jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hello!
I have placed the order for the Asus P5WDH Deluxe mobo (with the E6600) (hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow) - this board has provision for controlling the case fan speed. The case fans (Antec nine hundred) have the molex type connectors and I'm not sure how to connect them to the mobo connectors - any suggestions?

Thanks!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yep, cut the 4-pin molex connector off and re-attach the correct modular fitting........do a search for polarized header or modular connectors, Directron.com has em.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yep, your right..........i was just trying to teach him the correct procedure.
There are adapters available at FrozenCPU.com,
The ASUS M2N32-SLI board has the Q-fan feature as well, the temp recorder is within a degree or 2 of the infra-red probe.
I don't mind using the mobo to monitor the temps, but i wouldn't trust it to adjust fan speed so i use a Zalman fan-bus to adjust RPM

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It'd be better to use a dedicated fan controller since most fans that requires a molex typically need more power which might burn out a mobo header.

Just an added warning.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thank you everyone! I guess I will stick with the direct connection to the PSU for now and order a fan controller later. :)

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Thank you everyone! I guess I will stick with the direct connection to the PSU for now and order a fan controller later. :)

I agree with the general consensus here. Hooking them up to your PSU is probably your best bet.
I would recommend a rheobus controller where you can manually control the fan speeds via knobs that you can turn but those generally require the 3-pin tail that the CPU fan almost always have.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If you want a fan-controller, I recommend the Vantec Nexus NXP-301... or any other Vantec's... their fan controllers usually work better than most...