Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
So whats the fastest stable Core 2 Duo? Most people are OC'ing the E6600, but whats the fastest x6800 that someone is actually running for more than 30 minutes a day?

ReliReli

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
All depends on your cooling setup. Any Core 2 you buy should be stable at stock; OC'ing results will vary.

With the X6800 I've seen people exceed 4GHz on air/water/peltier cooling and even approach near 6GHz with liquid nitrogen. Truly hardcore setups, but you can find a lot more practical use (especially for the price) in stock performance and overclocking with a 6300 or a 6600.

Not many people right now seem to appreciate their Core 2's at stock speeds. :lol:

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Not many people right now seem to appreciate their Core 2's at stock speeds.
Thats because you can a 80% OC easily. Its more of a sport for many I believe.

@theOP
Shamino and his VR-Zone buddies did a funny video on OCing a X6800, check it out youll get a laugh :)

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I've seen people run over 5ghz stable with liquid cooling/peltier set ups. 5.5 ghz is pretty crazy. I haven't seen much phase change stats for the x6800 although maybe 6ghz is stable at -50 C?

I wouldn't considerLiquid N as stable since you can't get a steady supply of it.

I'm curious about the OC'ing potential compared to the Core 2 Quad (yes, I know its not out). I remember reading that OCing it was just as easy if not easier than the C2D and higher clock speeds were attainable, although you have to get rid of more heat than the C2Ds.

I'd like to see an OCing showdown between the C2D and the C2Q with Price vs Performance as the main topic. I guess thats wishful thinking till Dec/Jan.

ReliReli, I think you're right about that the OCing that people are doing. rawritsdario is right in that no one wants say 2.4 ghz when u can have 3.33 ghz and stable. Why would you? More speed for no extra money is always a good deal.

TRENDING THREADS