Your question

ATI Radeon X600SE

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 29, 2006 12:01:53 PM

Please help me I'm a noob. My friend wants me to play CS source so I just bought an Acer Aspire E360 for 650$. Here are the specs

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_Aspire_E360/ASE360-U...

It runs an ATI Radeon X600SE.

Is this sufficient for cs source or should I upgrade it? Also what's the difference between X600SE, Pro, and XT? They don't have a benchmark for SE. What fps should I expect if I don't upgrade?

More about : ati radeon x600se

October 29, 2006 12:33:55 PM

Quote:
Please help me I'm a noob. My friend wants me to play CS source so I just bought an Acer Aspire E360 for 650$. Here are the specs

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_Aspire_E360/ASE360-U...

It runs an ATI Radeon X600SE.

Is this sufficient for cs source or should I upgrade it? Also what's the difference between X600SE, Pro, and XT? They don't have a benchmark for SE. What fps should I expect if I don't upgrade?

I´d try it if i were you. Just install CS source and see if it appeals to you. I´m quite sure you want to upgrade (Hypermemory is a bad thing), but you really should see for yourself.
October 29, 2006 1:29:50 PM

SE means sucky edition stay away from anything that says SE or LE. I must say that is a interesting choice in computers with that power supply your almost limited to whats in that computer. Im almost surprised it actualy works. Your video card is onboard and has no video memory it uses your system memory it comes with 1024 megs if you set your video to use 256 youll have 768 megs. Dont expect much from that card. I would say put some money into a new video card and use the pci e slot but i doubt the PSU would survive.
Related resources
October 29, 2006 4:25:02 PM

Ok so my power supply sucks...? If I buy a Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V would that be compatible with this computer? Would I need any fans or whatever?

Also what would be the best video card I could get for under 100$?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions I am really noob with computers.
October 29, 2006 6:26:51 PM

Stay as far away from thermal take as you can look up enermax 500watt true power if it fits in your case its compatable. Only problem is since you got a OEM computer it would void your warrenty.
October 31, 2006 12:44:43 AM

why not thermaltake? I only have around 100-150$ to spare. It got good feedback... :roll:
October 31, 2006 1:10:56 AM

The thermal take should be fine, it's good quality but the price is mid range
October 31, 2006 1:30:12 AM

Also stay away from words like Turbo, Supercharge, and Ultimate. and R-GSXR-RRR.
An Ultimate TnT-Force 410 GSXR-R Turbo Cache with 1,024 megs of shared Memory! Comes with VESA standard Localbus to PCI-E adapter!
October 31, 2006 2:00:28 AM

Quote:
why not thermaltake? I only have around 100-150$ to spare. It got good feedback... :roll:

TT makes good heatsinks i suppose but thier power supplys arent that good.

If it was my $150 i would buy a quality psu something that says high standards :o 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?prod...

Its not a moduler PSU but thats about as rock solid as you can get for a psu. i have the 660watt version of this psu it has quad rails with a nice ampage per rail.

BTW

Quote:
Also stay away from words like Turbo, Supercharge, and Ultimate. and R-GSXR-RRR.
An Ultimate TnT-Force 410 GSXR-R Turbo Cache with 1,024 megs of shared Memory! Comes with VESA standard Localbus to PCI-E adapter!

Words to live by.
October 31, 2006 2:22:23 AM

Quote:
Ok so my power supply sucks...? If I buy a Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V would that be compatible with this computer? Would I need any fans or whatever?

Also what would be the best video card I could get for under 100$?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions I am really noob with computers.

I have that PSU in my old pc, its pretty good since it only cost me $AU57, but its not the best PSU around. The rails arent totally accurate, the 12V being 12.1V usually according to ABIT uguru, the 3.3V is pretty spot on tho.
October 31, 2006 3:34:04 AM

Well I had a Dell computer with an X600SE and 1 gig of ram, it had a Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott and it ran CSS quite fine. I beat the whole damn HL2 campain on that thing, and as long as you aren't looking for super ultra everything (actually I ran mine at 1024 with most things on high, but no AA or AF) getting 70 to 90 FPS on the stress test, so you should be fine with it as long as you don't have a huge ass monitor or something.
November 19, 2006 1:53:25 AM

Is that $150 just for the PSU, or for the video card too? I strongly recommend this 7600GT based on the reviews. It will be more than enough for CS:S and it supports SM3.0 for the newer games. Then you could add on this PSU and come in right around where you were hoping to (after the MIR). You get a strong video card from the best manufacturer and a solid, quiet PSU with all the power you need. Plus you save on shipping, since both are from the same store. :D 

If you're allergic to rebates, life's hard. Check eBay or a friend who always has the latest gear. Maybe he has some old stuff in your closet you can have. I've heard lots of stories of people getting whole computers that way :lol: 
November 19, 2006 2:58:44 AM

The Mobility version of this is purring in my laptop, it runs pretty smooth (on Halo PC anyway). This card is essentially a PCIe version of the 9600, so you could look for benchies of that card. But that card is from 2003, CS:S wasn't released until 2004, so you may be hard pressed to find benchies anyway. I like the 7600GT angminas suggested, guaranteed to be the X600.