How do you get your comp to stop doing atomatic IDE scans?

GamePlayWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
How do you get your comp to stop doing atomatic IDE scans bios(black screen) at startup? it gets anoying and takes longer for my system to boot that way please help me with this?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hit your delete button when it posts to get into your bios and then change the settings.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
if im not mistaken, you cant, and if you could you shouldnt. because the motherboard is trying to identify the hard drive. its not really the motherboards fault. if its exceedingly slow your hard drive is likely why it is taking so long. i would make sure the cable is attached properly, also.

GamePlayWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
well normaly id agree with you but i dont have IDE hard drives i got Cables Unlimited Ultra Wide SCSI Card 68 Pin I/O Card, PCI, w/Bios and
Seagate / 73.4GB @15K / 8MB Hard Drive(3X) so their for i dont need my mother bord doing that IDE scan so how do i stop it??

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure you're wrong there mpilch.

Del into your BIOS at boot and search for a page which has something with the 4 IDE channels on it, then just set them all to 'none' (except your CD drive) and it won't do the boot up seek. It works on most mobos I can think of.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Most BIOSes will give you some options which will end up doing what you want. When I said "Most", that excludes the BIOSes from a lot of prebuilt machines such as HP, Compaq, Dell, eMachines and such. Some of those will provide the settings I mention and some won't.

If your machine has a decent BIOS you can do either one of the following:

1. In the screen that lists your IDE drives, you can manually set each drive to "none" or "disabled" (instead of "auto") - This is very often in the opening screen. It is also sometimes found by selecting "hard drive detection" or something similar to that.

2. In the "advanced options" (if your BIOS provides them) you can disable the primary and secondary IDE controllers. This will most definitely result in your machine not attempting to detect IDE drives.

In either case, it is very important that you enable "Boot from other devices" or "Boot from SCSI" (depending on your BIOS verbage) under the BOOT ORDER menu (which your BIOS hopefully provides).

If you don't see any of the options I mentioned then you might actually be out of luck.

HTH.