Your question

Modular PSU choice between these... opinions and suggestions

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 30, 2006 2:37:30 PM

I am looking at sub $100 Modular PSUs. Since my case has 3 clear sides, looks are important to me. These the two I am looking at currently. I have always liked the hiper below, and have heard mixed feelings on the Ultra, but seen some great reviews.

Hiper 580w - $110.83 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Ultra X2 550w - $94.14 shipped
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Im leaning towards the Hiper myself, but both look good. Opinions on these two and suggestions on others would be nice.

More about : modular psu choice opinions suggestions

October 30, 2006 2:51:06 PM

I just made up my mind. After reading some reviews I found that the Ultra is extremely efficient, but both 12v rails fluctuate a whole lot under load and dip into the low side. Not good!! I will be getting the hiper most likley.
October 30, 2006 3:04:09 PM

I think the Hiper beats out the Ultra also. Ultra PSU's aren't known for their stability, while Hiper is at least somewhat decent in that regard.

Not to mention I've seen Ultra PSU's go down to 5-10 dollars after rebate. Does that scream quality product to you?
Related resources
October 30, 2006 3:27:39 PM

I like the screw on connector at the PSU on the Hiper compared the push pin type on the Ultra. I pick the Hiper.

Quote:
Not to mention I've seen Ultra PSU's go down to 5-10 dollars after rebate. Does that scream quality product to you?

This to me is a funny statement. Just because it has a great rebate does not make the product bad. It is not the best out there but it is not the worst either. If free is bad that why to allot people using AVG? To me a Virus scanner is just as if not more important than a PSU yet it is free... Does this make it bad? I have been using my Ultra X-Connect for two plus years now, over clocked my 4400+ to 2.9 24/7 and had zero issues with it. It is not a bad product because it is close to free with rebate.
October 30, 2006 5:48:05 PM

Eh, that might be the case also. But if the company really had faith in the quality of its product and using that to sell it, why would it then offer 50 dollar MIR's? Especially when the original price is only around 60 bucks or so.

Eh, I'm not saying Ultra is bad, but I consider it a mid-grade PSU at best. And free is obviously the best, nothing can beat free. But how does AVG compare to other virus scanners out there? Say... Bit-defender

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html

Just saying, compared to others...
October 31, 2006 1:36:28 PM

I can not tell you how good or bad AVG is, I hear it is very good but I use the one that comes from my internet provider.

Quote:
But if the company really had faith in the quality of its product and using that to sell it, why would it then offer 50 dollar MIR's?

Why not I work for a home builder and we are giving away free pools and upgrade cabinets, flooring, and countertops...

I agree mid-range PSU...

Quote:
My +12v rails stay at 11.84V

I know it is small amount but is it safe to run under 12v? i thought you want it to be 12v or above never below. What is the plus/ minus range to be safe?
October 31, 2006 2:17:01 PM

Hiper wins, don't even give it a second thought.
October 31, 2006 2:18:54 PM

But see, when you offer free things, you offer them with other overpriced items so it balances out in the end neh?

Say you offer a free cabinet... do you install the whole thing in their house for free and only the cabinet? Or do you only get the cabinet after they buy the expensive wood flooring, in which you can easily deduct the price of the cabinet and still make a profit...

Either way, that may be true, but I don't believe thats the best way to run a company. I know there are such things as promotional items that are geared towards just getting the name out even at a loss for that particular project, but offering $50 MIR's as opposed to a better marketing program is quite a difference. I would say in this case the $50 MIR's are used to get the products off the shelves...

Anyways, enough of this... It's not time for me to get my MBA yet...
!