Good Grief Charlie Brown

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
what is for sale Neopets related.

Cannot believe this one -

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480

- and still 12 hours to go!

Now this is funny. Or pathetic. Can't make up my mind.

"Les" > wrote> I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a

"A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Now this is funny. Or pathetic. Can't make up my mind.

the scary part is that this guy has a decent rating selling individual cards
and people are going to trust where no trust has been earned.

Sorry, I am not too much into neoitems... what am I missing??

"Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
> what is for sale Neopets related.
>
> Cannot believe this one -
>
> cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480
>
> - and still 12 hours to go!

I like these:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7306586089&rd=1

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:26:28 -0000, Les <les789@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
>what is for sale Neopets related.
>
>Cannot believe this one -
>
>cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480

Winning bid of 41 pounds...cheaper than buying the stupid-assed cards.
LOL!
--
Ray Newman
ray@spankaroonietwounderpants.com

"bodcat1" <> wrote ...
> Sorry, I am not too much into neoitems... what am I missing??

Rare item codes - code numbers from real-life items that you can enter st
the Grundo Warehouse on the Space Station to receive rare Neopets items.
When, to buy a real Starry Scorchio plushie, I braved the hoards of tweenage
girls who flock together at Limited Too, I got two cards for rare item codes
because the cashier was trying to dump some extras they had.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

bodcat1 [bodcat1@yourunderpantsshaw.ca] said

> "Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
> > what is for sale Neopets related.
> >
> > Cannot believe this one -
> >
> > cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480
> >
> > - and still 12 hours to go!
> >

> Sorry, I am not too much into neoitems... what am I missing??

They are selling virtual codes - ie, items and nps.

Les wrote:

> Cannot believe this one -
>
> cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480
>
> - and still 12 hours to go!

When that auction runs out there are 30 more prize code auctions for
sale on eBay/U.S.A.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

A. M. Hawk Widner [amhwidner@insightbb.com] said
> "bodcat1" <> wrote ...
> > Sorry, I am not too much into neoitems... what am I missing??
> >
> Rare item codes - code numbers from real-life items that you can enter st
> the Grundo Warehouse on the Space Station to receive rare Neopets items.
> When, to buy a real Starry Scorchio plushie,

You little softy. :)

> I braved the hoards of tweenage
> girls who flock together at Limited Too, I got two cards for rare item codes
> because the cashier was trying to dump some extras they had.

Indeed - especially considering how much herds, or gaggles, or whatever
groups like that are called, of youthful persons frighten me. I have
acheived the age of 40 - nearly 41 - without reproducing. Lack of
familiarity with children makes them all rather intimidating to me - and
when they are of that age when they are in process of becoming something
other than children they are downright terrifying. Add to that society's
paranoia about men of my age going into establishments frequented by
pubescent girls, and I would call my efforts to obtain a starry scorchio
plushie downright heroic.

"Les" <> wrote > A

> You little softy. :)

I have bought many neopet items from a local limited too. I have been lucky
that only once or twice there were lil groups of "humanity" in the store.

When I go into any of them to ask if they have rare item codes, though, they
look at me like I have two heads.

> Indeed - especially considering how much herds, or gaggles, or whatever
> groups like that are called, of youthful persons frighten me. I have
> acheived the age of 40 - nearly 41 - without reproducing. Lack of
> familiarity with children makes them all rather intimidating to me - and
> when they are of that age when they are in process of becoming something
> other than children they are downright terrifying. Add to that society's
> paranoia about men of my age going into establishments frequented by
> pubescent girls, and I would call my efforts to obtain a starry scorchio
> plushie downright heroic.
>
> "Les" <> wrote > A
> > > >
> > You little softy. :)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:37:35 GMT, "A. M. Hawk Widner"
<amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Indeed - especially considering how much herds, or gaggles, or whatever
>groups like that are called, of youthful persons frighten me. I have
>acheived the age of 40 - nearly 41 - without reproducing. Lack of
>familiarity with children makes them all rather intimidating to me - and
>when they are of that age when they are in process of becoming something
>other than children they are downright terrifying. Add to that society's
>paranoia about men of my age going into establishments frequented by
>pubescent girls, and I would call my efforts to obtain a starry scorchio
>plushie downright heroic.

As someone only 4 years your junior, I heartily echo your sentiments.
Limited Too is one hella scary place!
--

Ray Newman wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:37:35 GMT, "A. M. Hawk Widner"
> <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>Indeed - especially considering how much herds, or gaggles, or whatever
>>groups like that are called, of youthful persons frighten me. I have
>>acheived the age of 40 - nearly 41 - without reproducing. Lack of
>>familiarity with children makes them all rather intimidating to me - and
>>when they are of that age when they are in process of becoming something
>>other than children they are downright terrifying. Add to that society's
>>paranoia about men of my age going into establishments frequented by
>>pubescent girls, and I would call my efforts to obtain a starry scorchio
>>plushie downright heroic.
>
> As someone only 4 years your junior, I heartily echo your sentiments.
> Limited Too is one hella scary place!

I'm only 25, and Limited Too scares me sometimes. The
alternative for me would be paying 3x retail for plushies on
ebay, so I don't complain -too- much...

"Dreamstalker" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ray Newman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:37:35 GMT, "A. M. Hawk Widner"
>> <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Indeed - especially considering how much herds, or gaggles, or whatever
>>>groups like that are called, of youthful persons frighten me. I have
>>>acheived the age of 40 - nearly 41 - without reproducing. Lack of
>>>familiarity with children makes them all rather intimidating to me - and
>>>when they are of that age when they are in process of becoming something
>>>other than children they are downright terrifying. Add to that society's
>>>paranoia about men of my age going into establishments frequented by
>>>pubescent girls, and I would call my efforts to obtain a starry scorchio
>>>plushie downright heroic.
>>
>> As someone only 4 years your junior, I heartily echo your sentiments.
>> Limited Too is one hella scary place!
>
> I'm only 25, and Limited Too scares me sometimes. The alternative for me
> would be paying 3x retail for plushies on ebay, so I don't complain -too-
> much...

i'm 25 as well... the first thing i always say is "i must look pretty
strange in here" and they usually say "well you could be buying something
for your niece" lol it breaks the tension.... limited too... i don't even
fit past the clothes racks in that place and they are always moving the
neopets section so i literaly have to browse every time...

"Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
> what is for sale Neopets related.
>
> Cannot believe this one -
>
> cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480
>
> - and still 12 hours to go!

*coughsputter* what is wrong with selling the item codes?

:) I happen to do that y'know.

Clo-who-happens-to-have-a-lot-of-50-and-10-up-at-this-very-moment!

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Clotho [nospam@nospam.com] said

> "Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a bit of an ebay addict and was just having a bit of a nose round
> > what is for sale Neopets related.
> >
> > Cannot believe this one -
> >
> > cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6160492480
> >
> > - and still 12 hours to go!
> >

> *coughsputter* what is wrong with selling the item codes?

Never said there was anything wrong with it, I was just astonished that
there were peeps prepared to pay 41 quid for a few neopoints and some
items.

41 quid!

> :) I happen to do that y'know.
>

> Clo-who-happens-to-have-a-lot-of-50-and-10-up-at-this-very-moment!

"Clotho" <> wrote >
> *coughsputter* what is wrong with selling the item codes?
>
> :) I happen to do that y'know.

Oh, I know I see nothing wrong with it - I am more amused by the notion of
people actually bidding on something whose only purpose is to acquire things
otherwise hard to acquire - in an online game. It just - tickles me. I
checked the currency exchange - the bid at the time this was posted was
right around $20 US - a bit less than 2 hours of my pay. I have spent $20 on
frivolous things before, even much more than that. I easily spent once that
much FedExing a little Beanie Baby dragon to a convention of Jethro Tull
fans, so he could get autographs of the band and be present at an event I
couldn't afford to attend in person. But still - that $20 rare item code is
a real life item gets you a random item that is completely useless outside
the context of the game. It's just - funny. :D

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:54:59 GMT, "A. M. Hawk Widner"
<amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote:

>I easily spent once that
>much FedExing a little Beanie Baby dragon to a convention of Jethro Tull
>fans, so he could get autographs of the band and be present at an event I
>couldn't afford to attend in person.

Weirdest. Confession. Ever.
--
Ray Newman
ray@spankaroonietwounderpants.com
(remove underpants to reply)
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=goofyspouse

> Never said there was anything wrong with it, I was just astonished that
> there were peeps prepared to pay 41 quid for a few neopoints and some
> items.
>
> 41 quid!

I would believe it :)

Personally, I can understand. People want to get ahead, buy (or win) the
newest Pbs, bd items, etc.

When you think about how much time you've invested *playing* neopets vs how
much they are actually paying per card..

They say time is money, in this case, the buyers could be on the right
track.

So far I've spent 3640 hours playing neopets.

Thats roughly averaging 2 hours a day (a bit in the am, and pm) every day
for nearly five years

Now, if you put my hourly rate to it..

Thats £54,600 I could have earned in real money instead of neopetting.

Just a thought.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Clotho [nospam@nospam.com] said

> > Never said there was anything wrong with it, I was just astonished that
> > there were peeps prepared to pay 41 quid for a few neopoints and some
> > items.
> >
> > 41 quid!
>

> I would believe it :)
>
> Personally, I can understand. People want to get ahead, buy (or win) the
> newest Pbs, bd items, etc.
>
> When you think about how much time you've invested *playing* neopets vs how
> much they are actually paying per card..
>
> They say time is money, in this case, the buyers could be on the right
> track.
>
> So far I've spent 3640 hours playing neopets.
>
> Thats roughly averaging 2 hours a day (a bit in the am, and pm) every day
> for nearly five years
>
> Now, if you put my hourly rate to it..
>
> Thats £54,600 I could have earned in real money instead of neopetting.
>
> Just a thought.

Personally, I play neopets, watch TV and potter about generally, in my
freetime, therefore that time has no monetary value but is of course
priceless to me. :)

I have heard this argument before about all time being worth money, but
my view is that it is only worth money if you turned down paying work to
spend your time how you did.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

A. M. Hawk Widner [amhwidner@insightbb.com] said
> "Clotho" <> wrote >
> > *coughsputter* what is wrong with selling the item codes?
> >
> > :) I happen to do that y'know.
> >
> Oh, I know I see nothing wrong with it - I am more amused by the notion of
> people actually bidding on something whose only purpose is to acquire things
> otherwise hard to acquire - in an online game. It just - tickles me. I
> checked the currency exchange - the bid at the time this was posted was
> right around $20 US -

There are more dollars to the pound than pounds to the dollar so I think
you may have done that conversion backwards.

£41 is actually just a bit short of $80.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:44:03 -0000, Les <les789@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A. M. Hawk Widner [amhwidner@insightbb.com] said
>> "Clotho" <> wrote >
>> > *coughsputter* what is wrong with selling the item codes?
>> >
>> > :) I happen to do that y'know.
>> >
>> Oh, I know I see nothing wrong with it - I am more amused by the notion of
>> people actually bidding on something whose only purpose is to acquire things
>> otherwise hard to acquire - in an online game. It just - tickles me. I
>> checked the currency exchange - the bid at the time this was posted was
>> right around $20 US -
>
>There are more dollars to the pound than pounds to the dollar so I think
>you may have done that conversion backwards.
>
>£41 is actually just a bit short of $80.

Or conversely, the bid may have actually been at £10 when he posted...
--

Ray Newman [ray_newman@hotmailunderpants.com] said

> >There are more dollars to the pound than pounds to the dollar so I think
> >you may have done that conversion backwards.
> >
> >£41 is actually just a bit short of $80.
>
> Or conversely, the bid may have actually been at £10 when he posted...

I was the OP and it was at £41 when I posted the link. :p