Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need telephone access in my wireless shop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 25, 2005 7:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have a shop about 400' from the house, hooked together with 2 WRT54G
routers, the one in shop is a bridge, both are using DD-WRT firmware.
I'm running Win XP on both.
I need a telephone in the shop and was wondering if there is any way
to do this over the wifi connection and then back to my landline at
the house? I would plug a telephone into dialup modem card at the
shop and plug landline into dialup modem card in the house and then be
able to make and receive telephone calls in the shop. Does anyone
know if this is possible? Thanks for any info.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 25, 2005 9:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

JW <> wrote:
>I have a shop about 400' from the house, hooked together with 2 WRT54G

>I need a telephone in the shop and was wondering if there is any way
>to do this over the wifi connection and then back to my landline at
>the house?

You need some VOIP boxes that'll take POTS and put it on your LAN and
then take it off you LAN and turn it back into POTS. I'm having a
brain freeze on the vendor I've seen, but it'll come to me...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 25, 2005 10:35:24 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:44:04 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

>JW <> wrote:
>>I have a shop about 400' from the house, hooked together with 2 WRT54G
>
>>I need a telephone in the shop and was wondering if there is any way
>>to do this over the wifi connection and then back to my landline at
>>the house?

>You need some VOIP boxes that'll take POTS and put it on your LAN and
>then take it off you LAN and turn it back into POTS. I'm having a
>brain freeze on the vendor I've seen, but it'll come to me...

POTS to VoIP adapter.
http://www.grandstream.com/y-htseries.htm
Lots of vendors on eBay for $40 to $60 each.

However, if there's a common AC power line going between the garage
and the house, a poweline phone contraption might be cheaper and
better.
http://www.phonex.com/prd_wj.htm
The CATV and satellite vendors use these and one can often find them
for next to nothing.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Related resources
September 26, 2005 8:41:48 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:35:24 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:44:04 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>
>>JW <> wrote:
>>>I have a shop about 400' from the house, hooked together with 2 WRT54G
>>
>>>I need a telephone in the shop and was wondering if there is any way
>>>to do this over the wifi connection and then back to my landline at
>>>the house?
>
>>You need some VOIP boxes that'll take POTS and put it on your LAN and
>>then take it off you LAN and turn it back into POTS. I'm having a
>>brain freeze on the vendor I've seen, but it'll come to me...
>
>POTS to VoIP adapter.
> http://www.grandstream.com/y-htseries.htm
>Lots of vendors on eBay for $40 to $60 each.
>
>However, if there's a common AC power line going between the garage
>and the house, a poweline phone contraption might be cheaper and
>better.
> http://www.phonex.com/prd_wj.htm
>The CATV and satellite vendors use these and one can often find them
>for next to nothing.


I tried this 2 or 3 years ago, every time it rained I lost my
telephone, then would have to reset at the house and reset in the
shop. Then eventually the telephone setup quit working in the shop.
I think it still works in a shed about 100 ft. from the house. Very
fussy as to what equipment could be plugged in close to it's outlet,
but putting it on it's own circuit didn't solve anything either.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 26, 2005 7:30:44 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>You need some VOIP boxes that'll take POTS and put it on your LAN and
>then take it off you LAN and turn it back into POTS. I'm having a
>brain freeze on the vendor I've seen, but it'll come to me...

http://multitech.com/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 27, 2005 1:35:01 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:41:48 -0500, JW <> wrote:

>>However, if there's a common AC power line going between the garage
>>and the house, a poweline phone contraption might be cheaper and
>>better.
>> http://www.phonex.com/prd_wj.htm
>>The CATV and satellite vendors use these and one can often find them
>>for next to nothing.

>I tried this 2 or 3 years ago, every time it rained I lost my
>telephone, then would have to reset at the house and reset in the
>shop. Then eventually the telephone setup quit working in the shop.
>I think it still works in a shed about 100 ft. from the house. Very
>fussy as to what equipment could be plugged in close to it's outlet,
>but putting it on it's own circuit didn't solve anything either.

I don't have a huge amount of experience running Phonex adapters over
long power lines. The FAQ claims 100ft:
http://www.phonex.com/faq.htm
I have one pair setup with about 100ft of AC power line. No problems.
I even use it with a dialup modem but only get about 14Kbit/sec.

Another possibility is to use a 900MHz (not 2.4GHz) cordless phone and
a pair of external antennas. There are high power phones that have
tremendous range:
http://www.engeniustech.com/telecom/industrialcordless....
that might work. However, methinks just attaching a pair of
directional 900MHz antennas to each end of a common 900MHz cordless
phone link will be good enough.


--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 27, 2005 1:50:15 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:35:01 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>long power lines. The FAQ claims 100ft:
> http://www.phonex.com/faq.htm

Groan. That should be 1000ft.
(Yacking on the phone while typing).


--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
!