Help needed in buying a AGP card.

Yukiakari

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Hey all, i'm looking for the best card for my CPU so i hope you guys would help me out.. :lol: so anyway i have a AGP 4X (1.5V) slot , around 1GB worth of ram and P4 2.4ghz.
I've seen post that says the BFG 7800gs is the best for AGP and stuff , so i just want to reconfirm if there's anything that i missed out (better cards) or if the BFG 7800gs would work for my CPU and stuffs like that.

Help would be much appreciated :p

oh and tell me if i missed any infos out.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Hey all, i'm looking for the best card for my CPU so i hope you guys would help me out.. :lol: so anyway i have a AGP 4X (1.5V) slot , around 1GB worth of ram and P4 2.4ghz.
I've seen post that says the BFG 7800gs is the best for AGP and stuff , so i just want to reconfirm if there's anything that i missed out (better cards) or if the BFG 7800gs would work for my CPU and stuffs like that.

Help would be much appreciated :p

oh and tell me if i missed any infos out.

7800 GS is better than a 7600 GT if u dont know how to overclock.

X1950 Pro is the best AGP card in the world, but if u have an AGP x4 slot, then u will lose some of the performance.. but not a lot.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
STOP!!! :p

If your P4 2.4 is LGA775 (I forget if they made a 2.4 for LGA775 or if they are all s478), then you will probably save money by buying a PCI-E 7900GT *and* a PCI-E/LGA775 mobo.

For example, the 7900GT equivalent 7800GS, the Gainward 7800GS+, retails for around £248 here in the UK right now.

I can get 7900GT PCI-Es for £150.

I can get an ASrock775-Dual-Vista for £60.

Hell I can get a P4 3.2GHz LGA775 for £40.

In this way, the Gfx card, mobo, *and* CPU can be replaced for the same money as the AGP card, giving more upgradability for the future, and allowing you to use what I assume is DDR1 RAM still. You have an upgrade path to Conroe and your Gfx card will be usefull in your next Rig.

There is no reason at all to buy a high end AGP card anymore.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
buggery abouts.... ok if you just want a simple answer, no the 7800GS is not worth it. the 7600GT is by far one of the best AGP cards out there. secondly, if there is going to be a x1950pro AGP its not out yet. if it does, it would be an awesome AGP card, and likely the most powerfull, the gainward (24 pixel pipeline one) 7800GS, is likely the most powerfull at the moment, its basicly a 7900GT for AGP, but i leave it to you to figure if its worth it or not (personally i dont). also worth noting is that the x1950 pro looks right on par with the 7900GT.

if you wanted to get yourself on a nice upgrade path, and your current proccesser is socket 775, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a new motherboard, that supports PCIe (and core duo 2) get a new motherboard (possibly ram) and video card now, next paycheck or so get a core duo 2. which with a video card like a 7600GT or x1950pro wouldnt be a bad deal for your money. i say this only because AGP is like a horse with a broken leg about now. ya you can still use him, but not for much, and hes liable to just go completely lame without warning.

and look at this as well, http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Short-List-Gaming-Video-money-ftopict169937.html

i would also like to note that on the mid to higher end, (7900GT/x1950pro vs the gainward 7800GS) you will be paying much more for an AGP card, then a PCIe card of comperable power, and its not unlikely that a new motherboard wouldnt break the bank compared to paying more for an AGP card.

mjam

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Getting the highest performance video card is all well and fine, but your processor is going to limit the overall system. There is a point you'll hit where more video card is only for bragging rights, and you won't see any better performance than something cheaper. I'm not exactly sure where that break point is, but with your system I am sure it is lower than where the best AGP cards are at.

I like the idea of converting to PCIe if you happen to be runng a skt 775, it will allow you to upgrade more incrementally.

I can't see holding out for the DX10 stuff, unless you're waiting for a possible price drop on the cards you are looking at. I'm not even certain there will be much in the way of DX10 AGP cards. Unless you are certain you are going to need a DX10 offering, I'd let the market do it's thing and stay a step back until all the dust settles and the price comes down. Remember, DX10 will also require Vista.

edmetalhead

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
If you do end up purchasing the 7800GS ensure that your power supply can handle it. From the specifications (for the BFG version):

"A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)"

I also recommend the AGP version of the 7600gt instead...if you can actually find one! Both the Leadtek and XFX versions of this card are once again listed on newegg after they had removed them altogether. They don't have any in stock though.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
SMARTEST THINGS RIGHT NOW IS TO WAIT FOR DX10.

ignore this person, if your looking for an AGP card, i dont find it likely that you should depend on cards that dont exist yet. and likely wont. (something about AGP being phased out........)

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

ignore this person, if your looking for an AGP card, i dont find it likely that you should depend on cards that dont exist yet. and likely wont. (something about AGP being phased out........)

Ignore this person, hes an idiot.

Wait for DX10 and buy a whole new PC, or buy the X1950 Pro now and buy a new PC in a year.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003

Wait for DX10 and buy a whole new PC, or buy the X1950 Pro now and buy a new PC in a year.

Lets' be honest with people. Waiting for DX10 means upgrading to VISTA. If your system is a couple of years old, then you might not have the resources that VISTA will require for acceptable performance.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006

Lets' be honest with people. Waiting for DX10 means upgrading to VISTA. If your system is a couple of years old, then you might not have the resources that VISTA will require for acceptable performance.

Word.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
7800 GS is better than a 7600 GT if u dont know how to overclock..

Don't you mean:

7800 GS is THE SAME AS a 7600 GT if u dont know how to overclock.

If you overclock, ther 7800 GS is probably better...

Sorry. I mean the 7600 GT is better than the 7800 GS if you cant use the 7800 GS's potential.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

That is the dumbest post ive ever seen..
Waiting for DX10 means waiting for NEW HARDWARE, so how can u say that "waiting for NEW hardware means waiting for Vista, but Vista wont run on OLD hardware"? ITS THE HARDWARE THAT UR WAITING FOR! I dont even know how to respond to that post..

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Waiting for DX10 means waiting for NEW HARDWARE, so how can u say that "waiting for NEW hardware means waiting for Vista, but Vista wont run on OLD hardware"? ITS THE HARDWARE THAT UR WAITING FOR! I dont even know how to respond to that post..

Cool!

You mean these new AGP Gfx cards upgrade your CPU and give you more RAM too? I didnt know that, sweet!!!

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006

WTF are you smoking? he said..."
Waiting for DX10 means upgrading to VISTA.

You need Vista for DX10. Waiting for DX10 does mean waiting for new hardware, as well as Vista, so he CAN say that. Read, and let the info sink into your thick skull before you make an @ss out of yourself.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003

Yep, kaotao......some people are not worth saving.

Track, you really are a walking medical miracle. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DX10 will only be available with Vista. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
XP will not get a DX10 patch. :cry: :cry: :cry:

That means wonderlick, if you have a DX10 compatible card running on XP, you cannot enable any DX10 features that a software program might contain because XP cannot perform DX10 instructions. DUH! :oops:

It's all about the relationship between hardware, operating systems and software.

Years ago Microsoft claimed that Windows would run on a 286 system. (heh heh) more like walked........A user can most likely load Vista onto an old pentium class computer, but don't count on it "running."

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

not everyone wants to do a complete upgrade, my understanding of this thread was that the author wanted to know what was a good AGP card for his money. when the 8800 series comes out, they will be in the $300-$400 range. that on top of a whole new build is not what i think the author was meaning to convey as his intended budget with wanting to know what was a good AGP card. if he wanted to do a new system build it wouldnt even be in this part of this of the forum. not to even start on when games will actually start using DX10......

Yukiakari

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks guys for the inputs , unfortunately/fortunately i've decided to get a new CPU instead =P seems to be more worthwhile in the long run.Again thanks for the inputs.

1 last question though , assuming both are using the same gfx card , would a C2D 6400 have a significant performance against a P3.2ghz? or would i be better off saving the money and getting a P3.2ghz instead?

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Thanks guys for the inputs , unfortunately/fortunately i've decided to get a new CPU instead =P seems to be more worthwhile in the long run.Again thanks for the inputs.

1 last question though , assuming both are using the same gfx card , would a C2D 6400 have a significant performance against a P3.2ghz? or would i be better off saving the money and getting a P3.2ghz instead?

The Conroe series offers a significant improvement over the old Intel P4s. It would benefit you to upgrade your entire system, rather than just doing a cpu/mobo/video swap. (Do a modest video upgrade now and keep your current system around for legacy games) There are many Conroe equipped systems under $700. Please keep in mind that next year the new PCIe 2.0 mobos should appear. If you really want to get a PCIe system now, go ahead, but in a year you will have to upgrade the mobo in your system to take advantage of PCIe 2.0.

Yukiakari

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Ahh , I see.. hmm if that's the case i might as well wait for the PCIe 2.0 mobos :lol: one last question :p would a 6600/7600GT work with my current machine? hehe i'm all confused over the 8x/4x AGP thingy.. :lol: Thanks again!

edmetalhead

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Both the 6600GT and the 7600GT should work. AGP 8x cards are compatible with a 4X AGP slot. Be careful that you buy the AGP versions of the card though since PCI-e versions exist for both cards. I recommend the 7600gt if you can get one in stock.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

The Conroe series offers a significant improvement over the old Intel P4s. It would benefit you to upgrade your entire system, rather than just doing a cpu/mobo/video swap. (Do a modest video upgrade now and keep your current system around for legacy games) There are many Conroe equipped systems under $700. Please keep in mind that next year the new PCIe 2.0 mobos should appear. If you really want to get a PCIe system now, go ahead, but in a year you will have to upgrade the mobo in your system to take advantage of PCIe 2.0.

not trying to disagree, but i was under the assumption that the PCIe 2.0 thing will be much like AGP 1x,2x,4x,8x, in that the slot doesnt physically change and backwards compatibility is a requirement. that and hardware manufactures generally regard cutting out half their user base as a bad idea.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

not trying to disagree, but i was under the assumption that the PCIe 2.0 thing will be much like AGP 1x,2x,4x,8x, in that the slot doesnt physically change and backwards compatibility is a requirement. that and hardware manufactures generally regard cutting out half their user base as a bad idea.

i just checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_2.0
so all PCIe 2.0 will be is more bandwidth. and its not like thats a problem with current generation video cards. even cards like the GX2 dont have real problems with working in 8x SLI. not saying waiting for it is a bad idea (especially if your looking at a DX10 card) just clarifying.