How can I make my Maxtor one touch 2 USB drive work with Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewl1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
My Maxtor One Touch 2 USB drive worked fine with XP and Vista 32 bit but Windows 7 does not see it in My Computer. I can'r find a new driver on the Maxtor site even though MS says to go there. Any ideas?

kewl1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Wow, I'm amazed. Thanks for your reply. No I had not tried it on another Windows 7 computer. I never even thought of that. I did try it on an XP computer and it did show up there. What I did do next was download that virtual version of XP or whatever you call it to run XP from within Windows 7 and it did show up and work fine that way ie within xp.

Now after reading your post, I plugged it into mt Thinkpad running the same Windows 7 (without the XP download) and voila, it shows up and works with no problem. How do we explain this? My Thinkpad has a driver that my desktop does not have? If it does have a new driver then why does the desktop not have it? Both computers have the same windows 7 from the same installation disk and both have been updated using windows update.

Thanks again. Oh and I could not find Windows 7 drivers on the Maxtor site. Microsoft said they were there and had a link to the site but I could not find anything there. I will go back again just in case

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If it runs in XP mode, then it's a software compatabilty problem with the Maxtor software, not hardware driver.
XP mode is for software only, the fact that it worked without additional drivers proves that it's not a driver issue.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The files that autorun on the Maxtor drive when you plug it in, it's not anything you install. Use the system that recognises the drive any look for any startup files in the root directory.
The One Touch is a push button backup drive, there must be some files on it somewhere in order for the backup to work.

kewl1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
The Maxtor drive had had a problem whereby when I plugged it into the USB port it would say the drive needs to be formatted. Also it did not show in "Computer" but would show in computer management. I finally found some special recovery software that allowed me to rescue most of the over 100 gigs of files. I then formatted the drive. Perhaps something on the drive is missing? I've looked on the C drive of the laptop that does not have the problem as you suggested but unfortunately I don't really know what I'm looking for,

G

I may have found a solution for the Maxtor / Windows 7 problem.

First, download from the Seagate site the Maxtor Manager application. Install it, and (this can't hurt) set it to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Then, if you are like me, over time you get your power cords and adaptors mixed up. The plug in teh back of the Mactor II and III series drives is a pretty universal one, so a lot of adapters will fit. YOU MUST USE A POWER ADAPTER WITH A DC OUTPUT OF 12.0 V / 3.0 AMPS.

run the Maxtor Manager app, then plug in your Maxtor drive. It does not matter if the drive is powered up before or after you plug it in. Once it is powered, two things will happen: the Maxtor Manager app will pop up and display the drive, and then Windows will run its Autoplay song and dance.

I was struggling for three days on this before I realized I had the wrong damn power adapter. If you have a lower output adapter, the drive will power up, spin and the light will come on, but it will NOT be recognized.

Hopefully this is the solution for some of you out there who, like me, have a rats nest of power cords collected from all the various drives and peripherals. Don't just select one that fits the plug!

Let me know if that works for anyone.

Jcole25301

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Thank you! Lost all my data including two hard drives that were attached and running to an infected email attachment. My Maxtor III was off thank god so I got most of it back, but I couldn't get my house computer to recognize it.

You were right on! I was using the wrong adapter. By the way ya'll, if you get a delivery message from the post office with a zip file attachment don't open it! It's a nasty virus. It wiped my docs and pictures, but I was able to use restore point to recover my operating system.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS