Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 8800GTX Spy Pics! Will this run The Sims at 640X480?

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2006 12:57:07 AM

Spy pictures of the new Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX by Asus!

Im so excited. These are the rumored specs.

GeForce 8800GTX
Core clock: 575MHz
Pixel pipelines: 128
Memory: 768MB DDR3
Memory interface: 384-bit
Memory bandwidth: 86GB/s

GeForce 8800GTS
Core clock: 500MHz
Pixel pipelines: 96
Memory: 640MB DDR3
Memory interface: 320-bit
Memory bandwidth: 64GB/s

The 8800GTX is suppossed to by 11Inches long! Holy crap.

1st Article

2nd Article

Lets make this a good discussion.
October 30, 2006 1:35:53 AM

R u serious 11 inches. Damn. It will be 3 inches into my hard drives. I just bought this case. This sucks. :( 
Related resources
October 30, 2006 1:46:41 AM

man that thing looks hungry.
October 30, 2006 1:59:35 AM

Pre-production model. We'll see if it's 11" when it is released. As for now, I don't believe that's a retail product.

Will it fit into my Shuttle case?
October 30, 2006 2:28:34 AM

Has anyone seen any die shots? If so please share :lol: 
October 30, 2006 2:35:48 AM

i read somwhere that because of these cards therre might have to be some atx revisions due to the size and so there is adequate airflow around the cards

sorry for no link
October 30, 2006 3:34:23 PM

Quote:
Has anyone seen any die shots? If so please share :lol: 

I saw some yesterday. But I just spent 10 minutes on google trying to find them again to no avail.

Now just so you guys are clear. The GTX is suppossed to be 11", but the GTS is only suppossed to be 9". Hell Im gonna measure the inside of my case right now to see if it will fit.

Holy crap. My 9600SE is 7" long. 9" and Ill be almost touching the hard drive. 11" Well I guess I just have to move my hard drive somewhere else....... :twisted:
a b } Memory
October 30, 2006 3:36:34 PM

I'm sorry to say that the 8800GTX isn't that powerful. You will be able to play The Sims at 640x480, but it will be in shades of grey, not color.
October 30, 2006 4:04:20 PM

Wow, this topic hasn't been covered yet... :roll:
October 30, 2006 4:29:00 PM

There's no way they're gonna get away with it being 11" long, almost noone has a case that big.

There's no way in hell I'm gona buy one of those because I just don't need it, but for those of you who do buy them, you can always mount your hard disks in 5 1/4in drive bays. I've had mine like that with a couple of fans stuck in the gap on the other side for a few months, they've never run cooler and I don't think only being mounted on one side is stressing them at all.
October 30, 2006 4:38:11 PM

Yeah, grey scale only. Luckily the 10 billion FPS you get will probably make you crap yourself anyways and then you likely won't notice the lack of color. Also, you will probably light your PC on fire trying to cut out the hard drive bay with a plasma torch to make room before you even get to play it.
October 30, 2006 5:00:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, grey scale only. Luckily the 10 billion FPS you get will probably make you crap yourself anyways and then you likely won't notice the lack of color. Also, you will probably light your PC on fire trying to cut out the hard drive bay with a plasma torch to make room before you even get to play it.

With a careful use of an acetylene torch you can heat the card while slowly bending it. That way for all you small case user will be able to fit this card. That or you could saw the half end but would lose about 512mb of memory and 30fps to the card.
October 30, 2006 5:03:42 PM

That video card is TEH STOOPID.

It reminds me of the old 3Dfx V5500 and the even more stupid V6000.

Truly, PC video is getting very very dumb.
October 30, 2006 5:05:02 PM

I have an Ultra Aluminus case so I guess I'll be able to fit it in my case... too bad my budget won't allow it. I'll have to settle for the new X1650XT... from what I've heard, for $140-$150, it can't be beat. And it'll be a HUGE upgrade from the integrated 6100 I'm running. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
October 30, 2006 5:25:10 PM

Wow, that Ultra case is almost exactly the same as my Antec Sonata 2. The inside is pretty much identical and the outside is the same other than the side window and the 'look' of the front. Same front on the 5 1/4 area and power / reset switches. It seems kind of expensive @ $99 (at least on the ultra website). I bought my sonata 2 for $130 CAD and it came with a decent 450W PSU.
October 30, 2006 5:29:48 PM

Quote:

Haha! That makes me laugh...

It sounds from the specs that they threw it together. The bus speed isnt a 2^x type number. Is is 256 +128?? WTF?
-cm
October 30, 2006 5:54:15 PM

Anyone notice the weird ass specs on the GTS... wtf is a 320 bit bus... 640mb of memory? I don't even want to figure out how much memory will be on each module... 64mb at 10 modules... nm...

Either way, the 320 bit bus is weird at best, don't know if thats for any performance gains (I would really like to see proof of that) or because they scrapped this card together out of the droppings of the GTX...
October 30, 2006 6:03:15 PM

Quote:
It seems kind of expensive @ $99 (at least on the ultra website). I bought my sonata 2 for $130 CAD and it came with a decent 450W PSU.

Lol. I practically stole my case... got it from Fry's last friday for $80, and it has a $60 rebate. Same for my PSU... Ultra 500W, $70 with $50 rebate... really good deals.

EDIT: and the gloss on the aluminum frame is amazing. It also happens to be incredibly light... i was upgrading from a generic case about 2/3 the size of the Aluminus, and the Aluminus weighs less.
October 30, 2006 6:22:57 PM

Good deal. I hope the power supply is decent, haven't heard much about Ultra. I know tigerdirect sells a lot of Ultra brand stuff, but I have never bought anything from them. My Antec case is not aluminum, that is a good deal for that case if the build quality is top notch.
October 30, 2006 6:43:38 PM

I've heard a few rants about Ultra PSU's, but lots of good stuff as well. This is flat out the best PSU I have ever had... 120mm fan, dual rail, SLI support, and a kick ass black gloss finish that looks awesome through the window of my Aluminus.
October 30, 2006 6:56:56 PM

im gonna make a fool of myself here, but the odd numbers are due to the fact that they dont have unified shaders like ATI. its like 512 megs for one kind of shader and 128 for the other. same thing for the memory interface bits. will someone who knows what im talking about but has a good memory please elaborate/correct me. thank you
October 30, 2006 8:43:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that the 8800GTX isn't that powerful. You will be able to play The Sims at 640x480, but it will be in shades of grey, not color.

Good for dogs who are gamers...
October 30, 2006 8:56:57 PM

Haha that thing was hilarious. Looks like something that was built from a "my first computer board" kit.

This 8800 better rock with these outlandish size and power reqts and that absurd price.
October 30, 2006 9:02:41 PM

Shuttle PC with G80 anyone? :p 
October 30, 2006 9:02:50 PM

Ahh the Voodoo5 6000... it was a monstrosity to behold. I don't know if you can see it in that pic, but I'm pretty sure the card (or some versions of it) came with an external power brick.

Imagine that with a modern heatsink and fan snapped on... you'd probably need supporting brackets to hold it up.
October 30, 2006 9:14:56 PM

holy sh*t. you'd need to get the lian-li pcv-1200 just to barely fit that thing. (i took the measurements of the case, and compared them to that of my desk, it would cover the entire length of my desk, which is frickin huge already).
October 30, 2006 10:03:13 PM

Quote:

Just cut the back out, it will be air cooled at room temperature for 75% of the length of the card.

Does anyone remember voodoo's first version of SLI? One AGP card and One PCI Card? Only like 3 games supported it. I remember a buddy of mine had one of those setups. People b*tch about loud fans now? That thing sounded like a 747 taking off.
October 30, 2006 10:06:32 PM

I knew that SLI arrived with the Voodoo2 cards (actually it was there with the Voodoo1 cards, but hardly worth mentioning), but I didn't know it was 1 AGP and 1 PCI. I always assumed that it was 2 PCI. Weird.
October 30, 2006 10:42:54 PM

I'm glad I got a full sized tower... people look at it and think it is too big... I'm laughing now, I just measured and I could get a 16" card in :lol: 
October 30, 2006 10:58:52 PM

... :cry:  now I have tower envy!
October 30, 2006 11:04:39 PM

Quote:

Just cut the back out, it will be air cooled at room temperature for 75% of the length of the card.

Does anyone remember voodoo's first version of SLI? One AGP card and One PCI Card? Only like 3 games supported it. I remember a buddy of mine had one of those setups. People b*tch about loud fans now? That thing sounded like a 747 taking off.
Does it fly? 8O
October 30, 2006 11:16:23 PM

heh its like prescott (and smithfield), amd 4x4, and geforce 5800 all put together in one kickass "bigger is better" sort of way.

Quote:

Spy pictures of the new Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX by Asus!

Im so excited. These are the rumored specs.

GeForce 8800GTX
Core clock: 575MHz
Pixel pipelines: 128
Memory: 768MB DDR3
Memory interface: 384-bit
Memory bandwidth: 86GB/s

GeForce 8800GTS
Core clock: 500MHz
Pixel pipelines: 96
Memory: 640MB DDR3
Memory interface: 320-bit
Memory bandwidth: 64GB/s

The 8800GTX is suppossed to by 11Inches long! Holy crap.

1st Article

2nd Article

Lets make this a good discussion.
October 30, 2006 11:35:49 PM

Yep love these full tower cases plenty of room inside. I am waiting for the R600 though..
October 30, 2006 11:39:50 PM

Quote:
Pre-production model. We'll see if it's 11" when it is released. As for now, I don't believe that's a retail product.

Will it fit into my Shuttle case?

no r u kidding ^. a shuttle wtf, it is as long as your case noob
October 31, 2006 12:07:20 AM

Lol, ur right there is no way that cards gonna fit in a shuttle case unless u pop it out of the front... which will require a fair amount of welding. Ah, how I love my Aluminus.
October 31, 2006 12:39:54 AM

That HS/F is strangely reminiscent of the 6800 Ultra's :lol: 
October 31, 2006 12:45:29 AM

Quote:
Ahh the Voodoo5 6000... it was a monstrosity to behold. I don't know if you can see it in that pic, but I'm pretty sure the card (or some versions of it) came with an external power brick.

Imagine that with a modern heatsink and fan snapped on... you'd probably need supporting brackets to hold it up.

As far as I know, the Voodoo5 6000 was never actually for sale. The prototype made it past a couple of revisions before 3dfx was bought out by nV. You are right about the power brick, tho :lol: 
October 31, 2006 1:15:21 AM

Holy freaking God. Now I wish I'd gotten a badass-er PSU and a full-tower case...suddenly my Hiper 580 and Lian Li mid-tower seem inadequate. I took some measurements and found that I think the GTS will just barely fit in the case. Barely. It's a little bit bigger than my X1900XT, and that's not a tiny card.

Cable routing's gonna be fun with the 3 hard drives and the lights...I'll have to get pretty creative. Either that, or get a full-tower and save my brain :lol: 
October 31, 2006 1:32:19 AM

Looks good,but I think I'll wait for them to actually hit the shelves,then we'll really know what they're made of.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
October 31, 2006 1:42:00 AM

I also hope if you put 2 or 4 of them in SLI, they'll scale better than their predecessors.

Heck, maybe NVIDIA will be redesigning their SLI structure - I sure can't see any bridge connectors on the card from those pics, but that may be from the almost-could-have-been-three-slots-wide cooler. Look at that thing - it actually spills over into the next slot slightly!

Right now AMD-ATI is either laughing or crying at pics like these. I'd really like to see what they have up their R600 sleeves.
October 31, 2006 1:53:55 AM

Quote:
heh its like prescott (and smithfield), amd 4x4, and geforce 5800 all put together in one kickass "bigger is better" sort of way.

Yea- creating heat comprable to a pentium extreme edition 840 and a p4 570 combined, will be as loud as that 5800 "dustbuster" and will require an energy source such as fusion reactors. The only problem is finding a tritium pellet and enough money to design a fusion reactor :p  Oh yea if you want to SLI two 8800GTXs, you better might wanna skip over an external fusion reactor power brick and go straight to antimatter reactions, and invest in one of those shiny heat impervious suits. If you think this is insane, the R600 series is supposed to consume more power, if my memory serves right. Anyone have any clue on this? As for bigger is better, this is true. I mean, a card the size of a small truck is so much better than a tiny little piece of copper covered fiber glass with a puny 24 pixel processor based gpu. jeez lol
October 31, 2006 2:00:42 AM

It's times like these that makes me feel really good about buying a coolermaster stacker...

Eitherway I hope they will shrink it a bit before launch and maybe curb the power requirements by the next gen.
October 31, 2006 2:22:26 AM

Quote:
Yea- creating heat comprable to a pentium extreme edition 840 and a p4 570 combined, will be as loud as that 5800 "dustbuster" and will require an energy source such as fusion reactors. The only problem is finding a tritium pellet and enough money to design a fusion reactor :p  Oh yea if you want to SLI two 8800GTXs, you better might wanna skip over an external fusion reactor power brick and go straight to antimatter reactions, and invest in one of those shiny heat impervious suits. If you think this is insane, the R600 series is supposed to consume more power, if my memory serves right. Anyone have any clue on this? As for bigger is better, this is true. I mean, a card the size of a small truck is so much better than a tiny little piece of copper covered fiber glass with a puny 24 pixel processor based gpu. jeez lol

Lol nice post. I suppose if you harness that heat from the R600 correctly, you can kickstart a fusion reaction, allowing you to the world's first perpetual energy generator. That would be fun. Nobel prize and an R600 at the same time. WHOO!
October 31, 2006 2:26:33 AM

I volunteer... someone other than me... to partake in this mission. It is dangerous and there is a 98.3% chance you will get fused to metal arms that are smarter than you (spider man 2 for those who have seen it) God, you can imagine that power people (Duke Power in South Carolina) are itching for the launch day...
October 31, 2006 2:31:36 AM

BTW the new cards, be it G80 or R600, will disprove perpetual energy theories. I mean if you could harness the power of the sun, the cards would drain the power before it could be replenished :lol: 
October 31, 2006 2:35:57 AM

dogs, contrary to popular belief, can see colours.
October 31, 2006 2:36:32 AM

Use a black hole. Not even those cards can drain that power. I give it 5 years before that happens. God help us then. We'll have mini-Big Bangs (Small Bangs?) inside each PC.
October 31, 2006 2:40:58 AM

That just might work, because with a massive blackhole and the cooling fan on the G80 pulling with the same force, grinding small children and animals, an equilibrium between the two gravitational forces will be reached while the card harnesses the energy- it's just dumb enough to work :lol:  First, drain the sun's energy with the whole fusion reaction harnessing thing so it will implode thus creating a black hole and two, get a propane lantern and lots of propane lol
a b } Memory
October 31, 2006 2:44:23 AM

Quote:
-Who the f#%k is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

-We should take the warning labels off everything and let evolution run its course.

:) 

My X1900XT just fits.....i guess its gonna be Titan550 for me....time to get that antimatter reactor online.....anyone got some spare dilithium for me?
!