Sign in with
Your question

X1900GT driver issues and black screen HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2006 1:15:03 AM

Fellas,

I just spent 8 hours today try'n to get this P.O.S. ATI to work.
My specs are:
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6600
MOBO: MSI 975X Platinum
RAM: 1Gx2|CORSAIR 240P TWIN2X2048-6400C4
CPU Fan: CPU FAN ZALMAN|CNPS9500 AT RTL
HARDDRIVE: Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150gig

I have everything built and go to install Windows XP SP2, I update the drivers for the MOBO, Video Card to Catalyst Version 6.6 and restart. When I restart the machine it goes all the way to the Windows Loading screen for 2-3secs and the screen goes black and does nothing. I had to blow the Harddrive and reinstall Windows 8 times and the issue is the Catalyst Drivers for the Video Card I have installed 6.6, 6.8 and 6.9 and they all give the same thing. I can update everything else except the VGA drivers and it work fine. Is anyone else having this issue??? And can ANYONE please help me out with this issue. I wanted to give ATI a chance since I haven't had a VGA card from them in 6 years and wanted to get out of the Nvidia rut...but now I'm having second thoughts about ATI's drivers and support.
November 5, 2006 1:16:25 PM

I have the same problem, my system is
intel core 2 duo with 1Gb ram
Motherboard P5B Deluxe
Sapphire 1900GT
generic CRT 17''

If I use latest ati catalyst monitor goes to sleep mode (stand by, dead monitor) I´ve found other forums with this post ( i can´t put links until 5 post on this forum :p ):

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=118027
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/X1900GT-driver-...
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=17907
http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33869320

Have you find more people with this problem, I´ve submitted a ticke to ATI and sapphire but they have not reply yet.

When I use my LCD I could see in catalyst that my CRT monitor is detected as a LCD flat panel!! so may be catalyst tray to put in the crt a wrong resolution/refresh rate
November 5, 2006 2:49:17 PM

But does the screen work when you havent installed the drivers?
Related resources
November 5, 2006 3:00:44 PM

Yes if I use the uninstall utility from ati i get normal windos boot with no black screen (sleep mode indeed) and windows detect a new graphics device then i cancel that and make a catalyst install.
You should try the drivecleaner program. if you cant log on try "VGA mode", (pressing F8 when windows starts and selecting that). Then you make complete uninstall of the ati drivers and use the (drivecleaner) to clean ati files. I check many catalyst versión and the last that works for me is the 6.7. For 6.8 and 6.9 6.10 I get the black screen.

If this doesnt help you may have a different issue. Did you install first the 6.8, 6.9 or 6.10? and then the 6.7? At frist I did that and i get black screen until I do that procedure of uninstall all and use (drivecleaner)
November 13, 2006 6:24:17 AM

Ive just experienced this HORRIBLE bug.

Everything was working fine on my Asus A7V600-X/X1600 Pro system. Until I decided to update from 6.4 to 6.10. The monitor is CRT running through and adapter out of one of the DVI.

After updating to 6.10 the monitor started going to standby when loging into windows. (Changing resolutions)

Ive tried EVERYTHING to fix it. Ive gone back to 6.7, 6.4 and about to try older (5.9 wont support the card). No luck yet. Even though I was using 6.4 before hand without issues.

I can enter windows in VGA mode, but as soon as i try to set the res or refresh the monitor again goes to standby.

Im using it through a remote desktop app at the moment. I checked the refresh rates and even with the proper drivers installed for the monitor, its not detecting the maximum refresh and by default had set itself to 200hz. Even after setting that back to 60/75/85 or anything else, it still wouldnt turn on.

Ive used driver cleaner between each install, even played around with the advanced settings in ATITT. None of which made a difference.

Ill see what happens after the older drivers. I cant imagine why the 6.4's are no longer working, as they were previously.

Tried another CRT and get exactly the same problem. Also tried 4 different DVI adpaters without luck. I discovered that using the alternate DVI port will cause the monitor to work, but its displaying everything with green tint.

Dont know what else to do.
November 19, 2006 8:43:12 PM

Wow it worked!!!!!!! Only took me some 48 hours to figure out lol, yea this driver seems to work, I just finished installing sp2 and none of the problems I had before appear with this driver. I will post here if I have any problems. Hope this helps u guys.

Well I was readint his thread and I think I have same issues, with brand new pc I put together, I got a gigabyte GA-M555SLI-S4 motherboard, athlon 64 x2 4600+, 500gig sata maxtor hard drive, 120 gig ide caviar, 1 gig 667mhz ddr2 ram, x1900 gt video ati, sony dvd-rw dual layer. Well I have been struggling with this since yesterday. The computer flies with windows xp with no service pack, the plain old windows xp, I install the ati catalyst and evrything is great. But if I install Sp2 my system crashes right as it is about to finish and then I cant boot anymore. So i reformated and tried just using sp1a and works great, it always crashes when sp2 comes into play. I thought it was a power supply not giving enough power so I wnet out and got a 100 dollar power supply lol. I looked on ati website and found this which ,might be solution

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8...

My mb is based on nforce, and so are a few others I have seen here, so this might fix this. I am installing windows xp as we speak, this is like 20th time in 2 days lol, Ill post what happens when I get driver installed, hope it works or im excahning my video card lol.
November 20, 2006 1:10:26 PM

Quote:
Wow it worked!!!!!!! Only took me some 48 hours to figure out lol, yea this driver seems to work, I just finished installing sp2 and none of the problems I had before appear with this driver. I will post here if I have any problems. Hope this helps u guys.

Well I was readint his thread and I think I have same issues, with brand new pc I put together, I got a gigabyte GA-M555SLI-S4 motherboard, athlon 64 x2 4600+, 500gig sata maxtor hard drive, 120 gig ide caviar, 1 gig 667mhz ddr2 ram, x1900 gt video ati, sony dvd-rw dual layer. Well I have been struggling with this since yesterday. The computer flies with windows xp with no service pack, the plain old windows xp, I install the ati catalyst and evrything is great. But if I install Sp2 my system crashes right as it is about to finish and then I cant boot anymore. So i reformated and tried just using sp1a and works great, it always crashes when sp2 comes into play. I thought it was a power supply not giving enough power so I wnet out and got a 100 dollar power supply lol. I looked on ati website and found this which ,might be solution

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8...

My mb is based on nforce, and so are a few others I have seen here, so this might fix this. I am installing windows xp as we speak, this is like 20th time in 2 days lol, Ill post what happens when I get driver installed, hope it works or im excahning my video card lol.

The link you provided only goes to the support index, not to a solution. Could you copy and paste the info?
November 20, 2006 2:56:27 PM

Sorry about that, just in the search engine on the ati page i gave put this "737-22378" without quotes of course. This driver really works great, I have ru several games on it already and works great, played World of Warcraft, Call of duty 2, America's Army 2.7, The sims 2, Rise of NAtions: Rise of legends, all on the highest settings and it runs great.
November 27, 2006 6:15:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry about that, just in the search engine on the ati page i gave put this "737-22378" without quotes of course. This driver really works great, I have ru several games on it already and works great, played World of Warcraft, Call of duty 2, America's Army 2.7, The sims 2, Rise of NAtions: Rise of legends, all on the highest settings and it runs great.

Hi guys,
I don't really know what you mean, nickvda, cos your problem doesn't seem to be related with the black screen issue. It is a completely different thing.

Btw, I have the same problem. I can't make any newer catalyst work, the screen (LCD Philips 170c4 @ Sapphire X1900GT) always goes to sleep in the logon screen. I tried practically everything and 2 hours ago I officially gave up. The support of Ati is giving stupid solutions saying it is a mobo problem, I almost wrote them to F.O. I am really quite annoyed by it. I have had 4 Nvidia cards before, this is my first Ati. And my last. That's for sure.
Please, if anybody found out how to make it work, post a reply and help the rest of us out! :(  Thanks a lot!

Poco
November 27, 2006 9:00:06 AM

I have had the "Going to sleep upon windows start" problem before

It turned out to be a BIOS issue with an Abit motherboard, it may well be worth doing a motherboard bios update to see if that fixes the problem.

As strainge as it may seem I to spent a few hours, acutally make that a few days, looking at drivers and scratching my head to fix the problem but then decided to put it to one side and continued with a BIOS update and windows driver load. Finally decided to return to DVI cable problems and they had all gone. Checked the BIOS I updated and there in the list "Fixes DVI switching off when entering windows" was listed under an earlier revision, but above my oringinal BIOS version.
November 27, 2006 10:54:56 AM

I have to ask this: have you installed .Net 1.0/2.0? Ati drivers only work if .Net is installed.

Then, check ur bios and ensure that "init display first" or something similar is set to PEG in the configuration part of the bios. This setting forces the system to use the PCIx slot.

Ensure on a clean format and install, you install as follows:
1.) Install Windows XP with SP2 (assuming .Net goes with it - otherwise do a .Net installation after windows is installed)
2.) Install Intel Chipset drivers
3.) Install DX9.0c
4.) Graphics Card driver
5.) Sound card driver.
6.) Then all the crap for whatever motherboard you have.

You can mix 5 and 4 around. Before 6, check that everything is working.

Normally, windows crashes during logon/startup screen when there is overclocking with too little volts - IF you are overclocking the CPU, revert to default settings and see if Windows can start up.
November 27, 2006 5:36:47 PM

lol, I had same problem as you guys, my comp would login to windows xp, I woul only see windows xp loading then a crash. Once I did what I wrote again, it worked. So guysa that is the solution. And Ati is right it is a mobo problem, ur mobo is nvidia based causing compatibility issues with your video card, so you know the special driver that I lsited before
December 4, 2006 5:50:30 AM

I'm having the same problem... I first noticed when I installed Vista, but when I tried to revert back to XP with new drivers, same problem! It goes to sleep right after the loading screen (well, my monitor claims no signal).

I've got a Asus A8R-MVP motherboard, with crossfire. I'm really at a loss for what to do (except use these old drivers that came on the card's CD).

Has anyone else had this problem with a non-nforce motherboard and been able to fix it?

Thanks for any help...
December 4, 2006 9:04:01 PM

why dont you guys just turn off standby mode.. should be in the same area as hibernation.... then your monitor wont go into standby... and change your power settings to always on so that the monitor never turns off anytime..?
December 5, 2006 12:01:26 AM

The computer isn't actually going into hibernate mode. I can still hit enter and login... The monitor is just showing the same behavior.

At least that's the case for me.
December 21, 2006 8:11:57 PM

Has anyone found a solution to the black screen problem?

I am also affected with:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe (BIOS 1707)
Core2 Duo 6600
1GB RAM Corsair
Connect3D X1900XT 256MB
CRT Iiyama S702GT
Windows XP

I tried Catalyst 6.11 or 6.12 - it does not work - screen goes into standby on Windows boot. Omega drivers do not work. Generic Windows XP VGA Driver does work - at bad quality and only 60Hz refresh rate.

ATI finally works on my ticket, but no solution found yet. I am really considering switching to Nvidia!!!

Please, guys, report that to ATI so that they will consider this as a major problem!
December 22, 2006 1:36:17 AM

Ati will tell you nothing. That's the only thing they say. First you will just get an instruction how to properly install the drivers, then if you go on bothering them they will tell you it is a mobo problem. That's what they told me...
This is obviously a bad driver problem or some major compatibility issue (and no, it doesn't happen only with NF chipsets) and not a mobo, otherwise 6.7 wouldn't work for me either. No newer driver works. I already gave up trying and I will better stick to the working 6.7. After some time I will just change for Nvidia and done.
December 22, 2006 8:24:35 AM

Ok, thank you anyway for the information with the Catalyst 6.7. It works with me as well - back to eye-saving 100Hz. But this is still not a fully convincing solution! ATi is on the road to become a blacklisted manufacturer for me! :twisted:
December 24, 2006 1:02:47 AM

i have a x1900gt, intel p965lt mobo, core 2 duo e6300, 2gb memory ect.

what route would you guys suggest i take when installing drivers and bios ect ?

i will be using windows vista x64 edition most likely,
December 24, 2006 2:09:58 AM

uhh.. i have an x1900GT and it works perfectly fine... i use the catalyst 6.11 drivers.. but i dont use CCC i use ati tray tools and it works fine.. even got it go 575/700 without tweaking the voltage...
December 24, 2006 3:43:46 AM

Quote:
i have a x1900gt, intel p965lt mobo, core 2 duo e6300, 2gb memory ect.

what route would you guys suggest i take when installing drivers and bios ect ?

i will be using windows vista x64 edition most likely,

I do not know, man. I guess you will have to try. Maybe it will work without problems with the newest catalysts.

Quote:
uhh.. i have an x1900GT and it works perfectly fine... i use the catalyst 6.11 drivers.. but i dont use CCC i use ati tray tools and it works fine.. even got it go 575/700 without tweaking the voltage...

This unluckily doesn't work to me. I was hunching it may be something with CCC so I installed the drivers only, no other tool. Didn't solve anything. :( 
December 26, 2006 5:48:14 PM

Quote:
Fellas,

I just spent 8 hours today try'n to get this P.O.S. ATI to work.
My specs are:
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6600
MOBO: MSI 975X Platinum
RAM: 1Gx2|CORSAIR 240P TWIN2X2048-6400C4
CPU Fan: CPU FAN ZALMAN|CNPS9500 AT RTL
HARDDRIVE: Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150gig

I have everything built and go to install Windows XP SP2, I update the drivers for the MOBO, Video Card to Catalyst Version 6.6 and restart. When I restart the machine it goes all the way to the Windows Loading screen for 2-3secs and the screen goes black and does nothing. I had to blow the Harddrive and reinstall Windows 8 times and the issue is the Catalyst Drivers for the Video Card I have installed 6.6, 6.8 and 6.9 and they all give the same thing. I can update everything else except the VGA drivers and it work fine. Is anyone else having this issue??? And can ANYONE please help me out with this issue. I wanted to give ATI a chance since I haven't had a VGA card from them in 6 years and wanted to get out of the Nvidia rut...but now I'm having second thoughts about ATI's drivers and support.

Welcome to my world
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/ATI-PROBLEM-HEL...
December 29, 2006 3:17:21 AM

im hoping mine should work fine, becuz i'll be running vista and i was looking through the release notes on the beta drivers and ccc for vista and found this"

Applying or disabling the option "Reduce DVI Frequency on High Resolution Displays" found in the Catalyst Control Center, no longer results in display device displaying a black screen. This issue was known to occur under the Windows Vista operating system (64 bit) when using an ATI Radeon X1900 series of products

looks hopeful eh?
December 31, 2006 11:02:24 PM

Im having same issue here but when i tried omega drivers it seemed to work fine for a couple of days until it stopped working.. Any solution yet? Please!. Im probably switching to nvidia if this keeps up
January 2, 2007 3:24:35 AM

i used to get the problem make sure that your bios screen is showing that the graphics card as the primary diplay adapter. For the resolutions boot in safe mode and manually set the resolution to one that is supported by your monitor.

this should help sorry if it doesnt
January 6, 2007 5:01:33 AM

I ran into this issue as well. I just purchased a 1650 and it booted fine after being put into the case, detected and installed into the OS. Then on restart the monitor would go to sleep right after the Windows Loading screen.

After hours of fiddling and twice getting to the point where I couldn't get into windows regardless of the situation I decided to try another monitor. Problem solved...as long as I want to use my old 15". My 17" isn't new either (4 years), but clearly the drivers for the card are not allowing it to function properly with the monitor. (Compaq FS740)

This is clearly an ATI issue...and I'm disappointed. Perhaps I'll purchase a new monitor, but I shouldn't have to.
January 6, 2007 10:35:17 PM

Haven't had the issue for quite awhile know found out that my motherboard was slowly dieing. Until last week it totally died. bought a new one and works fine now.
January 11, 2007 1:17:55 AM

Just had the same problem with an AGP X1950pro. Installed fine and powered up with no problems until I tried to change the resolution, then nothing. Black screen. I tried 3 different drivers and updated my MOBO, but still black screen. Just to make sure I did reinstall my 6800gt and it worked great. I did give it one more try the next day. Nothing after 2 more driver versions. That was it for me. nVidia card went back in and I have no plans of ever buying an ATI again. I understand that doa's happen, but it does seem to be not just everyone once in a while from these posts. Just in case it matters, I run : AMD 4000xp San Diego, 2GB Value ram, 1x 74GB Raptor, 1x 500GB WD, Epox EP-9ndja3.
January 11, 2007 11:11:05 AM

Same problem here Asus with my brand new build Asus EAX1950Pro

I'm running a Giga GA-965P-DS3, Core 2 6600, 2 x 1 gig corsair ddr2 800.vga tft

All works fine until you install the device drivers. Then it goes to sleep a few seconds after the windows loading screen.

wifi card is connected and hard drive ticking over, computer is operational but no pictures.

Ive tried the latest 7.1 drivers.

Installed .NET 2.0 reboot then catalyst etc..

About to give up and get an Nvidia card.

Waited a month for this card to be delivered then it doesnt work!!!!
January 11, 2007 4:18:35 PM

Try updating your bios and if still having issues try to see if you can run windows in safemode. I fixed my problem by replacing my motherboard.
January 11, 2007 4:35:56 PM

Quote:
Try updating your bios and if still having issues try to see if you can run windows in safemode. I fixed my problem by replacing my motherboard.

I dont' think it is a MB problem since I am getting the same problem with my Asus x1950Pro and Asus P5B. When I launch any game or DVD software I get the "Black Screen"

It isn't my PSU. OCZ 600W. Asus support said to install Intel Chipset Driver first, Vid driver second, sound drivers last. Otherwise I would get these instabilities. I think they are full of it but will give it a try.
January 11, 2007 9:48:14 PM

I HAVE the same problem!!
1800xt club 3d
mb msi neo-4f nforce4
monitor sony trinitron crt e230

Now i use a tft monitor and works fine i install last naforce drivers and i made
bios update but nothing happens.

Ati must solve this problem i do not want to buy a new monitor
I will install all the drivers with priority 1)mb 2)vga 3)sound
Also i downlad the ati drivers for nforce
i will post u

sorry for my english
January 12, 2007 9:29:49 AM

Just sent the card back, getting an Nvidia.
January 12, 2007 10:12:18 AM

i have this card for 1 year and i don't have the box also the vga card hasn't problem because works with other monitors! The technical will chek it and he will tell me that works fine
January 12, 2007 10:52:05 PM

Well I tried a clean install using the driver install order they told me to use. No luck, it still locks up when launching games.

I am positive I got a defective unit and will be RMAing the card back to Asus. It might be my last card I buy from Asus. They informed that I cannot pay addition cash to get out of this model and into another if my replacement also doesn't work. Lame!

Going to get my hands on a nVidia based card to do some more testing until my Asus x1950Pro replacement comes in. I will repost when I complete my testing on the nvidia card and again when my x1950Pro comes back. I still think its a bad batch of components that went into these cards since there are quite a few review that didn't have any problems.
January 13, 2007 4:52:43 PM

Dear all,

For those of you who interested: ATI Catalyst 7.1 was released some days ago. For me, it did not bring any solution to the black screen issue. I am totally disappointed now. I will throw out the ATI card and replace it by Nvidia - it is unbelievable that ATI is not able to solve the problem for months now.
January 15, 2007 4:32:52 AM

So I am sure the problem with the ATi cards going into a black screen is the digital VRM are faulty or not up to the task. I plugged in a GF7600GT for the last 36hours and it works great. One of the major differences with the ATi vs Nvidia boards is that Nvidia still uses capacitors to regulate GPU and Mem voltage. The new ATi cards use the new digital VRM to do so.

Still waiting for my RMA to process, when I get my replacement for the x1950Pro I will repost if the new card works or still gives me the black screen.
January 21, 2007 12:29:56 PM

I found a way to solve this problem!
1)U need 2 monitors, the monitor witch douse not work and a monitor that works fine

2)Connect the monitor witch works as a primary monitor and the other whitch doesn't work as secondary

3)Open the vga options and make the secondary monitor as master, then disable primary

4)Now your monitor works with the second dvi without problem
January 23, 2007 9:04:06 AM

i ahve the best solution to this problem, boot into safe mode, it will work, uninstall all the drivers for it, including the catalyst control center, reboot, then install the drivers only, no catalyst control center nothing else, just the drivers, it will work fine. i had the problem with 3 different cards, a x1650pro, a x1950pro and a x1950xtx
February 23, 2007 8:20:35 PM

just a little follow up to those of you still having problems. I installed vista the other day on my setup and had absolutely no problems, downloaded the most recent vista 32 bit version of Catalyst for it and it works great. i can max out all my games with ease.
setup:
intel c2d e6300
2gb corsair ddr800
74gb wd raptor 10krpm hdd
sapphire x1900gt graphics card
intel dp965lt mobo
December 5, 2007 7:54:22 PM

I think i go the same problem as the one ho started this,
my computer works perfekt in all way, but when i try to start world of warcraft, (only game in fullscreen i got atm)...
it allt just go to a black screen, (i dont even get tho see the login screen) i you mb P2WD2-E and grafic card: radeon x1900 series, someone got a sulution to this??! plz plz plz help!
!