Second Take: The PC Gaming Slump

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbinDallas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I think the constant hardware upgrades has driven most PC gamers to consoles. I'm talking about the casual PC gamers, not hardcore guys like myself. My friends and I used to have LAN parties all the time with our PC's. Now everyone plays on a console at home. Their biggest complaint is the constant hardware upgrading for a PC and all the headaches of compatibilty.

Personally, the price of games has made me think twice about a purchase, especially when I plunked down the big coin for Quakewars:Enemy Territory and was severely disappointed.

I would be curious what the sales numbers are with the online services like Steam. I think they are more significant than you think. I really don't buy anything unless it's on Steam now. It's just too convenient.

Ben

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
What the hell!!? What's with the three camera angles?

This is a conversation between two people. Eliminating the gestures and body language of the non-speaker makes for much less fulfilling viewing.

Please go back to the single camera view showing both Ben and Rob in the one shot.

andrazz90

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
in my opinion y pc games are being pirated? ile tell u y , in america a game costs as much as half as they are sold in europe , here they are sold around 60-100$ per title, and does a kid (13-20) afford games that are that expensive? they already had to save up for their pc ( bdw a 8800gt is being sold for 400$ minimum in my country , malta).
it has to become the game publisher's responsability to sell games at a reasonable priceWORLDWIDE, 100$ is quite a lot!

daskobold

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Doesn't this happen every few years around the time the new console releases? Everyone starts proclaiming the death of PC gaming because everyone is in love with the new consoles and their PC like graphics.

There are some disturbing trends like the console to PC port thing, shouldn't it be the other way around. The rise of console online multiplayer gaming, which had previously been a strong point of PC gaming (though online PC gaming is still free and that's the way it should stay).

Game mods and custom maps are one of the reasons I still buy PC games over console games when multi format versions are released but we are starting to see those for games like U3 for the PS3 now.

One of the last bastions of PC gaming that the consoles have not really leeched is the mouse and keyboard, except U3 which does support it. If you could use a mouse and keyboard to play FPS games on the console then I might even stray to the dark side. A mouse and keyboard is also the only real way to play strategy games.

Hopefully we will have an upswing in PC gaming this year with some of the big title releases and the newness factor wearing off of the consoles. ATI and NVidia have finally started to realise that not everyone wants to spend $600 on a new video card every couple of years and have started releasing really nice cards like the ATI 3870 and Nvidia 8800gt for around the $200 price mark, which unfortunately is still close to what a console costs.

dogman-x

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I think people want to play games on a really big screen. If a PCs had really big screens, people would play more PC games.

I also think people would like to see their digital camera pictures on a really big screen. Same thing with Netflix Instant Videos online.

We need a good living room PC solution. In my mind, this means:
1) HDMI / HDCP video connections
2) S/PDIF audio connections with Dolby Digital Live encoding hardware
3) a 17" wide case that easily stacks with your receiver or DVD player
4) heat and noise that are not noticeable
5) a price that's only $200 more than a gaming console
6) graphics and video quality that's noticeably better than a gaming console
7) takes about the same amount of time as a gaming console to boot

If someone made a PC like that, then PC games sales might be resurrected.

tommyNL

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well, i think it's not so strange that the console is getting all the attention.

It's like windows came to the PC. It was easier to use (instead of linux or dos) and it worked. now people(most likely kids and there parants) dont want to spend much money on a game PC. Kids don't have much money and they look and say" woow you got a PS3 or Xbox 360" but i've never heard a kid say "woow you got a Nvidia 8800 Ultra" or anything like that.
Also, A game PC needs to be upgraded so it can play the latest games, a console will play all the games that comes out.
So why buy a game PC when a console is easier and cheaper. The only thing is that console games are more expensive then PC games.
Although the Game PC has better graphics, Kids dont really care.

So i would not be surprised if in 10 years the game PC will be gone.

Just for the record: I don't have a console, i got a game PC.

impar

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Greetings!

Ben and Ron, you are approaching the probem from the wrong angle.

Its not that the PC games are not getting played or that there is a shift from PC to consoles, its that the PC games are getting pirated in massive numbers.

Go and check the torrent sites that display the number of downloads of the torrent file.

Just for one version of CoD4 PC managed, from several torrent sites, to add 536.672 torrent downloads, to these one would need to add other versions, the downloads from the torrent sites that dont display the number of downloads and other sources of piracy.

PS: Before commenting this post, please check for yourselves.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I'd agree with impar. PC games are constantly going to have to battle piracy. It wasn't that long ago, in college, that I was downloading nearly every title that I played. Pirating games was cheap, fast and (sadly) really easy.

Also, for the vast majority of pirated games, who cares if you don't get online support. Games line Cane and Lynch and even Crysis - the multiplayer aspect isn't the draw. So for any kid in college or with a decent download speed, pirating a free game to play the SP experience is worth losing subpar multiplayer.

I know that I'm going to get flamed for this but PC games *NEED* to beef up their security measures against piracy. Bioshock got in a lot of trouble about their measures but maybe they were heading in the right direction. If every PC game was as secure as console games I think we'd see significant sale improvements.

Just a thought, what if every PC game needed to be verified via internet connection before it could be played. The age of PCs without internet is over and it'd make hacking the game all that much harder.

Another big thing to consider is that while kids here in America download there games for free much of the rest of the world relies on pirated burned copies that they can purchase (on the streets) for just a few bucks. PC games are making pirates rich overseas and hurting sales here at home. I can attest to the fact that any-where overseas you can find a pirated version of ANY game far easier than you can purchase it legally. The entire distribution system is unfortunately built to hurt sales.

ds367

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am a casual gamer with a console and a high end pc that i just built. I have lots of friends that come over regularly to play games. It is so much easier to play on my console than to play on a computer. It is much less expensive too. The online capabilities are better in my opinion as well.

Until PCs make hooking the computer and tv together easier and less expensive, without losing graphics. Consoles will win.
My rig cost 2500 to build, my tv and xbox cost 1200. Until the prices are similer consoles will win.
Until piracy is more difficult consoles will win.

The biggest point that has been overlooked by all has been that console games can be resold and bought used. PC games can only be bought for full price or pirated.
Many games suck, and no one wants to pay full price for a sucky game. To try out a low rated game you have to rent or pirate.

In the end computers will win. One day computers and tv will be together as one. Computers will replace the dvd player, dvr, and console. Technology just has not cought up.

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
In the end computers will win. One day computers and tv will be together as one. Computers will replace the dvd player, dvr, and console. Technology just has not cought up.

I tend to agree with you about ds367 although I think Sony and Microsoft are trying to make their consoles into the branded all in one entertainment "computers" of the future.

-Ben

Chazwuzzer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
1. I think that WoW and other MMOs are killing sales of a lot of other PC titles. Those games eat up huge, HUGE amounts of gaming time. When I was playing Lineage II, it was to the exclusion of almost any other games. I let a friend of mine that is a big WoW player borrow a few good titles and he has not touched them (or any other PC games) in over nine months.

2. Have PC game sales ever been in the league that Console titles are going at now? Did PC titles ever come out selling millions of copies? I know there were a handful, but what were avergae numbers like? It seems that maybe PC game sales look poor in comparison to the sales in an entirely separate, exploding market for what is essentially a different type of product. I could, of course, be totally wrong here.

3. Piracy is not a percentage sales problem - it is a massive geometric amplification sales problem. I am quite sure that for many titles, there a many, many more pirated copies in the hands of PC gamers than were legitimately purchased. And it is a thousand times worse in foreign markets.

4. I don't buy the upgrade costs argument - I've seen how much it actually costs to purchase a console, its gizmos and titles. I just figure that the big developers are playing to the lowest common denominator and you can push some rather crappy games on those masses at $55 and still sell a couple of million copies.

5. Its not getting any smarter out there. A certain amount of technical sophistication is required to maintain a semi-decent PC and that sophistication is getting shipped overseas. Personally, I think this is a bad trend.

An edit in reply to Ben's post above - I could not agree more. I've been advancing this idea for a long time now - the next "next gen" consoles will be Microsoft and Sony computers - entirely proprietary. Of course, I did not have to be a psychic to make this prediction - Microsoft and Sony long ago announced their plans to do just this.

This is, of course, a terrible development.....

Ineffigy

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Supreme Commander sold way over a million copies in 2007. You didn't even mention it. :)

In addition, console games are just as pirated as PC games. PC pirated games are easier to install though, you don't have to burn an image to a DVD.

My DVD player, DVR and media center is already a computer. :)

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Like the majority of console gamers, you sir, are uninformed. What makes you think you can't hook a PC up to a big screen any easier than a console can be hooked up? Many HDTVs have vga inputs and some video cards even have HDMI outs. All video cards have a DVI out which you can use a DVI to HDMI cable (buy it for six bucks online) to output crystal clear graphics to an HDTV. Too many people seem to associate console games with HDTV's as if they were package deals. Sorry, but if you want to include an HDTV, you gotta spend an extra thousand bucks in addition to the 300-400 dollar console. All an HDTV is, is an oversized LCD monitor that generally doesn't support as high of resolutions. So yea.. This argument doesn't hold since you can use a TV for PC gaming.

I'd also like to address your points.

1) I already have one of these. A decent HTPC costs less than the PS3 when it first came out. Yes, it supports HDCP and I have an HDMI to DVI cable hooking it up to an HDTV.
2) There are a TON of motherboards with optical/coax spdif output built in. Get on of these and stick it in your htpc.
3) There are a TON of cases that fit this criteria. You can either buy a pre-built one or build your own. I use an Antec Fusion and it blends in perfectly with the entertainment center. I always get comments like "That's a computer?" because most just think its part of the entertainment center.
4) My HTPC is dead silent. This depends a lot on the components you get. If you get a good case, a good PSU, and an aftermarket cooler then a silent setup is easy to obtain.
5) Here's a quick PC build.
$150 - HTPC Case (the Antec fusion includes a psu that is sufficient for this rig)
$100 - CPU
$160 - ATI 3850
$60 - mATX mobo with spdif
$60 - 250 gig HD
$30 - 2 gigs of ram
$30 - DVD Burner
$20 - Keyboard & mouse

$610 - Total With an exception of the Wii, I'd say this fits within the 200 dollar range of consoles. I could have put in cheaper components, but I was going for something that could exceed the performance of a console, which this does. This setup includes a faster CPU, a superior video card, larger HD, DVD burner, and a machine that does far more than any console.

Its hard for me to include an OS cost in this setup as I have three copies of XP pro, 1 copy of Vista ultimate, and 1 copy of Vista enterprise lying around. I never paid more than 20 dollars for any of these (most were free) either through 80 percent discounts from friends working at MS, MSDNAA, or the customer feedback program through Microsoft where they gave me a free copy of vista ultimate. A lot of people have retail copies lying around from old machines that have been discarded as well.

6) Even with a mediocre system like the one I put together, its still gonna have superior graphics to a console. If you wanted to spend a few hundred dollars more, you could put together quite a nice system that would kick the trash out of any console.
7) Not much you can do about startup time. Keep in mind this is still only about 30 seconds. But also remember that startup is a one time thing for PCs. Once its up you can leave it running for days if you'd like. If you are worried about power then let the thing go in standby which it only takes 5-10 seconds to come out of. I wouldn't consider startup to be a significant drawback of PCs as its not much time we are talking about.

In summary, all of your criteria are already met for PCs. What it comes down to is the world is filled with noob console gamers who think its difficult to insert a cd into the drive and make a few mouse clicks to install a game. Consoles are doing well because with each generation, kids are getting dumber. Kids are also extremely lazy these days.

Shez: You are wrong. If they increased the security measures on PC games, they would kill off PC gaming entirely. The majority of the PC games I buy are ones that I've downloaded and played first. Once I decide I like the title, I go out and buy it. Sometimes even a few months later. I would guess that Crysis and CoD4 will see a pickup of sales throughout 2008 as people upgrade their PCs and people who have downloaded and played the games decide they are worth it to buy. I can honestly say that I would have never bought titles like CoD4 if I hadn't downloaded and played it first. It wasn't til I played it that I realize its worth and went out and bought it.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Are you sure about Supreme Commander? I searched for official numbers on that game but couldn't find any. But after checking the sales charts last spring, I saw that it dropped out of the top 10 after about a month.

As for piracy, I've gone on rants before, so I'll try to keep it short: I agree with Impar and Shez. Look, I was as upset as anybody with BioShock's DRM (well, maybe not as pissed as Ben Sengokou -- I didn't bash the game with a hammer, after all). But here's the thing: people steal software all the time. And some PC gamers, sadly, think it's their Web-given right to download torrents of CoD4, BioShock, and others without every paying a dime. And it pisses me off. Why? Because they're ruining things for the rest of us; their theft will only lead to more excessive DRM for honest customers. And worse, it hurts the PC gaming business and scares off developers. Can you blame studios that want to bypass the PC audience when they look at how an Xbox 360 version is doing compared to a PC version? The numbers just aren't there for a lot of games. And yes, piracy does happen on the consoles -- look at Halo 3 -- but I'm not sure I'd go so far to say it happens with as much frequency as PC games. And that's probably because of the audience: console gamers are largerly plug-and-play types with less technical savvy than PC gamers.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Not to sound like a corporate lacky but...Winkgood, isn't this what PC game demos are for? I take you at your word, sir, and trust that you do in fact pay for games that you've downloaded for free. But I've state this before and I'll continue to state it: I think gamers such as yourself that use a personal honor code are in the minority out there, maybe even the vast minority. And anyone who thinks otherwise is living in Cindarella's castle, quite frankly.

marclane773

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I used to be a pc only gamer but i got really p***ed off with having to up grade so often my mate bought a pc for 2 grand a year and a half ago and ps3 and 360 graphics have allready near on caught up pc. grapics have allways been superior to consoles but they are catching up real fast and when the price diference is nearly £1500 i can no longer see the point in up grading so i bought a 360 last year instead of getting a new gfx card and mainboard because obviously my 2 year old motherboard was no longer compatable with new cards. and i really dont regret it the only games i play on pc now are rts because the keyboard and mouse is the only way but as soon as microsoft make them compatable with games (which i cant see being to much longer as you can already use a usb keyboard to type) I am sad to say my beatup old grey box will be confined to doing the thing it does best now downloading films and music.

Chazwuzzer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I'm totally with Rob and Shez and co. on the anti-piracy measures. As a legit buyer, I have never had any ethical issues with those measures. Further, as a legit buyer, I've never encountered any technical problems either, although I'm probbaly a little more sophisticated than the average PC user.

I also agree with Rob about the download first, then buy arguments. Come on - am I supposed to believe that any appreciable percentage of the people D/Ling games are then going out and legitimately purchasing them? If you only need to get a feel for whether the game will be worthwhile, then D/L the demo.

I despise big corporations as much as anyone, but there is no excuse for the mass stealing of software that people seem to think is acceptable these days.

DarkPheonix

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I think that there's a multitude of factors that surround the current slump:

1) Yes, piracy does steal some sales away but not all of them. There is definitely a lot of media (not just games) that I go and pirate because I can't afford to go out and buy all of that media - for me, its either a pirate or not seeing/hearing/playing it at all.
How do you combat piracy?
a) It's generally more secure DRM for games - BioShock being the prime example. I went out and bought BioShock because I was pretty psyched about the game and nobody had a crack out for it around release. Week later, crack was out, but game's security did it's job in getting me to actually buy the game. There were other games I bought that had secure DRM in them as well, they've been hacked by now but the system was immature - the activation programs for Flight Simulator X and Halo 2 Vista - quite similar to activating a copy of Windows, using the same MS system, this is essentially what BioShock did and would work too.
b) Provide online incentives for people. If the game is done properly in this day and age no cracked game should be playable online (except for cracked servers) - all that you need to do is authenticate valid (not cracked) client CD-keys and make sure that all servers contact a central database - make it much harder for people to get to cracked servers. Besides that, make sure that people actually want to play the game online - main reason number 1 why COD4 was a launch day purchase for me. This is in part why MMO's are getting more popular with developers - it's almost impossible to pirate a game like WoW because of the need for accounts to be authenticated, besides the monthly stream of player revenue. This can also be something like DLC (and, in turn, making sure that the DLC isn't pirated - associate DLC with relevant accounts). Best non-MMO game in recent memory to do these concepts right was Battlefield 2/2142.
c) Release free, very heavily ad-supported versions of the game alongside. I'm not talking about the kind of ad-support that was in the free version of Far Cry that was released a couple months ago - there were no ads right in the game, only in the loading screen, and what there was was EXTREMELY annoying. Developers would have to integrate the ads right into the game in a visual-only, non-obtrusive way - think, for example, in GTA all the shops would be real-life shops, food stores would be McDonalds, etc. If Burnout Paradise were to come to the PC, instead of "auto-repair shops" they would be "Michelin shops" or something like that. People will download an ad-supported version over a cracked version if it means they don't have to deal with cracked servers and the like and the ads are not that obtrusive.

2) The cost. For the average consumer, it's simple - it's either $1500 for a mainstream desktop gaming PC or $400 for a console. But it's not just that - its also the relative cost of games. Used to be, you spent $40-$50 or so on a game and you got at LEAST 20 hours or more, not including multiplayer, out of it. Now? 7-8 hours for $50. Blaze through the game in a weekend, and it doesn't make sense to spend $60 every weekend, so people turn to piracy to get more entertainment on a regular basis. This is in part why the Orange Box was very successful on PC's - cheap, good, large amounts of content in that $50 package. Yes, I know it costs much more now to make AAA titles - all I can say is, part of that cost is in piracy and piracy occurs mainly because of the cost. It's a cycle, and what matters is who's going to break it first - piracy sure isn't.

3) System requirements. Joe Shmoe isn't going to buy a PC game if either he thinks it may not run, he thinks it won't run, or it will not run period. Vista tried to fix this - having the Vista Experience score, Aero, etc. Problem was, they didn't do enough. Vista, including Aero, can be run with little difficulty on integrated cards, and developers don't use the 1.0-5.9 scale for system requirements - and I don't blame the developers, because games aren't written to run based on numbers, they're written to run based on specific cards and chipsets, which average Joe doesn't understand... you get the idea. Someone needs to get a bunch of heads together and figure out a way to fix this.

4) Retail attitudes. This is HUGE - considering the fact that the average Joe drives the bulk of all sales and doesn't understand how to pirate. There are 2 main things here:
a) Retail presence. Like mentioned in the video, you walk into a Best Buy and there's a crummy shelf in the back that might not even have any new titles on it whereas console games have a large number of titles, etc etc. Get those games out in the open where people will see them - Games For Windows was a good start but not enough.
b) Used games. It's really easy for console gamers to buy and sell used games because retailers know that the used game that they sell will work for the customer (if the disc isn't scratched up, etc). PC games? Nope - not only are they hardly ever sold, driving retail costs up for PC gamers, but most retailers will not even take a return for an opened PC game because they are afraid that whoever they sell it to will try to install it with a used CD-Key. Possible fix? You would have to find a way to get retailers a way to input a CD-key and a game title to see whether or not the key is valid - but there are too many ways for hackers to exploit the system - brute force CD-key checks among other things. Essentially, you need to find a way to imprint the CD-key onto the disc and get rid of the alpha-numeric CD-key altogether and have the retailer just slide in the disc in question and see whether they would be able to resell it - this would also potentially help secure games against piracy.

But really, all I want is keyboard and mouse support for consoles. The PS3 is making strides here with keyboard and mouse support for at least UT3 (I don't follow most games on the PS3 seeing as how I don't have one) and once the 360 can get it in for games my gaming PC is going up on eBay. Wouldn't be hard either - theres 2 USB ports on the front, one for the mouse and one for the keyboard, all MS has gotta do is convert the basic, standard keyboard and mouse drivers from Windows which all USB keyboards and mice support, put it on the 360 in a software update, and then put in a sub-blade that let's you map the various buttons on a controller to the mouse/keyboard for games that don't support a keyboard or a mouse directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.