Your question

3700+ san diego vs x2 / opt dual core

Last response: in Overclocking
October 29, 2006 7:09:13 AM

i have a 3700 single core too and thinking about upgrading to x2
was your swap worth the bucks or not
what do you think about x2 or opt
i have oc 3700 to 2.7ghjz steady with ocz pc4000 ram and its fast
do you think its worth the money to go x2 or opteron?
thank you
privi881
October 29, 2006 7:28:13 AM

It really depends on what you are gonna do with it. But you may want to consider picking one up if you have socket 939 because those are gonna get harder and harder to find (even if you don't have a use for dual core).
October 29, 2006 8:12:37 AM

I would deffinately go dual core as future games will use both cores and an opteron dual core is a great processor.If you can find a 4800+ go for it.It will overclock to the same as your 3700,but now multi threaded apps will take less time and you will still be able to surf the net and burn music,all with hardly any slow down.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
Related resources
October 31, 2006 1:38:05 AM

I too had a 3700+ San Diego, and I swapped it for a X2 4600+ as soon as its price dropped a couple of months ago. The first thing I noticed was how much more responsive the system was... Also, being able to do several things at the same time (like video/audio encoding, listening to music and surfing the web) with little/no effect on system responsiveness is actually quite cool. Even if today's games don't benefit from a dual core cpu, future games will... I'd definitely advise you to go dual core now, since s939 products won't be around for too long.
October 31, 2006 1:44:11 AM

Quote:
It depends on what you do.

If you only game, then it's not really worth it now.

If you do some heavy jobs, then the dual core will help you out more

i agree with prozac. i just (a week ago) went from a 3700
to an x2 4400 and have not seen any difference.
i dont multitask or do video encoding or anything like that.
oc and game mostly :D 

the 3700 is probably the best singlecore cpu price/performance.
on the market today.

but i would go for x2 for s939.
they are going up in price.
and soon to be exticnt.

but a worthwhile upgrade if you have a s939 already :D 
October 31, 2006 1:58:56 AM

Like some of the other posters said, if all you do is game, then the single core cpu is fine. If you multitask, like encode a movie and game at the same time, or any other cpu intensive tasks, the difference would be very noticable. Any computer I build in the future will not be single core. The price difference between single and dual is not large enough to justify passing dual core cpus up. As far as upgrading, if you only game and do not do any other cpu intensive tasks, well the single core should be more than adequate.

wes
November 23, 2006 2:04:27 PM

i shake my head when people with San diegos think of upgrading... you truly don't need a faster cpu, nor do you need a dual core right now

it is all about gpu gpu gpu...

If you only have 1gb of ram, then perhaps another gb would yeild a greater increase in performance than ditching the 1mbL2 Sandy.

Do it if you truly think that what you are trying to use your system for is above the capabilities of the processor... and I doubt that is the case, then yes upgrade... to at least 4400 as it has the same clock speed...

Just enjoy your underclocked FX-57

I love mine to death.
!