlap on the video page. What does it look like? And why did you click anything on the video player? Doesn't it start automatically as soon as the page loads? Is it a trap ad?

As for the subject of ads, hey, THG needs to make money to pay my massive salary. I mean, anyone can see from the video that I'm a star in the making. But seriously, if you're having issues with ads -- I mean real issues, not just the "I wish there were no ads" thing -- then let us know, we'll do our best to resolve them.

randomizer

Champion
Ok to clarify, I got to the video by the main page, not this thread. It didn't start at all, just sat there with no timer and the progress bar didn't do anything. I clicked play, but I soon realised that the whole player was a link to a "windows mobile" ad. If I could get it to do it again, I'd show you where it sent me.

EDIT: I got it to do it again, this time deliberately by right clicking on the player and clicking 'play'. The player progress stalls and the whole thing then becomes a link to this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/startdoingmore/default.aspx?WT.mc_id=sdmvan

I understand THG needs to make money, but this is not the way to do it.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Oh yuck. That's terrible. Seems like a trap ad that cloaks over the player and tricks you into clicking it. You're right, this sucks. I'll look into it, and sorry for the incovenience -- though it may cut into my massive salary:)

GoldenEye4ever

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I've played both Crysis and COD4 all the way through.

I was expecting so much more from COD4. It was nice, but too damn linear. You don't really have any freedoms. Granted that's what military service is like...still Crysis raped COD4 in the (freedom of choice) department.

If you have a good gaming rig, Crysis looks way better than COD4.

As for the multiplayer, I wasn't really impressed by either game.
I was expecting COD4 to go back to it's roots (COD) but instead they made it way too close-combat and VERY small levels.
I was hoping Crysis would be amazing (I thought that Crytek would have learned from FarCry). My only big beef with Crysis' multiplayer is that you have to buy better guns. Just let me start as a sniper damn-it.

As for endings: COD4 kills Crysis. I'm just wondering when the expansion pack for Crysis will be available.

In the end, I have to choose Crysis over COD4. The open-concept levels and INSANE scenery just blow COD4 out of the water, even though the ending kinda sucked.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'm probably the only person here that feels this way, but I was completely disappointed by both.

Call of Duty 4 play just like Call of Duty 1,2, and 3. They're the same game in a different place and time with little bitty additions. Yeah, graphics are better, but it plays the same. And I think the AI in CoD is laughable. They ignore everyone else and divert attention directly to you. VERY unrealistic.

Crysis suffers from the same problem at CoD4. It's just a prettier farcry with a different plot.

Why buy games that you've already experienced? Give us something NEW.