How to format a new ssd

gonarip

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hi. I just installed a second ssd drive but my system does not recognize it. I am new at this and i need to know what to do to set it up. I have window 7 and an asus p8p67 deluxe motherboard. I already have 2 other drives. :eek:

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,
First of all, check in the BIOS to see if the new SSD is recognized along with the other ATA drives.

Pretty sure this ASUS MB has the new UEFI system, so it may be initially confusing to make sure they are recognized by the UEFI and in what order.
Also could you please list which SATA ports on the MB each of the HDD's are attached to.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Does it show in device manager? (devmgmt.msc) Does it show in 'Computer'? Maybe you just need to create a partition. If you launch disk management (diskmgmt.msc) you should get a prompt to initialize a disk, do so, then create a partition on it.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Every time you plug in a new internal drive, you need to partition and format it before it's visible in Explorer.

Disk Management is the tool. There are several ways to start it, but the one mentioned by LiveBriand is faster than most :) Just bring up Run and run diskmgmt.msc.

In Disk Management you will see every hard drive and every optical drive in your PC. The new drive should be there too. If it's not, then you have other problems, and need to go looking in Device Manager, etc.

Click on the new drive and create a new partition. A Basic partition is fine, and normally you'll want to put all the space into a single partition. Then format the partition, but make sure you choose QUICK Format (slow format will waste time writing to the drive). Once the format completes the partition will have a drive letter, and should appear in Explorer.

TRENDING THREADS