Restore/Repair Damaged Program Associations?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several extensions
with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says "(NONE)."
These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.

Some examples:
<icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
<icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
<icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol

Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create an
association in the Folder Options control panel."

How do I restore or repair these associations?

Thanks,

--
Richard..

Note: Do not reply via email. The account "deadend.com" is just that.
5 answers Last reply
More about restore repair damaged program associations
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What extensions? An example;

    From a command prompt;
    assoc .url
    should return with
    ..url=InternetShortcut
    If not
    assoc .url=InternetShortcut
    to restore the file type association.

    ftype internetshortcut
    should return with
    internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    If not
    ftype internetshortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    to restore the default "Open" action.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Richard Billingsley" wrote:
    | Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
    | open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several extensions
    | with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says
    "(NONE)."
    | These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.
    |
    | Some examples:
    | <icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
    | <icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    | <icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol
    |
    | Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
    | not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create
    an
    | association in the Folder Options control panel."
    |
    | How do I restore or repair these associations?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |

    | --
    | Richard..
    |
    | Note: Do not reply via email. The account "deadend.com" is just that.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I have also attempted to do a system rollback to the previous day, but this
    didn't fix anything.

    "Richard Billingsley" <richard@deadend.com> wrote in message
    > Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
    > open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several extensions
    > with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says
    > "(NONE)."
    > These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.
    >
    > Some examples:
    > <icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
    > <icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    > <icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol
    >
    > Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
    > not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create
    > an
    > association in the Folder Options control panel."
    >
    > How do I restore or repair these associations?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Richard..
    >
    > Note: Do not reply via email. The account "deadend.com" is just that.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:29:29 -0600, Richard Billingsley wrote:

    > Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
    > open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several extensions
    > with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says "(NONE)."
    > These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.
    >
    > Some examples:
    > <icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
    > <icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    > <icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol
    >
    > Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
    > not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create an
    > association in the Folder Options control panel."
    >
    > How do I restore or repair these associations?
    >
    > Thanks,

    There is nothing to fix. This is normal for several "file types" including
    the ones that you have listed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:29:29 -0600, Richard Billingsley wrote:
    >
    > > Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
    > > open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several extensions
    > > with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says "(NONE)."
    > > These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.
    > >
    > > Some examples:
    > > <icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
    > > <icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    > > <icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol
    > >
    > > Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
    > > not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create an
    > > association in the Folder Options control panel."
    > >
    > > How do I restore or repair these associations?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    >
    > There is nothing to fix. This is normal for several "file types" including
    > the ones that you have listed.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I agree with Sharon. I have 29 such files showing in my Folder Options,
    File Types.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you have powertoys for XP installed, it has a file association repair
    option. Try downloading it and installing it. It seems to be the easiest way
    to fix them all at once.

    >I have also attempted to do a system rollback to the previous day, but this
    >didn't fix anything.
    >

    > "Richard Billingsley" <richard@deadend.com> wrote in message
    >> Something happened to several of the system program associations. When I
    >> open the File Types tab in the Folder Options there are several
    >> extensions
    >> with an icon, but no extension. Instead of the extension is says
    >> "(NONE)."
    >> These are the system extensions that cannot be deleted.
    >>
    >> Some examples:
    >> <icon> (NONE) Audio CD Playback
    >> <icon> (NONE) Internet Shortcut
    >> <icon> (NONE) URL:LDAP Protocol
    >>
    >> Things like URL Links are not working and give the error: "This file does
    >> not have a program associated with if for performing this action. Create
    >> an
    >> association in the Folder Options control panel."
    >>
    >> How do I restore or repair these associations?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Richard..
    >>
    >> Note: Do not reply via email. The account "deadend.com" is just that.

Microsoft Extension Windows XP