Second Take: Games of the Year 2007

Last response: in Site Feedback
December 20, 2007 3:15:03 AM

COD 4,
Bioshock,
Crysis,
God of War 2,
TF 2.

yes i put crysis 3rd purely coz i can play it in High settings and it looks awesum! - i really admire crytek for not giving a damn about the hardware and just making a game as good as it can be graphically and almost the same gameplay wise aswell. shows good courage and they should not be knocked for trying!!!
December 20, 2007 6:16:41 AM

Bioshock -Amazing single player experience, very satisfying for us System Shock 2 fans, even though it was a bit dumbed down.
Crysis -An amazing visual feat with a great adaptation of FarCry gameplay. Farcry was one of my favourite campaign shooters, and Crysis delivered.
Uncharted -A heartwarming kind of game, with amazing attention to detail and character animation. Definitely the top PS3 game.
Portal -I almost want to give this game top spot, the perfect length for this game type, humorous dialogue, and very unique gameplay.
COD4 -I haven't played Mass Effect or the Witcher yet, I have a feeling those games would top this one for me. I love the multiplayer, its loads of fun. But the single player was very disappointing. A recycled COD2 engine with seemingly endless enemy spawning killed it for me. But, the multiplayer is solid, and deserving.
Related resources
December 20, 2007 8:29:23 AM

Crysis comes first in my book, because they are the ONLY developer this year to actually advance technology at all. All the other losers used old slow crappy engines to satisfy the piss-poor performance of consoles. Crysis is the best game i have ever played.

I have not played mass effect but if i do i am wiling to bet it will come second, please please please let it come to pc.

Team fortress 2 is awesome in every way. Spy ftw. Also, valve now utilise dual core cpu's. Never played a smoother game. Their work with ATI shows what the R600 can do: Beat an 8800 ultra.

Call of duty 4 is not actually any good. And what the hell is up with the plagiarism? Stalker, Priyat. Graphics suck, the edges of humans don't actually glow in real life. And dogs are not made of plastic. This game is not on my list.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. -> not sure if it came out this year. If it did then it is number 4.

Portal was very cool but very short so it comes no 5.

MTV is for retards.
AMAZON is for rich retards.

Bioshock, I have not, and will not play : DRM. Plus it is ugly.

I know I sound like a graphics whore, but if valve and crytek can do it (crytek just did it a bit better) then so can the rest of you.

I still play dos games so even though i gave COD a penalty for BAD BAD BAD graphics crysis did not get a bonus (It got a small one). Crysis wins for it's technological superiority. I fell like throwing money at Chevat Yerli just for the engine, forget giving me the game, just for the engine's existence he deserves money, it could just lie there doing nothing and he would deserve to be paid.
December 20, 2007 3:24:44 PM

Only 3 here (dont play a lot of games, only play a few games a lot heh)

Bioshock - Loved every second, want to play it again soon.
CoD4
Vanguard - lots of haters, was released in an atrocious state, but has gotten tons better, and has aspects you can't find in any other MMO. Very fun.
December 20, 2007 4:46:48 PM

I usually find myself agreeing with Rob's analysis on games more often than not. His take of why PC gamers hate Halo hit me right on the mark. That's why I found it odd that he wasn't really into Crysis as much as I was. One of the major criticisms he had of it was that it was very similar to Farcry. To me, this was a good thing as Farcry was probably my favorite single player fps game (until playing CoD4). I remember Rob saying something similar in a previous video of how much he liked Farcry so I would have thought that this would make Crysis even more attractive. Its nice to have a game where you can actually wander around and go about completing missions your own way. In some games, I prefer a more direct approach but its nice to have a few games that aren't so linear.

Just one last thought about Halo. The one thing I wish PC games would borrow from Halo is to have some sort of coopertive mode. Think of how much fun Crysis would be playing if you and a friend could play Nomad and Psycho. Or play Soap and Price in CoD4.

Anyway, here's mine:

1. CoD4
2. Crysis
3. TF2 (Orange box as a whole, rocked)
December 20, 2007 8:37:54 PM

Alright so we here you guys are on TF2 all the time but what are your screen names??

BTW great video.. you guys have really done a great job maturing and developing your video skills over this year.
December 20, 2007 10:53:18 PM

No ads on this video yay!

I haven't played alot of new games this year, and still have COD4 and Stalker to start. So out of what I have played that is new:

1. Crysis
2. WIC/Bioshock (not sure)

MOH: Airborne should, in theory, come in 3rd. However, it just plain bored me, so it can come in somewhere else down the line.

@Rabidpeanut: MOH: Airborne also had the glowing edges on humans (and everything I think). I agree, it looks stupid.

The description of the video says "Ben and Rob unveil their top picks for 2007." So Ben, what's yours?

Rob you stuttered heaps, chill mate ;) 
December 21, 2007 4:30:24 PM

randomizer said:
Rob you stuttered heaps, chill mate ;) 

My Steam nicknam is P-P-P-Pl-Pl-Pl....argh....stuttering.....

Randomizer, in my defense, I was extremely ill the day we shot that vid and was so congested I could barely get words out of my mouth without spewing snot in all directions. Ben will back me up on this.

Quote:
Alright so we here you guys are on TF2 all the time but what are your screen names??

Well, Hammerin' Ben tells me that there are Russian hackers who do nothing but try to hack Steam accounts all day long, and as a result, we're very protective of our screen names here at THG and don't like to make them public over the forums. That said, if anyone is interested in playing, please PM me. That way, I can justify the hours upon hours of TF2 play as "audience building" or "community outreach" or something work related. And thanks for the kind words about the video, Ivdax. Ben and I appreciate it.

Quote:
I usually find myself agreeing with Rob's analysis on games more often than not. His take of why PC gamers hate Halo hit me right on the mark. That's why I found it odd that he wasn't really into Crysis as much as I was. One of the major criticisms he had of it was that it was very similar to Farcry. To me, this was a good thing as Farcry was probably my favorite single player fps game (until playing CoD4). I remember Rob saying something similar in a previous video of how much he liked Farcry so I would have thought that this would make Crysis even more attractive. Its nice to have a game where you can actually wander around and go about completing missions your own way. In some games, I prefer a more direct approach but its nice to have a few games that aren't so linear.

My view on Crysis is long and complicated. I keep going back and forth about whether or not it would make my top 10 for the year (it doesn't crack my top 5); I plan on running a second opinion of the game at some point after the holidays, after I've had time to truly digest everything. I know that seems harsh to some, but here's my view in a nutshell in regards to Far Cry: to me, Crysis was too much like Far Cry. I felt like Crytek took the Far Cry formula, added fantastic graphics and threw in an alien ship, and voila, you get Crysis. Hey, it's still fun for the most part. But I felt like I had done everything before, and as a result, it lacked excitement for me. I'll put it to you this way -- remember when Elton John took his Marilyn Munroe song "Candle in the Wind" and rewrote the lyrics and made a "new" song for Princess Di? Except it wasn't really new, and you were kind of left wondering what the point of it was? Well...that's kind of how I feel about Crysis.

December 21, 2007 6:35:09 PM

Oh man, you did not just compare Crysis to that awful Elton John song....

Anyhow, I really, really like Crysis. It just comes across as such a.... raw gaming experience. There are so many ways to approach every situation, at least in the first levels. And I pulled off a couple of new "favorite unscripted moments" when playing this game (The others happening in Deus Ex and Mafia).

Anyhow, I just got COD4, and I'm sure it will be great, but I'd have to go with Bioshock, Crysis, TF2 and The Witcher otherwise. To me, Bioshock was very intelligent in the way it handled one of the unique aspects of gaming as an "art form", which is how the play is neccessarily limited in that players must perform key tasks or accomplish certain goals to advance through a game's story. And it looked good (especiialy the water effects - holy crap) and it was fun to play and explore.

It has been a darned good year for PC gaming - There's still several title out there that I've yet to pick up.
December 21, 2007 11:57:09 PM

1. COD4
2. Mass Effect
3. BioShock
4. TF2
5. Uncharted

I loved COD4, I can't stop praising this game. I have played COD4 more than any game in recent years. I think the only games that I have played as much was HL2 and CSS. The online is great on every platform (PC,360,PS3). I bought it for the PS3, actually it's first game I bought for my PS3. The other worth mentioning was Uncharted, that is a great game as well. If you like Tomb Raider then you'll love Uncharted. Great story line and top notch graphics. It fuses the cinematic moments very well into the game, you actually enjoy watching them.

December 25, 2007 1:33:12 AM

robwright said:
Randomizer, in my defense, I was extremely ill the day we shot that vid and was so congested I could barely get words out of my mouth without spewing snot in all directions. Ben will back me up on this.

Sorry to hear that, all better for christmas? And Ben, I still haven't heard what your picks for top 5 are! Post!
December 25, 2007 5:27:42 PM

Cant believe he didnt choose crysis, and i usually agree with what they say.
my top pc games pick is :
1. Crysis and Cod4 (crysis has superior story but weaker multiplayer)
2. World in Conflict
3. Bioshock tied with Call of juarez

i rly dunno whats the hype about bio, its just a normal fps with the plasmind twist, i didnt give a dam about the girls much if they died or not, didnt get personal in the game, no cutscenes which is just lazy in my opinion, like fear, and very repetitive level design, i give it a 8.4 max, it doesnt deserve an 9.5 or 10, also how d F*** did cod4 get best gfx of 2007 by game spot? cmon crysis was wayyy better than cod4 gfx wise! :fou: 
December 26, 2007 8:26:56 AM

I admit i'm really not a multiplayer guy and FPS is pretty much my bread and butter but as cool
as COD 4 was, I was in no way impressed by another short COD essentially linear COD game. I like COD
but I don't see anything but a real downhill stride in the SP since it just keeps getting shorter which really
devalues the game, if I wanted a good multiplayer experience shooter id bust out quake 3 against which in my opinion COD doesen't hold a candle. As for Crysis I really wonder what the hell this backlash against it is, and why is the tech so important? I mean sure its the best looking game ever big whoop i like pretty things too, but far cry was the first game I ever got to actually approach problems In whatever way I chose, the freedom was amazing. Crysis brings this to an entirely new level, simply the fact that there is no single gameplay tactic which is required and no single path or even minimum number of secondary objectives really puts it on an entirely different level from any game ever made, I firmly believe if it didn't look so good people might actually take the time to consider that, also in what other game can you cut a tree down, then pick it up and kill someone with it? Bioshock was friggin awesome nuff said. I really gotta spend some more time with world in conflict but I like seeing that on the list and ratchet and clank is nice also, although only a F*&%TARD puts that over crysis, I would hope thats obvious. and Perseus mandate sucked, which was disappointing as hell. Also, where the hell is UT3 and why do so many people worship the ground valve walks on? Portal while kinda cool is monotonous and its gimmick is more than just a tab bit of a gigantic rip off of prey, its also short as hell and way too easy. Like everything else valve does there's nothing unique and not a whole lot of substance there.

1)Crysis
2)BIOSHOCK
3)UT3
4)COD 4
5)Something I haven't played yet

Also stop talking about Halo damnit, dual wield is not a gameplay enhancer,
Halo 2 sucked, 3 does nothing new, games need gameplay, not gimmicks.
December 26, 2007 9:51:27 PM

As much as you think think Crysis is better than x_game everything in this video was opininon and if Rob didn't particularly enjoy Crysis for whatever reason then it's obviously not going to rate as good as something else in his opinion. Obviously you enjoyed it alot. I thought it was good, but the story was weak and then ending broke the game apart completely.
December 27, 2007 4:07:50 AM

just because crysis has the best graphics doesn't mean it should be number one, game play is what should make it number one. I agree that it's just like far cry with a lil twist.
December 27, 2007 8:07:29 AM

So do Ben and Rob play any games besides shooters? The topic is top games of 2007. We have 60 some PC games on the shelves here and not one is a shooter game (gave the free Farcry copies that came with my video cards away). Obviously we're not shooter fans. I'm just curious to know whether any other games were taken into consideration or not.

My top list (didn't really have 5, sorry).
Madden '08
NFS Carbon (not sure if that's '06 or '07)
NFS Pro Street
V8 Supercars 3 (also possibly late '06)
And my son says NBA Live '08 has to make the list, although I don't really care for it. :-)
January 4, 2008 1:19:42 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that no one even mentioned Supreme Commander. Its currently the viewer's choice of the year on game spot. I believe its expansion pack got exansion of the year as well. Its unique style of gameplay and tactics is the bar by which all other RTS's are measured by.

If you want to see how intense the multiplayer aspect of the game is, you should check out the hosted tournaments over at QuadV. Any thoughts?
January 4, 2008 3:08:09 PM

So, why doesn't Ben share his top games or worst games? On both videos, it's pretty much just Rob listing 'em off. My top games:

1. Portal - As much as I loved the other games on this list, nothing was nearly as much fun as Portal. Yeah, it's short, but it's amazing.
2. Bioshock - The best story in a shooter, ever, period.
3. Call of Duty 4 - Fantastic single player, decent multiplayer. I was hoping the multiplayer would be more like Battlefield 2, but after I got over the fact that it wasn't, and I unlocked the m4, it got bearable.

I guess I only have a top 3. TF2 would make the list, but I haven't played it all that much yet. And based on the demo, Crysis should be there, but I haven't played the full version yet. I kind of agree on HL2:E2. At least at the end they set up something interesting for E3, but it wasn't that great overall. I went back and played the original Half-Life to see if it was only nostalgia that made me think it was the best in the series. It wasn't. It is still a better game than HL2 or either episode. It's more fun, more varied, and more challenging. I was amazed at just how much better the AI was back then. Now, with 10x faster processors, the AI is so much dumber, what gives?
January 4, 2008 3:53:32 PM

jimbobhickville said:
So, why doesn't Ben share his top games or worst games? On both videos, it's pretty much just Rob listing 'em off.

Hey Jimbo (if you don't mind me using the familiar),

Thanks for requesting my opinion. Usually I defer to Rob on game roundups mostly because I don't get to play as many games as Rob. In fact the main "game" of 2007 for me has been wrestling Final Cut Pro to try to make us look a bit better. Either that or I'm just giving Rob enough rope to hang himself with his opinions.

-Ben
January 4, 2008 9:05:35 PM

Sounds like a fun job, where do I sign up? :lol: 
!