Final thoughts of system before purchase

hairyhaggis

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
All right folks. Going to upgrade my prehistoric machine, as it stands my rig is as follows: (please don’t laugh)
Athlon 1800+ (o/c 2000+)
Jetway V266B Mobo
1Gig SDRAM133
Radeon 7000 AGP Graphics gard
Hyper 500w PSU
Generic Case (Heavily modded)
2 * DvD Writers
2 * 160Gig IDE H/D

As you can tell I am not into gaming what so ever, and so don’t require a fantastic g/c I use my rig mainly for video encoding, programming and general photo editing. My wife has allocated my the grand sum of £400 to upgrade my system. Here is what I have came up with. I have

Core2Duo E6400 or E6300 (going to o/c)
1Gig Crossair TwinX 800Mhz
250Gig Hd Samsung Spin point or Seagate Barracuda
Abit AB9 or Gigabyte DS4 Mobo
Very cheap g/c around £30

What do you guys think of the above system? Which components would you change. I am hoping to order from Scan.co.uk (Live in Scotland) latter on today. I am going to over clock the system for best performance so I am looking for best bang per buck bear in mind the rather small budget. I know that the AB9 mobo is a great o/c but what is the general feeling about the DS4? The chipset cooling on the DS4 looks more beefy.
Thanks in advance.

hairyhaggis

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I was going to o/c on the stock HSF that is supplied with the cpu. I have read many times on these forums that other users have done so with a lot of success.

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I was going to o/c on the stock HSF that is supplied with the cpu. I have read many times on these forums that other users have done so with a lot of success.

if your going to overclock even if its possile on the stock cooler dont take any chance and get the artic cool pro 7 imo. Its pretty cheap and very nice. alot of ppl were recommending it and im very glad I followed their advice. it was like 22$ canadian, not sure how much Euro is that but anyway get that. rest look fine btw, id probably get the DS4