My dot net app cannot access the registry

brucecarl

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I have a large application written in .net 1.1. this app needs to read and write to the registry. On windows XP this works flawlessly but on windows 7 it fails with no error message. simply, windows 7 will not let my dot net app read or write to the registry even if logged on as an administrator
How can I set application security to allow my app to read and write to the registry regardless of the security level of the user.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,
Windows 7 doesn't install dot Net 1.1 by default, it starts with dotNet Framework 3.5 or 4.
There are some applications that require a specific dotNet Framework version, some of the older ones, and possibly that is the problem. Should call the software company and ask if it requires the early version to run.

Other option is to run i Win-7 compatabililty mode for Win-XP

brucecarl

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hi I found the answer at http://saranspot.blogspot.com/2009 [...] 11-on.html

Absolutely perfect. :wahoo:

the problem is that windows 7 will not let dot net 1.1 install without service pack 1 but can't add service pack 1 until dot net 1.1 installed catch 22 situation. The above link explanes exactly and precisely how to stream the two msi files and install both the dot net framework 1.1 with service pack 1 at the same time.

Fabulous.

This worked perfectly on my new win 7 64 bit dell laptop and Now I can run all my old legacy 1.1 apps without having to upgrade them to 3.5 or 4.0.

I also have 3.5 and 4.0 version apps running on the same machine.

Cheers,

Brucecarl