Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
My current set-up includes:

Gigabyte 965P-DS4 (Bios version: F6)
Intel Allendale E6300
2GB ADATA Vitesta DDR2 667
Grandmars X1900GT
AcBel API4PC23 (550watts)

In the midst of surfing my computer suddenly rebooted, then upon booting up it showed the Q-flash utility. I did not even press delete to enter the BIOS yet the Q-flash started copying the settings from the back-up BIOS to the main BIOS (or vice-versa). I did not interrupt Q-flash since I thought that interrupting the process would mess up my computer. However, after the BIOS copy ended, Q-flash reported that the copy BIOS FAILED. When I pressed a key to restart my computer, it went into a routine wherein the fans, HDD and CD-ROM would inititalize then power down then intialize after a second or so.

My computer has been running stably for since I assembled it (about a week ago). It was overclocked to 2.68 Ghz with the FSB at 384 (1:1 ratio). RAM settings are relaxed at 5-5-5-5. It was very stable at these settings. I was runnning Orthos when not playing Oblivion to stress the system and it was stable at these settings.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How were you able resolve it?

I need your replies ASAP since I will have to send whichever part that might have failed overseas for replacement (from Philippines to Hongkong).

I will appreciate any help that you can extend. Thank you very much.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You might want to go to gigabytes website to obtain the latest bios, and put it on floppy disk.

Then booting up, (according to your MB manual) hitting F8 should get you into the Q-flash utility. From there you should be able to install the latest bios for your board.

t1ng0t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks Grimmy.

However, my problem stems from the fact that I cannot even get into the BIOS anymore. The computer is stuck in a pre-BIOS loop.

And I was already using the latest official bios release.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm.. I was thinking that could be happening.

Have you tried just holding the F8 button when you power it on?

Chances are, you could have a bios chip sent to you rather then the whole MB, which should take less time.

Dunno, what to recommend at this point.

t1ng0t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks anyway. The bios chips are soldered directly onto the mobo. I do not trust my soldering skills enough to try that even if that option were available. I just might return the board.

Any replacement recommendations?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Doh.. I ended up looking at that bios q-flash in the PDF manual.

Seems as though, you need to be in the bios 1st, then hit F8.

Bummer. Not understanding why that backup didn't work right.

And seeing that comment off the website:

Safe is the key feature of GIGABYTE S-series motherboards with the following elements: Excellent hardware design, reinforced BIOS protection through GIGABYTE Dual BIOS Plus Technology and GIGABYTE BIOS Setting Recovery Technology. Unique system software such as Xpress Recovery 2, PC Health Monitor, HDD S.M.A.R.T., and C.O.M. further strengthen the stability and reliability of your PC!

Heh, still gets broken..

I suppose you can't change the bios chip, like ya used too... :oops:

Edit:

That does have the dual bios?

Also, just don't understand why it just rebooted, and went into the q-flash when you need to hit del to get to the bios. Weird.

G

I would try to find the root cause too, suddent rebot might be Ram/PSU,

Try booting with only 1 stick, etc, try booting without HD/optical/anything useless.

Probably need to send back the mobo anyway but try some troubleshooting first.

t1ng0t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Have pretty much done all that. I am just about resigned to returning the board. From what I have read in other forums, this poblem seems to be localized within this particular board series.

Thanks for the help.

xelaju

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
same problem. worked for a month now won't boot.
No post but blue mboard led is on and also clear cmos led.
new power supply did not help.