Sign in with
Your question

Massive Media Storage Device

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2006 4:58:07 PM

I am interested in gutting an old VCR an using the case to house 6 HDD's.....set to Master....IDE....of various sizes......to create a Massive External IDE Media Storage Device.....

I was told from other forums.....that with 2 HDD's in this configuration....you can leave the IDE cables attached to Both HDD's and select the particular HDD (with Power Off ) before boot up by switching ONLY the 5v and 12v ( red and yellow ) Power connections....I could switch ALL 4 if you think it's Better.....

First off.....is ANY of this true......and if so......can I do the same thing with more than 2 HDD's.....say 6 HDD's with a 4-Pole 6-Throw Rotary Switch....and an additional Safety Switch to ensure the Power is Off before switching....

RESTRICTIONS:
With the System I will be using it in.....I am stuck using IDE 40-pin ribbon cable.....and ONLY allowed to use "SEE" one HDD at a time....

Hope you have the answer........

Thanx in advance.........
October 29, 2006 7:25:14 PM

Here's an idea, get a new motherboard that supports at least 6 SATA devices (ASUS) with a onboard RAID controller (ASUS) and set the RAID function to "JOBD" (Just a Bunch Of Disks).........
October 29, 2006 7:49:22 PM

Would if I could.....

It's not for a PC......Linex Based TIVO ( similar ).....

The idea was to plug into their one IDE channel in Re-place their existing HDD with an expanded device that holds TB's and is moderately accessible...Yet still look appealing..... Sandwiched between TV and TIVO.....

Just a thought.....they already sell them as USB.....in tower ( ATA Form )......for $140.00

There seems to be a growing interest in this aspect of Media Storage Devices.....

I just don't explain things very well at all.....My bad......
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 29, 2006 8:06:39 PM

given that the 3-4 power lines going to a HDD are 5V 12V and 2x ground, switching 5v and 12v is same as switching all four.

I had a icydock that i used with an ide hdd, when you turned the key so it could be removed it would allow it work like a switch to select boot devices, i.e. the icydock was first boot device, and a 2nd hd was 2nd boot devicem if I turned off the icy dock it defaulted to the 2nd device whether I had withdrawn it for not.

sounds like what you want to do, just not sure what connections that key switched, I do not imagine it was all 40pins.

You'd better ensure that you can't have two on at the same time in your switching circuitry as this could confuse it, and you may end up corrupting the hdd's...
October 29, 2006 9:12:51 PM

Thanx monkey.....

I would have a Safety Switch in Series with the 2-Pole 6-Throw Rotary switch....

The question is can I do it with MORE than 2 HDD on the SAME buss...You say you NEVER had conflicts with the PASSIVE or DARK HDD....

You saw Only one Drive at a time.....Were they BOTH set to Master....

Thanks.....Bare with me one more time Please....

I am interested in making an external storage device that would expand TIVO

or similar....

I am thinking about gutting an old VCR and using the case to house 6

HDD's.....ALL of which are set to Master....IDE's of diferent volume sizes......to

create a Massive External IDE Media Storage Device.....

The practicle application here....was to increase storage space for a Linux

based TIVO(similar)....by using their existing IDE port where their SOLE HDD is

now connected.....and replace it with a BANK of HDD's yielding TB's...via

40-pin IDE cable and Rotary Switch for power.....to store and play ALL Media

Formats....Audio...Video...Slide Show....Etc...and look good sandwiched

between the TV and TIVO.....

There seems to be a growing awareness for such devices and an 8-rack USB

sells for $140.00 right now with a towering ATA Form Factor....But My system

ONLY has the IDE Port available ......and I want to exploit it.....if possible...

It was implied from other forums.....that with 2 HDD's ....BOTH set as

MASTER......and the data cables attached to Both HDD's....you could select the

particular HDD (safely with System Power Off ) by switching ONLY the 5v and

12v ( red and yellow ) Power connections.....but I could switch ALL 4 (

including grounds ) if you think it's wiser.....

First off.....is ANY of this true......and if so......can I do the same thing with more

than 2 HDD's.....say 6 HDD's with a 4-Pole 6-Throw Rotary Switch....and an

additional Safety Switch to ensure the System Power is Off before initiating

switching....

I am seeking answers for whether or not multiple IDE HDD's can be externally

selected by merely supplying the Power to ONE particular HDD....While ALL

HDD's keep their Data Cables attached.....

With the System Powered Down....can you simply move the power connector

from the first HDD in a stack....to the fourth HDD....if ALL HDD's are set to

"MASTER"....and Might have diferent Volume size.... and yet....SEE (access )

only one HDD....even though they are ALL on the SAME Buss......

Thanx

RESTRICTIONS:
With the System I will be using it in.....I am stuck using IDE 40-pin ribbon

cable.....and ONLY allowed to use "SEE" one HDD at a time....

Hope you have the answer........

Thanx again .........
a b G Storage
October 29, 2006 9:31:15 PM

I understand it is similar to a sky+ box, i.e. it records digital encoded format.

now I was using std cables, and the other (off) drive did not exist according to bios.

The limiting factor to doing many drives is having a cable with enough 'ends' on it. you could fudge them together with wire (wire joining two femail ends together) if only 1 would be on at a time.

theory sounds ok, try it with some crappy very old hdd's first?
October 29, 2006 9:50:50 PM

Thanx.....

I found a 4-IDE plus 1 or a 5 connector for $5.00 + S&H....

And a 4-Pole 6-Throw Rotary for $10......

I have 6 NEW drives.....and last week I threw away an old VCR.....

Looks like I'll be going to Garage Sales.....

I have it all laid out and Aesthetically...... it will be Perfect.....

Thanks Again.....That's a MARK in the Right Column for now.....

All I have is NEW DRIVES.....so I need a couple More Good Marks.....Before I take the plunge......

Of coarse.....I'll still only add one HDD at a time until ALL Testing is Final......

Looks like Someone is going to get a VERY nice Christmas present......Fully loaded Too......About 250 movies.....40k mp3's.....hours of Slide Shows......and yet.....plenty of room left to Record.....

$50.00 plus HDD's......those I'll get the day after Thanksgiving.....

Thanx again......
!