Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Let me make an example on what I mean real quick.

I had a dell few years ago that the motherboard got fried from lightning. I eventually found out it was the mobo that got fried, so I replaced it, after replacing it I found out I needed a new case. Because the dell case has different kinda of connectors smaller ones that you connect on the mobo to start the computer up etc. So I eventually had to buy a new case also after getting the new mobo.

So my question is I have a friend that has an emachines, and needs to replace the mobo, will they have to buy a new case also?

Thanks for any help.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Either yes or no is possible. But I have a couple years old eMachines case that I modified with a window and painted and stuff for practice, it supports all regular motherboards. The eMachines I have seen inside are like a normal homebuilt, nothing wierd and specific the way Dell's are. But if it is a new PC, I couldnt tell you. Pics would be the most helpful.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I would think that the biggest thing would be the power supply if there was any problem at all. Generally manufacturers conform to ATX standards for their mounting positions, but the power supplies are generally lackluster for modern hardware.

Now, if you had one of the BTX designs where the motherboard is on the wrong side, you'll definitely have to get another case.

Your specific problem for the earlier build probably stemmed from the dell power supply having a 20 pin connector, and the new motherboard needing a 24 pin connector. This might possibly be the case with the emachines as well, but the problem is easily solved by getting a new power supply that has the 24 pin connector as its main connector. Just make sure the new motherboard needs a 24 pin connector, if not, you can take your chances with the OEM PS from emachines. Otherwise, go to newegg and order a new power supply. Preferably 350 watts or above for modern motherboards.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Is this your motherboard>? Click Link.

What you can do is use a tape measue to check the dimensions of your current motherboard and then look for a micro atx the same size that will fit in the case. The sites usually give dimensions of the boards. BUT a new board might not fit due to the back of the case where the ports stick out of the back might be a problem and the case will need modification. You might be better off just getting a new case. The other issue will be the power supply and can you fit a regular size one in the case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/eMachines-Motherboard-SEABREEZE-101220_W0QQitemZ280042547685QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44943QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@ caamsa

Thanks very much for that ebay link, and yes thats the exact one. I appreciate it, sent it to my friend.

And thanks to everyone else for your help. Hopefully that is all I'll need.

Thanks Storm~