Sign in with
Your question

Looking for good soundcard for music

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2006 5:27:58 AM

I recently acquired some excellent looking speakers that I would like to put to good use (no clue what they are but are each about as big as a mid-full tower PC case!).

I have decided that these speakers are probably worth an upgrade from all of the junk that I have now and am considering buying a new retail boxed soundcard for the first time. Being the first time I spend any real money, I would really appreciate some recommendations.

I am looking for:
- Linux support without much hassle (in major distributions)
- Good sound quality for lossless music
- Green, black and yellow analog outputs
- $40 or less

I don't care for:
- Game sound enhancement

Thanks.

More about : good soundcard music

October 30, 2006 6:48:57 AM

hi.
i think now almost for every new card you can find drivers for linux.
but i that rate of moeny and with all qualities you want it would be difficult.
Related resources
October 30, 2006 12:31:31 PM

I think the M-Audio audiophile 2496 would be the perfect card for you. Maybe a little over your budget but you won't get a better sound for the price.
October 30, 2006 3:29:18 PM

Quote:
I recently acquired some excellent looking speakers that I would like to put to good use (no clue what they are but are each about as big as a mid-full tower PC case!).

I have decided that these speakers are probably worth an upgrade from all of the junk that I have now and am considering buying a new retail boxed soundcard for the first time. Being the first time I spend any real money, I would really appreciate some recommendations.

I am looking for:
- Linux support without much hassle (in major distributions)
- Good sound quality for lossless music
- Green, black and yellow analog outputs
- $40 or less

I don't care for:
- Game sound enhancement

Thanks.

Consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... @ $29

...and Turtle Beach's website lists Linux drivers for this card:

http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/587.asp#driv...
October 30, 2006 11:49:16 PM

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm off to do a little research, but at this point it looks like the Audiophile is out. It's definitely a nice card but clearly over my budget at $130 and there are many features that I probably won't use. I appreciate the recommendation though.
!