iPaq 3970 and Nokia 6230 as bluetooth modem

February 11, 2005 5:12:46 PM

Hi,
I'm using Nokia 6230 mobile phone as bluetooth GPRS modem with an iPaq 3970
but it always disconnects after a few minutes.
iPaq 3970 has Windows CE 3.0. At first, do I need to upgrade to Windows
Mobile 2003?

Thanks for any help
Mimmus
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:03:46 PM

"Mimmus" <viggiani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm using Nokia 6230 mobile phone as bluetooth GPRS modem with an iPaq
> 3970 but it always disconnects after a few minutes.
> iPaq 3970 has Windows CE 3.0. At first, do I need to upgrade to Windows
> Mobile 2003?

I recommend you first upgrade your 6230 to the latest firmware. This model
is not the best Bluetooth implementation on the Nokia line.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
February 15, 2005 11:32:21 AM

> I recommend you first upgrade your 6230 to the latest firmware. This model
> is not the best Bluetooth implementation on the Nokia line.

Same suggestion from a collegue of mine.
I will try. Thank you.

Mimmus
April 5, 2005 10:55:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Mimmus" <viggiani@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>I recommend you first upgrade your 6230 to the latest firmware. This
>>model is not the best Bluetooth implementation on the Nokia line.
>
>Same suggestion from a collegue of mine.
>I will try. Thank you.

Did it work?

I am having the same trouble with a bluetooth - GPRS connection causing
a reset of the Nokia 6230 phone after between 30 and 120 seconds of use
with my iPAQ 4150 PDA. Other than the reset of the phone (screen goes
blank for a few seconds, then comes back on with the connection dropped)
the GPRS connection works fine (i.e. it transfers data whilst the
connection is up).
--
David Mahon
Anonymous

David Mahon wrote:
> "Mimmus" <viggiani@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I recommend you first upgrade your 6230 to the latest firmware. This
>>> model is not the best Bluetooth implementation on the Nokia line.
>>
>> Same suggestion from a collegue of mine.
>> I will try. Thank you.
>
> Did it work?
>
> I am having the same trouble with a bluetooth - GPRS connection
> causing a reset of the Nokia 6230 phone after between 30 and 120
> seconds of use with my iPAQ 4150 PDA. Other than the reset of the
> phone (screen goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back on with
> the connection dropped) the GPRS connection works fine (i.e. it
> transfers data whilst the connection is up).

I gave up trying to sync a Nokia 6230 via Bluetooth using PCSuite and went
back to a trusty cable.
The thought of attempting to do it with a PocketPC would fill me with dread!

--

Brett
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:57:43 +0100, "Brett..."
<blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote:

>David Mahon wrote:

>>> Same suggestion from a collegue of mine.
>>> I will try. Thank you.
>>
>> Did it work?
>>
>> I am having the same trouble with a bluetooth - GPRS connection
>> causing a reset of the Nokia 6230 phone after between 30 and 120
>> seconds of use with my iPAQ 4150 PDA. Other than the reset of the
>> phone (screen goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back on with
>> the connection dropped) the GPRS connection works fine (i.e. it
>> transfers data whilst the connection is up).
>
>I gave up trying to sync a Nokia 6230 via Bluetooth using PCSuite and went
>back to a trusty cable.
>The thought of attempting to do it with a PocketPC would fill me with dread!

absolutely no probs for me using my 6230 with my ipaq 2210. Full
internet works great over o2 mobileweb gprs.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:49:00 PM

"Brett..." <blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote:
>David Mahon wrote:

>>> Same suggestion from a collegue of mine.
>>> I will try. Thank you.
>>
>> Did it work?
>>
>> I am having the same trouble with a bluetooth - GPRS connection
>> causing a reset of the Nokia 6230 phone after between 30 and 120
>> seconds of use with my iPAQ 4150 PDA. Other than the reset of the
>> phone (screen goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back on with
>> the connection dropped) the GPRS connection works fine (i.e. it
>> transfers data whilst the connection is up).
>
>I gave up trying to sync a Nokia 6230 via Bluetooth using PCSuite and went

>back to a trusty cable.
>The thought of attempting to do it with a PocketPC would fill me with dread!

Bluetooth works fine. I can sync with my home computer from downstairs. The
only problem is that the phone crashes when bluetooth is used at the same
time as GPRS to make an internet connection for my PDA. The connection works
initially, it just crashes randomly (the phone screen goes blank then turns
back on automatically after a few seconds), usually after a minute or two
of internet use.

I've read similar reports elsewhere - it appears to work ok with bluetooth
and GSM, works ok with infrared and GPRS, it's just the bluetooth/GPRS combination
that causes problems.

Hopefully a software upgrade may fix it - I'll have to see.
--
David Mahon
Reply to nospam@amigo.co.uk

On 6 Apr 2005 11:49:00 GMT, "David Mahon" <news@amigo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Brett..." <blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote:
>>David Mahon wrote:

>>> Did it work?
>>>
>>> I am having the same trouble with a bluetooth - GPRS connection
>>> causing a reset of the Nokia 6230 phone after between 30 and 120
>>> seconds of use with my iPAQ 4150 PDA. Other than the reset of the
>>> phone (screen goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back on with
>>> the connection dropped) the GPRS connection works fine (i.e. it
>>> transfers data whilst the connection is up).
>>
>>I gave up trying to sync a Nokia 6230 via Bluetooth using PCSuite and went
>
>>back to a trusty cable.
>>The thought of attempting to do it with a PocketPC would fill me with dread!
>
>Bluetooth works fine. I can sync with my home computer from downstairs. The
>only problem is that the phone crashes when bluetooth is used at the same
>time as GPRS to make an internet connection for my PDA. The connection works
>initially, it just crashes randomly (the phone screen goes blank then turns
>back on automatically after a few seconds), usually after a minute or two
>of internet use.
>
>I've read similar reports elsewhere - it appears to work ok with bluetooth
>and GSM, works ok with infrared and GPRS, it's just the bluetooth/GPRS combination
>that causes problems.
>
>Hopefully a software upgrade may fix it - I'll have to see.

v5.24 firmware fixes this problem. I had my 6230 upgraded yesterday
and I can now make a Bluetooth connection from my iPAQ 4700 and set up
a GPRS connection via the phone.

Chris
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:24:41 PM

Chris Blunt wrote:
>> I've read similar reports elsewhere - it appears to work ok with
>> bluetooth
>> and GSM, works ok with infrared and GPRS, it's just the
>> bluetooth/GPRS combination that causes problems.
>>
>> Hopefully a software upgrade may fix it - I'll have to see.
>
> v5.24 firmware fixes this problem. I had my 6230 upgraded yesterday
> and I can now make a Bluetooth connection from my iPAQ 4700 and set up
> a GPRS connection via the phone.
>
> Chris

Do you have to go to a dealer to get a firmware upgrade?
ps mine is with Orange. My version is 4.44

cheers

--

Brett
Anonymous

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:24:41 +0100, "Brett..."
<blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote:

>Chris Blunt wrote:
>>> I've read similar reports elsewhere - it appears to work ok with
>>> bluetooth
>>> and GSM, works ok with infrared and GPRS, it's just the
>>> bluetooth/GPRS combination that causes problems.
>>>
>>> Hopefully a software upgrade may fix it - I'll have to see.
>>
>> v5.24 firmware fixes this problem. I had my 6230 upgraded yesterday
>> and I can now make a Bluetooth connection from my iPAQ 4700 and set up
>> a GPRS connection via the phone.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Do you have to go to a dealer to get a firmware upgrade?
>ps mine is with Orange. My version is 4.44

Yes, but it only took a few minutes, and its free if the phone is
under warranty.

Chris
!