Blank CD Recognition

My DVD player seems to recognise Music CDs, and DVD films OK, but not Blank
CDs or Data CDs. I would have expected the system to open the appropriate
software to deal with either of these types of CD. I assume that I have lost
some registry setting/link for these types to be recognised. Note that both
these items show various possibilities in the "autoplay" menu for both Blank
CDs, and "mixed" Cds.
7 answers Last reply
More about blank recognition

    Hi,

    What do you mean it doesn't recognize a blank CD? Are you able to write to
    one? Is there an error message? Keep in mind that when you view a blank disc
    via Windows Explorer, it will show 0 bytes since there is no table of
    contents yet to list size and contents.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Oldster" <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > My DVD player seems to recognise Music CDs, and DVD films OK, but not
    > Blank CDs or Data CDs. I would have expected the system to open the
    > appropriate software to deal with either of these types of CD. I assume
    > that I have lost some registry setting/link for these types to be
    > recognised. Note that both these items show various possibilities in the
    > "autoplay" menu for both Blank CDs, and "mixed" Cds.

    I would have expected a pop-up window allowing me to select which
    software I wished to use on this blank disc.

    Hi,

    Generally only one writing program should be active on the system to prevent
    conflicts. There would be no choice offering, as the system sees the active
    one as being the only choice.

    --

    > I would have expected a pop-up window allowing me to select which
    > software I wished to use on this blank disc.

    "Oldster" <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I would have expected a pop-up window allowing me to select which
    > software I wished to use on this blank disc.

    I am uncertain why you expect this to happen. Have you seen other systems do
    this? If so then they have third party software installed and that software
    has a setting which enables it to ask the user what they want to do with the
    blank media. Some software will do that. Some software packages that contain
    mixed burning software like Easy Media Creator will do this.

    If you haven't seen it then I guess it is something that MS might consider
    coding into the OS in the future but I highly doubt they would do that. They
    haven't for blank floppies or new hard drives. Pop a blank floppy into the
    drive. You don't get a pop up asking you what you want to do. Connect a new
    hard drive. You don't get a pop up asking you what you want to do either. So
    why should a blank CD be any different? When I put a blank CD into the drive
    I should have already formulated an intent on how I plan to use it.
    Otherwise why would I have put a blank disc into the drive? Having a pop up
    asking what I want to do with it would be an annoyance AFAIC.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    It's just that when you put in a DVD, or a music CD, you DO get a pop-up
    window allowing you to select the player! I just expected the same to happen
    on other items that appear on the "Autoplay" drop down lists!

    > It's just that when you put in a DVD, or a music CD, you DO get a
    > pop-up window allowing you to select the player! I just expected the same
    > to happen on other items that appear on the "Autoplay" drop down lists!
    Ok I can see your point. Personally I find the autoplay feature an annoyance
    sometimes and other times it is great. I prefer autoplay for music or DVD
    movies but would rather it not search the disc when I'm popping in a data
    disc.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    this happened to me when i instaled sp 2 when i removed it was alright

    marion

    > "Oldster" <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > It's just that when you put in a DVD, or a music CD, you DO get a
    > > pop-up window allowing you to select the player! I just expected the
    same
    > > to happen on other items that appear on the "Autoplay" drop down lists!
    > Ok I can see your point. Personally I find the autoplay feature an
    annoyance
    > sometimes and other times it is great. I prefer autoplay for music or DVD
    > movies but would rather it not search the disc when I'm popping in a data
    > disc.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp