Powering 6800 GT

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Ok here's my problem, I have a Leadtek 6800 GT doing nothing so might as well use it in my wife's computer. Thing is, we I removed the card from my own computer a while back and didn't pay too much attention on how it was wired since I didn't assemble my machine this time.

Here's the connector

]Card connector[/url]

The card has a 6 pins connector splitting into 2 x 3 pins connector, does this mean the card should be powered by 2 different sources in order to work properly ?

Anyways, I tried plugging one of the 3 pine connector then I tried 2 but I always get an alert message from the card software telling me that the performence of the card has been diminshed in order to prodect my hardware because the card is under powered.

I don't have the specifics of the PS in wife's computer right now but it's a 600 W. Would this indicate the there is not enough amps to power up this card ?

Her setup is pretty basic : 6400 - 2 x 1Gig Ram - HHD 320 Gig - DVD and mobo is Asus P5B.

Devilish

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
some power suplyes come with the specification of how much they consume wich could be 700wt
but then it isnt what it suplies
when they say real 500wt they say it beacuse its what it suplies
most of these who ask 600wt to be suplied usualy generate about
250/350wt
for a compuetr with top end video card i would recomend at least 500 real wt
wich might be trouble if your pc use many pci cards, ide interfaces or anything else to suck extra power
then you would considerate 600wt at least
hope this helps

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
I have a 6800 GT OC from BFG and I power it off of a Ultra 400 Watt psu along with a gig of ram, 1 hard drive, a cd drive, a MSI 645 ultra, and a celeron 1700 @ 2400. Everything works fine even when i am stressing the card and the CPU.

just to make sure it was clear you just plug both hard drive plugs(now on referred to as molex connector) into the adapter. Now you should try to make sure each molex is of a different line if you can. so if there are 3 on one wire try to get one from there and one from somewhere else....

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I have a GF6800GT and my PSU suuplies 18A on the +12v rail so look on your wife's PSU to find out how much it puts out on the particular rail, but like everyone else above, it doesn't matter how much wattage the PSU puts out , amps is where it counts.