Bad RAM? Need assistance please

NSH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
I built this system roughly 2 weeks ago and it has ran flawlessly until now.

The PC was up and running last night prior to going to bed. Checked on it this morning and it was stuck in a reboot loop with the BIOS trying to Auto-Recover.

I pulled/reseated various components, reset BIOS via pulling battery, shorted out via jumper. Nothing would allow it to move past the reboot loop.

Pulled the 2nd DIMM and and it booted. Placed the 2nd DIMM in slot one and I get no video. Replaced it with DIMM 1 and the PC boots fine. Attempting to use both DIMMs and it goes into the BIOS recovery loop again.

I am assuming this stick of RAM is bad. Other than a hardware memory tester does anyone have a good way to determine?

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I think you just determined it. You can also run something like memtest but I've had sticks which passed memtest OK but were bad so it's not a lot of use IMO.

NSH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks McGruff. I bought these from Newegg and I know their Customer service is supposed to be top notch, I just have never had to RMA anything.

The problem is that I had to cut part of the packaging that contained the UPC to send for a mail in rebate. I also assume Newegg will want both sticks returned so they can send a matching pair?

Anyone know what the average turn aroudn time is for Newegg to ship out the product after it's RMA'd to them?

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The problem is that I had to cut part of the packaging that contained the UPC to send for a mail in rebate. I also assume Newegg will want both sticks returned so they can send a matching pair?
I'd expect so. You could maybe try asking them if it's OK to return one now and the other later if it's your only machine. That lets you keep working.

Memtest isn't totally useless. It does detect errors. Trouble is, if you can get false positives a pass doesn't tell you much.

Mondoman

Splendid
The problem is that I had to cut part of the packaging that contained the UPC to send for a mail in rebate.
This may complicate things, so mention it to NewEgg. In some cases, it may mean you need to go through the manufacturer's RMA process.
I also assume Newegg will want both sticks returned so they can send a matching pair?
If they came together in one package, then yes. If not, then no.

NSH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
The problem is that I had to cut part of the packaging that contained the UPC to send for a mail in rebate.
This may complicate things, so mention it to NewEgg. In some cases, it may mean you need to go through the manufacturer's RMA process.

I was afraid that may be the case. I will be calling Newegg tomorrow during their business hours to disucss the situation.

I also assume Newegg will want both sticks returned so they can send a matching pair?
If they came together in one package, then yes. If not, then no.

They came in a single package. My friends were organizing a psuedo LAN party this weekend. Time to see if someone has a stick I can bum.

Thanks for the help. I truly appreciate it.

NSH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
Just in case anyone is interested.. I spoke to Newegg and informed them of the fact that the UPC label would be missing from the package.

The rep stated that for RAM they did not need the original packaging and that it would not be a problem.

He also stated that they would need both sticks, which I assumed would be the case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts