• AMD + Nvidia

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • AMD + ATI

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I am not meaning to start a fanboy argument or pissing contest, I am just curious.

Regarding CPUs and GPUs, which combination do you prefer?

It seems to me, more AMD users use ATI cards, while more Intel users use Nvidia cards.

Don't flame me for starting a "pointless thread" or anything like that, just cast your vote and satisfy my curiousity :lol:

nibenentt

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
don't have a preference for cpu manufacturer. I just get what ever has the most performance for my money at the time. But i prefer the Nvidia graphics cards. Thus for my build in 6-8 weeks it will have a C2D and Nvidia Graphics card.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Generally I like AMD / nVidia (+Mushkin, Seagate, Asus) although I am now using a Core2Duo (for the great price for a 4M cache high performance chip, but the other systems in my house & group of friends are AMD).
Jo

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I have always been partial towards AMD and ATI. now by no means am I a fan boy, heck I got my eyes on a C2D for my next upgrade, but over the past few years (pretty much since the K6), I have almost exclusively gone with them. as far as vid cards thou, I remember running from 3dfx, to the TNT and the TNT2, (still upset with Nvidia and their "hostile" takeover of 3dfx) then switched to the ATI 8500 and have been using ATI since. once ATI figured out how to play in the enthusiast market and get over their driver issues of old, they seemed to be fairly well on top of things.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I've always preferred AMD and ATI. AMD have been leading Intel for several years now. Of course, that all changed with the release of C2D, but by the end of next year, I suspect AMD will have the upperhand again...

ATI have been leading nVidia for any given generation of cards for sometime now (9700 and 9800 vs FX series, X850 vs 6800, X1900 vs 7900). Again, I suspect (hope) that the R600 will be faster than the 8800. Although, I've loved ATI ever since they released the original Radeon to compete with the GeForce 2.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Tight results right now, hopefully many people will vote. Would be interesting to see the results of this vote compared to results of a vote 6-8 months ago :)

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
In my last two systems it has always been AMD and Nvidia. And its not that I don't want ATI or Intel its just I have been getting better deals with AMD and Nvidia.
BUT as of now... If I had the cash I would so go for a C2d 6400 and an ATI x1900XT,

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
had one ati for about 3 months,
had to remove it because of artifacts on screen, my desktop looked like a bad quality JPG, like blocks around my icons, and window text,...
only worked good on my screen by connecting it on DVI with a converter.

like Nvidia for their dual-screen possibilities.
like AMD for their price/performance

RichPLS

Champion
Hmm, imo it seemed gererally AMD and AMD users gravitated towards nVidia, while they wore the performance/price/overclocking crown...
currently it seems ATI wears that crown, but may change back to nVidia soon...
So it really depends what time period you are referring to...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Landscape of the computer world right now...

People who want the best will be willing to change with the flow, while we still have die-hard fanboys on both sides of the matter... kinda like elections...

Eh, Intel + ATI for the moment, since they seem to have the best in both worlds as of right now. But later... who knows?

I generally go for whichever provides the best performance. My old system was an Athlon XP and Radeon 9800Pro. My new system is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and Radeon 1900XT 512MB (thankfully before prices skyrocketed).

I was going to get the GeForce 7900GT instead of the 1900XT since it is a very powerful card that consumes about 48w of power instead of the 109w of power that the 1900XT consumes. But I want to play Oblivion, so the obvious choice is the 1900XT.

sailer

Splendid
For the past few years, I've used AMD cpu's and rotated between Nvidia and ATI cards. Currently, I use AMD and ATI. When I build my next machine, it will depend on who's best at the time. I'll probably use an AMD cpu, but don't know which video card. But, it all depends on who's best at doing what.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I am curious to see how the AMD/ATI merger will effect things. I honestly haven't read much about it, but I hope AMD doesn't try to push using ATI and vice versa by any means other than bundles and marketing.

sailer

Splendid
I am curious to see how the AMD/ATI merger will effect things. I honestly haven't read much about it, but I hope AMD doesn't try to push using ATI and vice versa by any means other than bundles and marketing.

I suspect that AMD/ATI will still follow standard computer specifications so the ATI cards can be used on any platform or AMD cpu's on any make chipset that supports them. At the same time, AMD may well refine the ATI cards and chipsets in the coding/software so that they will perform better than with AMD cpu's, and vice versa. This would make good business sense.

This would be little different than when Microsoft and Intel did the same, resulting in the Wintel moniker years ago, when the two basic monopolies worker so closely together. The obvious difference is that Microsoft and Intel were two differenct companies, while AMD/ATI are the same.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Generally I prefer AMD/ATI. Both companies historically had the best price/performance/watt, but if I built a computer right now, it would probably be C2D with a 7900GS.

Both Intel and Nvidia seem to have figured out how things work now, so we will see how things progress.

Ethically I like AMD a lot more than Intel, but am neutral between ATI and Nvidia. They are all large companies however so I go with what I feel is the best deal overall.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I can agree that I feel better purchasing an AMD product, being the smaller company and all that. Although it is such a small amount of "feelgood" that it would never influence my decision unless price/performance were identical between the two products in consideration.

It's like buying hardware (nails, hammer, paint, etc) at your local hardware store and paying the 20% markup over Menard's prices, because you know the owners and it gives you a good feeling.

Take that feeling and divide it by ten million, that is the feeling you get buying from AMD vs. Intel :p

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Have usually went with Intel and Nvidia simply because when I was ready to build they happened to have the current superior products.
I have bought AMD before tho the only ATI GPU I've ever had is in my laptop.

I do regret my current rig a tiny bit due to the fact shortly after I built it AMD shot ahead and then ATI got their act together, shrug, hindsight.

At the moment I am once again ready to build and leaning towards e6600 or quadro 6700. As for GPU I'm not entirely sure if I'll go with 7900 GTO or 1900XT and see how the new GPUs play out or just jump in with both feet and get the new 8800GTX when it hits because at least for a while it'll be tops. Decisions decisions lol.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I've never had a preference. My latest rigs have been as follows:

Intel : Nvidia
AMD : Nvidia
AMD : ATI
AMD : Nvidia
Intel : Nvidia

I've liked my results with nvidia cards, but that's not to say I'm a Nvidia fanboy... I just like my Geforce I guess. I tend to go with what's best at the time. The ATI 9600 was a good buy though ;)

No preference

Systems

Intel P133/S3 :)
Intel Celeron 466/ATI(rage 3d to TNT2)
Intel Celeron 800/Via(to Geforce 2mx)
AMD Durron 100/Nvidia-ati GF2-GF4 ti-9800pro)
AMD XP1800 @ 1.93 /ATI (GF4 Ti 4200 - 9800Pro)
AMD A64 3200/ATI (9800Pro - X850pro modded XT)
Intel E6600 @ 3.0 / X1900XT (ohhhh the heat...)
?????/????? my next system

EDIT.
ATI does seem to have better TV out(over-scan on all cards...not like my nvidia's that needed TV tool and such..)

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
HEY G!!!!!!!! Wowzers you got me so excited, I just had to use CAPS!!! :p

What's up dude? I've been lost in Oblivion for the past week modding the crap out of it so it looks better. I've got so many mods on it now it's not even funny :O