theoneghost

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I have a "small" problem with a 60gb hdd-western digital WD600BB,2mb buffer:I can see it in bios,it powers just fine but when trying to boot windows it gives the blue screen,i've tried the windows boot cd but when it searches for hardware the same thing hapens(this time it says something about some *.dll.................the fact is that the system boots fine from another HDD but if I connect The WD600BB the system freezes iven if I boot from the other HDD.
What should I do....?

infernal617

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
From what you say, I would suggest something, It sure looks like a sata driver missing...
Is your previous HD IDE ans your new 60 Gb WD SATA?

If so, then installing sata drivers (not included in windows) will solve the case.

Keep us posted, thank you.

JiM A.K.A =CHS=InFeRno

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I cannot be sure--but you may want to run a chkdsk /r from the recovery console (if not installed, use Windows XP CD. If using OEM PC, you may not be able to do this). Reason? My experience with any and all 60GB hard drives has been bad, but particularly this one. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am, but run some sort of diagnostic utility to check your hard drive for bad sectors first, as that may save you time you would ottherwise waste trying to make Windows work on a bad hard drive.

"the blue screen", by the way--is it the "STOP: 0X000000ED (blah blah) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" one? If so, I highly recommend testing the drive. It does not always indicate hardware, but for this hdd's usual failure, that is the bsod I receive the most...

EDIT: Re-read your original post, missed the "locks up even if booted from another drive" part. This is likely the drive. Enable SMART in the BIOS if it is not already enabled, and I bet you it will give a SMART status other than "ok"...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
From what you say, I would suggest something, It sure looks like a sata driver missing...
Is your previous HD IDE ans your new 60 Gb WD SATA?

If so, then installing sata drivers (not included in windows) will solve the case.

Keep us posted, thank you.

JiM A.K.A =CHS=InFeRno

Umm...the WDC-WD600BB is an Ultra-ATA100 drive, dude (AKA "PATA").

theoneghost

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I can't run Any kind of cheking.....when trying to recognize it the system give the error "STOP: 0X000000ED (blah blah) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" that "bourgeoisdude" said..........Could this be from a virus ........?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I can't run Any kind of cheking.....when trying to recognize it the system give the error "STOP: 0X000000ED (blah blah) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" that "bourgeoisdude" said..........Could this be from a virus ........?

Well, it *could* be, but more than likely, the partition table is corrupt from a bad sector that the MBR sits on. In theory, there are quite a few trojans that can mess up your boot area too, so that is possible--but I think it's the drive, only because I've had four of these do the same exact thing to me. This is the only drive that Western Digital really has disappointed me with...