Wrong timings for my ram? Need urgent help!

Hello everyone

My MOBO is from Gygabyte: GA K8N PRO-SLI
I had 2 modules of 512mb 3200@2,5-4-4-8 from Kingmax and I wanted to buy another 2 modules in order to make 2gb of ram. I did not want to spend to much money on it because i plan to buy a new rig next summer.

So i went to buy some ram but I could not find Kingmax memory and i found 2 modules from Kingston @ 2,5-3-3-7.
I put the memory in the slots and it works, but when i used CPU-Z to check for timings it shows what it seems to me some conflicting timings:
When I click on the "Memory" tab in CPU-Z it shows:
Frequency 160,8mhz, 2,5-3-3-7
When I click on the "SPD" tab for the kingmax memory it shows 2,5-4-4-8 and for the Kingston memory 2,5-3-3-8
The modules are put like this: In the slots 1 and 2 the Kingmax memory and in the slots 3 and 4 the Kingston memory

Please advice

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about wrong timings urgent help
  1. Sounds like everything is working fine. The Memory info seems right. SPD info is just the suggested timing info recorded in the DIMM's onboard non-volatile memory, not what the DIMM is actually running at.
    You may find this helpful: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881
  2. Quote:
    Sounds like everything is working fine. The Memory info seems right. SPD info is just the suggested timing info recorded in the DIMM's onboard non-volatile memory, not what the DIMM is actually running at.
    You may find this helpful: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

Thanks for the advice but i tried the modules individually by brand and when I put the ram, either from Kingmax or Kingston in the "Memory" tab CPU-Z shows that it is working at 200Mhz and not 160.8Mhz when I have all 4 modules.
    Does this mean that my memory works at a lower frequencywith all 4 modules in place?
    Is there another software like CPU-Z that I can use to check my Ram

Thanks again
  3. My Advice: stop freaking out about it.

Question - why is this so "URGENT"? Someone's life hanging in the balance? Millions of dollars riding on the outcome? Got a bet of a billion dollars on it?

PUH-LEASE - this is so trivial, I'm amazed I'm actually replying. I need a life - no doubt - BUT YOU NEED ONE A LOT MORE!
  4. Quote:
    Sounds like everything is working fine. The Memory info seems right. SPD info is just the suggested timing info recorded in the DIMM's onboard non-volatile memory, not what the DIMM is actually running at.

Thanks for the advice but i tried the modules individually by brand and when I put the ram, either from Kingmax or Kingston in the "Memory" tab CPU-Z shows that it is working at 200Mhz and not 160.8Mhz when I have all 4 modules.
    Does this mean that my memory works at a lower frequencywith all 4 modules in place?
    Is there another software like CPU-Z that I can use to check my Ram

Thanks again

It's quite normal: very few mobos can run stable @200MHz with 4 DIMMs installed due to the increased bus lenght. Try raising manually the clock up to 200MHz, also raising the command rate to 2T, but nothing is garanteed with 4 DIMMs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Kingmax RAM