Mother Needs Help.........

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Greetings Experts,

Need some help..Purchased a Gateway FX510S last March with 2.0GM of Ram...Went out and bought two 1-GB Memory Modules and filled the reamining 2 slots...My PC ONLY recognizes 3.25GB of RAM....I checked each module by having them in the PC one at a time..All show 1.0GB of Ram...

Gateway does NOT have A BIOS update for my Motherboard......Any Help?

Intel Motherboard w/975x (WT97510J ?)

Thanks...

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
This is normal for XP 32 bit version. It has to do with how the OS allocates memory space. Your system is functioning fine. Why do you need 4GB of RAM? @Gb should suffice for anything other than some specialized programs.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Just gearing up for Vista and wanted to fill the slots....Gateway claimed the system can go to 8.0GB.....

When I do purchase the 64bit Vista sometime next year will the operating system then recognize the 4.0GM of RAM?.....

Gateway support seems to think the only answer is a BIOS update but, Intel has not provided them with one as of this writing.......

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Just gearing up for Vista and wanted to fill the slots....Gateway claimed the system can go to 8.0GB.....

When I do purchase the 64bit Vista sometime next year will the operating system then recognize the 4.0GM of RAM?.....

Gateway support seems to think the only answer is a BIOS update but, Intel has not provided them with one as of this writing.......

The System can technically go to 8GB, that´s right. It´s the limitation of the mainboard/chipset. Windows 32bit can only address 2^32 byte though, which is exactly 4GB.
The difference between the 4 GB and what you really have is caused by lazy people not doing their jobs. Some parts of the hardware on your motherboard (onboard sound or onboard graphics for example, but a dedicated graphic card too, if you have one) are adressed using the memory adresses. Its a "dirty" way to use them, yet it has been something of a standard for years. Software people are lazy people. An optimized bios could reduce the wasted amount, but it cannot completely remove it.
For now you´re stuck with what you have until you switch to an operating system that has a bigger adress space - windows XP 64 bit, windows vista or linux would be such systems. If you´re curious, yes, even whith a 64 bit operating system they still use the memory to adress hardware, but you will never notice it since the adress pace is 2^64 which is significantly larger. Unless you intend to upgrade to 17179869184 GB RAM you won´t notice.
If you are really eager to get more of your 4 GB you could start to disable devices on your PC. Sound, modems, Network stuff etc. That might increase your memory closer to 4GB. I wouldn´t do that though. 3.25 is more than sufficent and around chrismas you can upgrade to vista and enjoy all of your memory.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
interesting read...you're over my head but, many people are.....If I understand correctly, when I upgrade to the Windows Vista 64 bit my full 4.0 GB or Ram will be recognized?.......

This then is NOT an issue that could be corrected with a BIOS update for my Motherboard when available?....

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
interesting read...you're over my head but, many people are.....If I understand correctly, when I upgrade to the Windows Vista 64 bit my full 4.0 GB or Ram will be recognized?.......

This then is NOT an issue that could be corrected with a BIOS update for my Motherboard when available?....

You got that quite right. Once you install Vista it will shine with all those 4GB RAM of yours.

To my knowledge even an updated bios will not fix your problem. Your bios knows there are 4GB because it can adress 8 GB. Your current Windows just can´t use that much.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Oh Baby!...My headache is gone....Just wait for Vista.....You would think the Techs at Gateway could answer this issue....It's good to belong to some boards where the REAL experts hang.......

Thanks........

Say Vista comes out in time for Christmas....In your view, how many months should I wait before purchasing it?....You know, how many months before a majority of the bugs are worked out of it?.....

I just hope I can wait...................

These hyperlinks drive me crazy but, pays for the board?.....

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Say Vista comes out in time for Christmas....In your view, how many months should I wait before purchasing it?....You know, how many months before a majority of the bugs are worked out of it?.....

:lol:

A Service Pack is a pretty solid indicator for a lot of squashed bugs and a more solid and stable system. Maybe you remember the evolution of Windows XP and the changes they introduced with the Service Packs. Service Pack 1 was a big patch, Service Pack 2 was an even bigger one but introduced more functions and features which is a good sign for a softwares maturity.
But to answer your question, i would wait for the first service pack or the first batch of security updates. It might take some time for that though.

Since there were some Vista betas published before the release, the most serious bugs should be ironed out already. If you really get "that itch" and can´t wait, then only wait for a few weeks to see if there are any serious issues.

If you really can´t wait, just get a good firewall (get that anyway) and a decent anti-virus software package (steer clear of Norton!) and take the dive. I doubt that there will be bugs in there that will keep you from working. Gaming might be a different issue, but Microsoft will be under a lot of pressure to fix it quick.

It all depends on what you need your system for. If you work with it and you can´t afford to loose a few days of work to Mr. Gatenstein you shouldn´t upgrade fast. Don´t let a piece of bits redline your blood pressure.

These hyperlinks drive me crazy but, pays for the board?.....[/b]

It pays the bills and keeps the forum members on the edge, cursing and cussing. :lol:

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Great advice..Thanks…

Yes, I run a firewall..I run a complete McAfee package of antivirus, firewall etc. etc.

Do not use my PC for business............ purely pleasure and tasks that need to be done..Everyone thinks I am an “expert” which I am not..Just use my PC frequently for almost everything from bill pay to emailing co-workers, sending faxes and all communications etc. I guess I’m a real PC hobbyist.

I hope McAfee will update my service to INCLUDE Vista Operating System…Speaking of which, will I have to trash my 32 bit Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Front Page and Microsoft XP Office?...I hope Vista will run them…..Don’t want to “re-purchase” them in 64 bit programs…….

Thanks again for your help…

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Speaking of which, will I have to trash my 32 bit Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Front Page and Microsoft XP Office?...I hope Vista will run them…..Don’t want to “re-purchase” them in 64 bit programs…….

Vista should run 32 bit applications fine, with the emphasis on should. This would be a reason to wait for at least a few days to see first reviews to be sure it does work with most of your software. As an alternative you could check the webpages of the manufacturers of your different software programs to see if vista does support them. MS products should run and i would be surprised if Photoshop wouldn´t run.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
....Very Good.......I also run an HP Laser Jet Printer 1300 and an HP ScanJet 3970...I was on the support site leaving my email address and they did send me an email announcing their 64bit drivers are available for download.....Maybe with Vista, they will be plug and play?..Anyway, I know where to find the drivers if I need them....

I have the "media edition" of XP and run a coaxial cable right into my tower to watch TV in the mornings on my PC upstairs in my den...There must be a "media edition" of Vista too......

Thanks again for your postings...lots of help....I'm sure I'll be back with more problems for posting............

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I also run an HP Laser Jet Printer 1300 and an HP ScanJet 3970...I was on the support site leaving my email address and they did send me an email announcing their 64bit drivers are available for download.....Maybe with Vista, they will be plug and play?..Anyway, I know where to find the drivers if I need them....
I´m rather confident the operating system will ship with a quite huge set of drivers for common devices as printers, scanners, modems etc.

I have the "media edition" of XP and run a coaxial cable right into my tower to watch TV in the mornings on my PC upstairs in my den...There must be a "media edition" of Vista too......

Indeed. While there are only a few different versions of Windows XP, it seems there will be plenty of Windows Vista.

See here.

pat

Expert
Greetings Experts,

Need some help..Purchased a Gateway FX510S last March with 2.0GM of Ram...Went out and bought two 1-GB Memory Modules and filled the reamining 2 slots...My PC ONLY recognizes 3.25GB of RAM....I checked each module by having them in the PC one at a time..All show 1.0GB of Ram...

Gateway does NOT have A BIOS update for my Motherboard......Any Help?

Intel Motherboard w/975x (WT97510J ?)

Thanks...

You need a 64bits CPU to use the 64 bits OS to actually have more than 4gb of TOTAL adressable space. As other poster said, it is a 32 bits limitation. no matter how hard you try. And since everything, not just the RAM, in a computer need address spaces (video card, sound card, printer,..) then there is simply not enough available for the whole 4 gb. the total memory equal the adress available minus those used..

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I bought my PC with the knowledge of eventually installing 64 bit Vista...My CPU should be up to the task...I have a "Pentium D 950 (3.40 MHz 800Mhz FSB, 2x2MBcache, non-HT (wish I would have spent the money now that I have researched hyper threading) EM64T"

I'm so fired up now, I may not wait for the first Vista patch!

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Yep they are correct as long as your MB BIOS recognizes all 4gig of ram then the Memory is good and functioning correctly. 32bit windows as they have said can not recognize more then 3.5gig of memory. If i am not mistaken you could run 64-bit windows which should recognize all 4gig of memory. As for Vista i would wait just a little bit after its released for drivers and hardware problems to surface and fixes start coming out. When i was using 64-bit windows i would still notice with even using 64-bit drivers that there was some problems going on.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
64%20bit.jpg

I did research this at one time......So, I understand now the absolute limit of my 32-bit XP OS for virtual memory is 4GB...and the reason I don't show this is because other things/items/hardware as mentioned above using this space....again, thanks to all for the help......

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Dude, a certain B.Gates and his devilish minions have been a little economical with with the truth as far as 32 bit XP and the amount of RAM it can utilise is concerned. :twisted:

Concur but it is almost besides the point now. The minions will be very busy trying to cover up the next mess that is soon to be released.