klipsch 5.1 original amp finaly blew up after 5 yrs or so

tarrack

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
well it finaly went out on me, so i have some nice speakers but no controler to work them. What to do ? I was looking at the logitec z-5500 set ones. how compareable would they be to the klipsch ones in sound quality. I really got used to the great sound of klipsch but i wont buy another one since thy have issues with there sub going out witch is what i think happened to mine finaly. I just got lucky it lasted this long.

any sugestions ?

contact stpeteshepherd at earthlink dot net. He repairs them and updates the internal cooling. I have added some heatsinks to the back of mine and run a small fan to keep it cooler. Hope it works.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
There are a lot of different opinions between the Logitechs and the Klipschs. Going to the Logitechs after starting from the Klipschs is a lateral move at best.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I've never heard the Klipsch ProMedia's, but I own a Z-5500 and I can't imagine how it could get any better. My good friend used to have the ProMedia's until the amp blew and now he has the Z-5500's and he's very content with it.

Tyhr

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
contact stpeteshepherd at earthlink dot net. He repairs them and updates the internal cooling. I have added some heatsinks to the back of mine and run a small fan to keep it cooler. Hope it works.
Hmmm...may have to hit him up with an email, although shipping from Canada may not make it worth it. :(

I've had 2 Klipsch promedia's die on me - and I'll never buy Klipsch again. It's the sub/controller that fried, the satellites are still fine.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I've never heard the Klipsch ProMedia's, but I own a Z-5500 and I can't imagine how it could get any better. My good friend used to have the ProMedia's until the amp blew and now he has the Z-5500's and he's very content with it.
Same situation with me. Never heard them but I can't imagine how the Z-5500 could get any better, and I also have a friend that went from the ProMedia's to the Z-5500's and is very satisfied.

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
My Klipsch 5.1's blew about a year or two ago also. I contacted Klipsch and they offered to sell me another sub/amp box, they also offered to repair mine for less. I ended up going with the repair and shipping them out the AMP (removed from the sub enclosure). This probably cost me around $100 after shipping, dont remember exactly. Anyway, the replacement has been working ever since.