Please help with new build...

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Ok, I am not new to building PC's but have not built one in two years. I have never OC'd but would not mind trying a slight increase in speeds. Looking to build a new rig for gaming as well as general use. I know I will go SLI (not Crossfire) at some point but will probably stick with one card (BFG 7950GT 512) until DX-10 is out and stable.

Questions, C2D 6600, 6700 or 6800 Extreme? Which can I OC higher keeping it stable while using stock cooler? Again, if I OC, it will be pretty minimal as I am going for solid game play, not a world record. What advantages does the 6800 have over the 6700 or 6600 (putting costs aside)?

Anbody know anything about Antec TruePower TRIO 650 watt PS? If I wait for DX-10 and want to one day go SLI, what is a recomended PSU?

I was leaning toward an ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium but I know it does not do too well with OCing. Now I may wait for a 6800i based board if they really will be out in a few weeks anyway. Can I get a minimum amount of OCing out of this (P5N32-SLI) board? Say a C2D6800 to 3.0 or 3.2 using stock cooling?

I am interested in trying Raid 0 for the first time also. Thinking a pair of Raptor 150's. Any problems? Better options (not too concerned with total capacity as much as performance)?

Memory, Corsair Twin 2x2048 6400C4 modules (4-4-4-12-2T). Thoughts?

Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated. I have learned a great deal reading these postings.

G

Ok CPU first, only thing you get with the X6800 is unlocked multiplier and potentially higher oc, wich is good for extreme ocing, but you wont do it anyway...

I suggest the E6600 because you can OC it to 3Ghz really easily.
All you need is good DDR667 memory and the stock cooler should be able to handle that. You will save lots of money that will be better invested in a GPU for games...

The Trio has good reviews, it will be to light for SLI DX10. Usually Sli isnt a nice upgrade path, you're better of with a newer Gen card most of the time.
Good power supply: PC Power and Cooling, Tagan, Seasonic at around 700W-800W and you should be set. (PC P&C 825W is suppose to be great!)

Stay away from the nForce4/5 chipset, has you said, really bad OCer. I think it's wise to wait for 680i/Bad Axe 2/RD600. Otherwise the 965 chipset from intel is really good with Abit/Asus board but you dont get sli/XFirce with that.

The DDR800 CL4 ram is probably overkill, especially if you dont plan on Ocing further then ~3ghz you could again save some money on that. But it might be usefull down the road(ex.: OCing the next Conroe's with 1333FSB)

The raid0 raptor should be sweet, 75 gig X 2 would be plenty and again be cheaper but other then that, it's all good!

Finally, pay attention to the case, it needs to be BIG to accomodate DX10 cards and so on. Personnal favorites SilverStone TJ-09, Cooler Masrer Stacker 830, Lian-li PC-V1200PlusII.(in that order)

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Thank you labbby. I appreciate your help.

Would a C2D 6700 be more stable at 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz using a stock cooler than a C2D 6600? (syetem stable 3.2 with stock cooling is my goal)