Sign in with
Your question

Whats better for gaming, CPU or GPU? Which GPU for me?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
October 29, 2006 12:09:46 AM

Hey this might be a simple question for you, but what is better for gaming, a good CPU or GPU?

Also, I am having trouble deciding which GPU to get. Tom's Charts show the ATI gets more FPS, but is it still good? Here are my 2 choices.

ATI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

NVIDIA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I am currently going to get an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (AM2 socket). It will be paired up with the ECS (ATI 3200 chipset) on newegg. Im going to try out ATI and AMD since they are a little cheaper for my budget, $750. This is also going to be my first build. If you want to see my wishlist, let me have your email and I will email it to you. (I dont know how to make it public, if you know how, let me know :)  )

Thanks.

More about : whats gaming cpu gpu gpu

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2006 12:25:30 AM

gpu makes the biggest bang for gaming.
and in say 6 months or so the cpu will start to come in to play also.
October 29, 2006 12:32:35 AM

CPU already comes into play....however your aiming for midranged GPU's so I wouldnt worry with that being a factor in this case.
Related resources
October 29, 2006 12:34:11 AM

Quote:
i wouldn't reccomend any of these cards, especially with dx10 comming out in a few weeks

why wouldnt you recommend them?
October 29, 2006 12:35:47 AM

just said why, anyways for a little more money he can get that x1950pro

EDIT: and it'll smoke these two
October 29, 2006 12:36:30 AM

7600GT is newer, but they both run pretty par with one another. If you can do the rebate, then the 7600GT. If you dont want to wait, then the x850xt factors in. And even with DX10 coming out in a few weeks, your price range wont factor in that kind of power. So either one will give you equal performance. What powersupply you plan to use on one of these cards?
October 29, 2006 12:40:39 AM

Your main recommendation was because "dx10 was right around the corner"

So essentially purchasing an X1950 would be worse in the way that you are paying more for a GPU with your new API a few weeks away.

Either its a typo or I'm missunderstanding why you would say that??
October 29, 2006 12:44:03 AM

i meant, he should go for x1950pro if he can't wait for dx10(release and prices to go down)

here's a little info on that card, also they compare it to 7900gs
Benchmarks - ATI face up to the 7900GS
October 29, 2006 12:45:02 AM

my bad then. I'd fully support that suggestion provided he has the $$$
October 29, 2006 12:47:34 AM

yeah, i think it's worth it $$$.
man i can't wait to get my hands on a dx10 card, as you can see i'm struggling with x1600 pro 512mb pcie :oops: 
October 29, 2006 12:49:24 AM

Yeah that stings....
October 29, 2006 12:51:56 AM

yeah, i know. I mean i play oblivion, fear etc on max settings but still that card doesn't "look good" with my oc c2d rig
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2006 12:53:18 AM

hell guys when dx10 is really out and starting to gain popularity
or once more games are utilizing it.

well any dx9 card will suck :cry: 
October 29, 2006 12:54:13 AM

that is the hard truth :lol: 
Anonymous
October 29, 2006 12:55:32 AM

Since everyone says that a Gpu will work better, I will go with that after I get my stuff.

The problem with the 1950xpro, is that is over my budget.

I will use this PSU: INWIN

I will probaly wait to see what D10 does to prices. (I have to buy this computer in "parts" I cant afford it all at once. So far I have case, PSU, hd, and cddrive.) I will be ordering the MOBO in a few days. Also, is that a good Mobo for CF?ECS Mobo

I really don't plan on upgrading to D10 until late next year, along with Vista and another Gig of ram.

So you guys agree on me selecting the Athlon 64 3500+ (AM2) for my gaming? I mean, its AM2, so it will be VERY upgradable in the future, and I might be able to OC it a little.

One other question I have is, how do you make wishlists at Newegg Public?
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2006 1:02:20 AM

Quote:
**** off please, i don't feel like arguing right now. thanx in advance

Quote:
*****'s off. Let me know when you feel up to it.

ANIMALS!!!
October 29, 2006 1:03:07 AM

Hehe, he started it! *Bares his teeth I'm still waiting for feedback on what I posted.
October 29, 2006 1:04:41 AM

i did not, i made a simple comment and you had to make a big deal out of it, but well what's done is done
October 29, 2006 1:08:59 AM

Quote:
If you want to get a fast computer and forego gaming a bit

Obviously if he's sinking money into a GPU, gaming is in the cards....

Quote:

spend your money on 4 gigs of RAM and a chip.

Memory address can't handle 4GB of RAM at a time with XP which is probably what he's using. Besides...2GB is more than enough for the time being...

Quote:

But before you do that, get yourself a solid case and PSU.
Those two things should be first on your list everytime.

PSU; YES.... case should be a distant concern. Your internal component quality comes 1st and foremost.

Quote:

Get yourself a mobo with an onboard GPU or find the cheapest compatible graphics card you can find.

Why?? Thats going to really kill his performance, which is something I dont think he wants.
October 29, 2006 1:20:51 AM

Quote:
just said why, anyways for a little more money he can get that x1950pro

EDIT: and it'll smoke these two

It's always only for "a little bit more money" LOL
October 29, 2006 1:21:32 AM

LOL
October 29, 2006 1:23:31 AM

If you want to get a fast computer and forego gaming a bit, spend your money on 4 gigs of RAM and a chip. But before you do that, get yourself a solid case and PSU. Those two things should be first on your list everytime. I recommend a PSU 700w+ if you plan on getting powerful graphics in the future. Get yourself a mobo with an onboard GPU or find the cheapest compatible graphics card you can find.
October 29, 2006 1:26:14 AM

are you talking to me or czgncdoe ?
October 29, 2006 1:27:57 AM

Don't go by who the reply was to. LOL Just think. I didn't feel like scrolling up. Sorry! I usually quote if I'm in direct convo to someone from farther up on the list.
October 29, 2006 1:28:45 AM

Quote:
I didn't feel like scrolling up. Sorry!

8O
October 29, 2006 1:32:53 AM

So Ass, do you agree or not?
October 29, 2006 1:34:20 AM

it's assman, and no
October 29, 2006 1:36:25 AM

Onboard graphics can be disabled and won't kill his performance then. It'll give him time to wait for DX10 cards to come down in price without spending $150 on a card he wants to replace. Furthermore, if he upgrades his computer mobo before buying a new card he can re-enable his onboard GPU and use the mobo as a secondary computer.

A case can last you for more than a decade if it's solid, you can always throw your old components into an old case and resell it or store them in a closet. You look at your case everyday, push the power button on it, and it provides you with X number of PCI slots and X number of bays and X number of front ports. Who wants to fiddle with sharp edges, and crappy builds. Get a big sexy one and then reuse it. Cases have come a tremendous distance in just a few years. This Kandalf case I have can be outdone by newer cases, but it'll last me for YEARS, and even if I don't use it for 10 years, it can house a decent older computer when I upgrade. For $150 it wasn't an enormous investment. My PSU, Chip, and Mobo cost more, and I'm pretty darn sure they'll all get tossed long before my case.

Someone back me up on what I'm saying? But thank you Raven, at least you STAY ON TOPIC. :-)
October 29, 2006 1:41:28 AM

Unless your name is in reference to Seinfeld, then I'll feel free to abbreviate your name. Afterall, you chose it. Not like your folks gave it to you. :-) You could at least list reasons why you don't agree...but I'm not sure I care. I feel I'm right or I wouldn't have given my opinion. I more or less just wanted some intelligent pondering, not debate. He has my opinion and if he wants more he can PM me. :-P I'll TTYL Ass.
October 29, 2006 1:46:11 AM

try and stay on the topic please
October 29, 2006 1:49:48 AM

Quote:
are you talking to me or czgncdoe ?

Quote:
I didn't feel like scrolling up. Sorry!

8O
Quote:
it's assman, and no

Quote:
try and stay on the topic please

Ok there Mr. 1 Sentence Reply.
I don't see anything in your last 4 replies "on topic" not since I posted what I posted. You could've just responded to the topic at hand in your FIRST reply. I don't understand people sometimes.
October 29, 2006 1:50:09 AM

your heart is in the right place, but i prefer to spend as little as possible on the case (eg. mini tower) and replace it and the entire computer once every 3 or 4 years

having said that i may regret a mini tower if these dx10 cards turn out to be too large to fit inside come the end of next year
October 29, 2006 1:53:16 AM

fuck off please, i don't feel like arguing right now. thanx in advance
October 29, 2006 1:54:09 AM

Either way...except for one thing. When selling a junk computer to uneducated consumers...it's best to have it all dressed up and sexi. It's like selling a zonked Ferrari to someone. :-P It's still a Ferrari to them.

I find it's better to have a great case, and then buy crappy ones to toss my old parts into. This way every now and then you get the above statement when you trade off your old case, and you get to enjoy a nice case during all that time.
October 29, 2006 1:56:45 AM

*****'s off. Let me know when you feel up to it.
Anonymous
October 29, 2006 1:46:34 PM

Um, that will cost me my whole bugdet, thank you very much. I plan on upgrading, but not to those specs this early.

Also, I have a mid-tower atx case that will do me just fine.

I will be using XP home.

I guess you guys forget that this is my first build, and I don have but $750 to spend. I have spendt $200 so far. I will get the X850 for now, until D10 cards get priced down. If D10 cards are too big for my case, then I will get a bigger case.

My case only cost $25. :D  Its strudy and plenty of fans, plenty of room. (I plan on installing a Vantec Tornado though for the intake fan)

Here is it. Linkworld.
October 30, 2006 5:13:31 PM

Have it....rather flimsy, but your call. Works fine for my needs....but me needs for that paticular case arent much.
October 30, 2006 5:36:41 PM

Are you talking about the fan?
November 3, 2006 3:51:40 PM

The case....
!