Dx9 card price drops after dx10 card release

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
i dont have any concrete information. but it could do one of two things if its like past releases. it could drasticly lower prices in a short time, for the previous gen cards they are still manufacturing certain cards, or it could go the way of the 7800GT/GTX, , in that they stopped manufacturing them almost as soon as the 7900 series came out, and as a result they are still very expensive and not worth the money. unless you already have one and are looking to SLI about now. i would cry if i was stuck like that tho.

randomizer

Champion
I highly doubt they will stop manufacturing dx9 cards because all current software is dx9 and several future games will be dx9 as well. Most people (me included) dont have the money to upgrade to a dx10 card as soon as theyre released and you dont want to lose potential customers just so you can push new tech. In fact, most people dont even know what windows vista or dx10 is or have never even heard about them.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
i agree, they will likely be producing the 7600 series, and many other cards. for a long time, and i do think alot of the cards will drop in prices not to long after the first cards are released. i was just pointing out that, it doesnt always work out that way. in the case of the 7800GT/GTX, and X1800's.

yonir

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
A bit different question:
When do you think low-end (with prices like 7300GT for example) DX10 cards will be out?

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Well they are releasing the two high and mid-high cards first. I would assume it'll be feb-march before we see 7600GS caliber (generation-wise) cards much less something for super budget minded like a 7300 equivalent.

Hell I could be wrong tho but I think its a good guess based on past generations that we won't see 7300 tier cards until mid to late 2007 most likely. Peace.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
6800's didn't drop a lot when 7800's came out.

The only dx10 cards coming out are flagship cards. Don't expect to see anything realistically priced for another few months

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
This thing has already been discussed.

And the plain simple is no.

It didn't happen with the X800s and G70s, so why should it happen now?

Think of supply and demand, more and more people will want the G80s and R600, so why would they drop price of current gen?

randomizer

Champion
This thing has already been discussed.

And the plain simple is no.

It didn't happen with the X800s and G70s, so why should it happen now?

Think of supply and demand, more and more people will want the G80s and R600, so why would they drop price of current gen?
To get rid of old stock of course. And the x800s and g70s were not new tech in the same way the g80 and r600 are. More and more people wanting the g80 and r600, yes; is that more and more people a majority of the population, no. Most people dont want to buy high end hardware because they simply dont have the money or the need for it. Like I said before, there are many people who have never even heard of windows vista or dx10, so why would they go and buy hardware thats optimized for something theyve never heard of?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sucks to be you then cause I already owned one 7800gt and was able to purchase another one after production stopped by a significant time margin.In fact I got a 7800gt co for about $150 less than i payed for the 7800gt.Sorry,just a bit of sarcasm.Feeling a bit peevish tonite for some reason.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I highly doubt they will stop manufacturing dx9 cards because all current software is dx9 and several future games will be dx9 as well. Most people (me included) dont have the money to upgrade to a dx10 card as soon as theyre released and you dont want to lose potential customers just so you can push new tech. In fact, most people dont even know what windows vista or dx10 is or have never even heard about them.
True, true, and erasing the DX 9 cards from market would create a HUGE price range vacuum. There would be widespread outrage due to a lack of affordable cards. Neither ATI nor Nvidia are that stupid. The idea of halting DX 9 production is absurd. Randomizer makes an excellent point: who would buy a gaming graphics card if they can't get one for less than $450?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Sucks to be you then cause I already owned one 7800gt and was able to purchase another one after production stopped by a significant time margin.In fact I got a 7800gt co for about $150 less than i payed for the 7800gt.Sorry,just a bit of sarcasm.Feeling a bit peevish tonite for some reason.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Thats the price dropping over time. Yes of course prices will drop over time, but they arent going to drop $150 on dx10 day.

Also why do you post your specs in every post? Why not just make a signature?

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
To get rid of old stock of course. And the x800s and g70s were not new tech in the same way the g80 and r600 are. More and more people wanting the g80 and r600, yes; is that more and more people a majority of the population, no. Most people dont want to buy high end hardware because they simply dont have the money or the need for it. Like I said before, there are many people who have never even heard of windows vista or dx10, so why would they go and buy hardware thats optimized for something theyve never heard of?
Won't happen in a significant way, maybe few bucks.

Otherwise everyone will just get the $150 7900GTXs, and X1900XTXs. And nVidia and ATI won't make money on their new product. If it was like that, there wouldn't be a reason to release new cards.

convo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I could see ATI dropping the price of their highend GPU's. They have no direct competition with Nvidia till they release the R600. I doubt they will drop it much tho. Once the R600 is out I'm betting Nvidia will drop it's price for the G80 models.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I thought about that,but I was never able to come to a decision.Besides I think people need to see your specs when you answer a question for them.It helps to instill confidence.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Sethanis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
don't think its a good idea to get a dx10 card until dx10 for xp comes out also vista when it does come out (i reckon) will be buggy as hell for a year after!

Tho i could see myself getting 1 or 2 GF7950Gx2s if the price came down, atm in Oz they r about 900 bucks each. AusPC is selling pre order 8800GTXs for between 990 to 1160 bucks, thats Australian dollars tho.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Once the R600 is out I'm betting Nvidia will drop it's price for the G80 models.

Agreed, but until then, nVidia will be profiting as much as they can from ATI's silent regard their DX10 line.

On a side note, ATI is really missing up by not making any official announcements on their DX10 line of products. Meanwhile nvidia is stealing the show with the 8800GTX and GTS.

Given AMD are now in control of ATI, 2 things are probably happening:
ATI is probably going through the hell of restructuring and staff reductions, which has a negative impact on the new card as the key developers are either gone or at least not as focussed on the new card as they would otherwise be. The upside is (depending on how much AMD gives them) they may have a lot more tech. resources available, and if so are probably reworking their new card to make sure it kills the G80 on benchmarks, so that means the new card will either be totally crap or really outstanding, but it won't be average for sure.

If DAMMIT (ATI/AMD) again get caught with their pants down like they were with core 2, they're gonna find it increasingly hard to stick around. It won't happen though because this time they'll be able to buy a G80 to play with for a couple of months first to see what they're up against and make sure their new card is faster on benchmarks + they have a LOT of incentive to make a killer card.

In the CPU market they are already down to selling high-end product to the fanbois who will spend premium money on yesterday's tech just because its got an AMD sticker. And If the new ATI GPU's also go the same way ATI/AMD will really feel the pain in a "can we continue to exist" sort of way.

That would be bad for everyone because its only ATI/AMD that are driving Intel and nVidia so hard, and vice-versa.

If DAMMIT (ATI/AMD) again get caught with their pants down like they were with core 2, they're gonna find it increasingly hard to stick around. It won't happen though because this time they'll be able to buy a G80 to play with for a couple of months first to see what they're up against and make sure their new card is faster on benchmarks + they have a LOT of incentive to make a killer card.

In the CPU market they are already down to selling high-end product to the fanbois who will spend premium money on yesterday's tech just because its got an AMD sticker. And If the new ATI GPU's also go the same way ATI/AMD will really feel the pain in a "can we continue to exist" sort of way.
Thats pushing it a bit dont you think...after all what about when A64 came out(was intel caught with their pants down? for 2+ years?)....as for just selling high end parts....its always been the value systems that amd sells the most(lots if 3000's and later X2 3800's. not that those are bad....they just sell more value to mid end than high end.....just like Intel)....well that and server cpu's

It's all leap frog....

@ topic

The low end cards may drop in price....but the high end will stay for some time.....kind of like how the P4EE's(and the AMD FX's....but not as high....) are still expensive.... but most others are cheap now....

As mentioned above....it will be a while for DX10(at least enough to justify the new card's price) games to hit the market.....It was the same when DX9 came out.....

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
don't think its a good idea to get a dx10 card until dx10 for xp comes out also vista when it does come out (i reckon) will be buggy as hell for a year after!

If I read corectly there won't be any support for DirextX10 in XP...
Aybody else hear about that?

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
If I read corectly there won't be any support for DirextX10 in XP...
Aybody else hear about that?

That's a confirmed fact. DX10 implies Vista.

There will be a DirectX 9.0L, but I didn't understand if it will be for XP or for Vista. Anyhow it doesn't make sense for MS to continue the development of DX9 after DX10 is released. There's a topic around about this.

DX 9.0L is for Vista. XP will not get DX10 support. This is how Mircosoft will force OS migration/acceptance to Vista.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
The X1650XT from what I've seen is well over $150 bucks through Froogle. Newegg doesn't carry it yet. Zipzoomfly has it for $199.

Considering the X1950Pro is $199 and around twice as good as the X1650XT, why someone would get this card over the X1950Pro is beyond me.

At least the 7600GT can be had for around $120 after MIR which makes it reasonable for it's performance.

randomizer

Champion
The low end cards may drop in price....but the high end will stay for some time.....kind of like how the P4EE's(and the AMD FX's....but not as high....) are still expensive.... but most others are cheap now....
I'm hoping the mid-range cards dop a bit, like the 7600gt and x1900gt so I can grab one.

randomizer

Champion
Just another question to put forward, I dont care if its already been asked. When do you think games will be purely dx10? Or rather, when will a dx9 card not be able to play a game not because its slow, but because it simply has no hardware support for it. I mean, you can still use dx7 and 8 cards to play dx9 games at the moment, and dx9 is quite mature now. Will the same thing happen with dx10, or will game developers force us all to upgrade?