Obnoxiously loud chipset fan on MSI K8N Neo4-F HELP!

bltTomato

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out with a super loud and annoying chipset fan on the Northbridge of the MSI K8N Neo4-F (nForce4) motherboard. Im not sure if the fan is dying but it is so very loud, it stands out in the room over anything else.

I was looking around on newegg for a replacement and I came acorss this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214

I am a little worried about this since the PCIe slot is very close to the chipset. Would this zalman fit? Would I have to chop off several fins to make it fit? Heck, I dont even know if the zalman is compatible..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

iTalisman

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I did put the thermaltake Xtreme Spirit II. Its quiet and works like a charm in keeping the temps under control. Might be a little xpensive though.....

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
If you really want to switch to a passive chip set heatsink yes it should work, I managed to install a Zalman on my Asus A8N-SLI.

But if you have a really long video card I would recommend against it. If something is blocking airflow to it I would recommend against it. And if you care about your warranty or your motherboard temperature I would recommend against it.

But if the noise of those crappy little 40mm fans has driven you completely insane, go for it. :twisted:

The Zalman ZM-NBF47 is a better heatsink, plus it looks cooler. *Note if you can wait a few extra days Frozen CPU will ship these through the USPS for a couple of bucks.