Sign in with
Your question

Problems potentially driven by the Apple Resume feature.

Tags:
Last response: in Mac Os X
January 1, 2013 7:44:00 AM

Happy New Year Everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to provide me some assistance. This is my first Mac, prior to this I've always had DOS and Windows PCs. I've encountered an issue and I've not been able to resolve it. Actually three issues that I believe are related. First my system info:

I have a 27 inch, Mid-2010 iMac running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

Issue # 1: Safari will not save bookmarks. Every bookmark I've saved since 11/30/12 is lost as soon as I restart my computer. I know that it is 11/30 because my browsing history stops on that date as well. Essentially it will show my history for my current browsing session but it is lost as soon as I restart.

Issue # 2: Every time I start the computer it loads apps that I do not want to start upon boot up. Some of the apps are not even listed in the User Login Items section. I believe this is a function of the Resume feature that was incorporated into OS X Lion however I have disabled it in system preferences general section and I make sure it is unchecked upon hitting restart.

Issue # 3: Changes to system preferences that I make do not survive restart either. For instance in my previous session I unchecked "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps". Upon restarting and opening I see that this option is now checked.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've been struggling with these issues for the last few weeks to no avail. I've searched extensively both on the forum and on other sites and have not found an answer so I apologize if this topic has been covered previously.

If you need any further info please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
January 1, 2013 10:59:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Ijack. I tried repairing permissions, and there were a few that needed to be repaired, however that has not resolved the issue. I have been able to fix the Safari bookmarks and history problem by removing the quitting Safari and moving the bookmarks.plist file to the desktop and then importing it into Safari and deleting the history.plist file entirely. I'm still left with the two remaining problems, which I'm unsure are related at this point.

The problems being that system preferences are not saved when changed (example being I remove all the apps listed in user login items or deselect the "restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"), and that the computer seems to always restart to it's previous state, however it's a previous state from over a month ago, it's somehow stuck, and always loads Stream, Mail, iTunes (which asks me to accept its user agreement every single time I start the computer as if it is the first time using it after installing/updating it, PS3 Media Server. Additionally programs that I've uninstalled are still in the dock however they no longer have the original icon, just a '?' icon as a placeholder.

I've also tried running a script to disable the resume feature however that has not worked either.

Quite frustrating.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
m
l
January 1, 2013 11:09:31 PM

One quick addition. My HDD is one of the ones identifed by Apple as needing to be replaced:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

"Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011."

I have yet to replace it as I need to purchase an external HDD to back up the contents of my computer so that I can restore it after having Apple replace the potentially defective drive.

Could these issues potentially be a symptom of my drive beginning to fail?

Thanks again,

Mike
m
l
January 2, 2013 5:13:39 AM

It's possible. Your best bet is probably to mention your problems to Apple when you have the disk replaced. If you have any inportant data on your computer then the sooner you get the disk replaced the better.

I'm not sure if Apple transfer your data and settings when they replace the disk or whether they just give you a freshly installed system; if the latter it should solve your problem anyway.
m
l
!