NIC and P2P traffic

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi I joined just a while ago.

Lately I have been running some p2p apps and my browsing speed is down to a crawl - possibly 56K or worse effective where I have cable broadband.

Some things I observed:
- Only my browsing speed goes down. Combined p2p speeds could be up in 1000s so it doesn't look like my ISP is capping me.
- My browsing speed is always slow regardless of how many p2p transfers I have going and what kind of transfer rate I am getting. I could have one transfer at 0kbps or 30+ at 500kbps - doesn't matter. If I connect I'm slow.

I thought my router might be affecting this so I recently bypassed my router and all other network hardware and connected my PC directly to my cable modem. This made no difference.

My question now is assuming I don't stop any p2p, could a better NIC improve this situation or would the problem be elsewhere?

Thanks.

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have been watching my transfers from time to time and I think you're right. I just never thought that my measly 30-40kbps UL would actually be at my cap...

Unfortunately my software doesn't allow very reliable UL control but at least I know what the problems is now. Thanks!

AGWard17

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
If you have a router in your SOHO (home) network you may choose to modify its QoS (Quality of Service) settings. You will want to give port 80 (http) priority. That way if your router is processing both p2p traffic and web traffic, the web traffic will be processed first.

4745454b

Titan
First, let me play bad cop. Shame on you for stealing things. How dare you rob money from all those poor artists who are starving. How dare you download programs without paying for them. I mean sure, you could download netlimiter which would solve all kinds of upload/download problems by letting you select how much of your pipe you want to give not only each program, but each IP address your connected to. They wrote the program and deserve money for their efforts.

Ok, I'm done, have fun :wink:

TRENDING THREADS