Looking to buy new mobo/cpu

TheBard

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I am needing to get a mobo and CPU for our work computer that isn't working right now. Here are some criteria for what I am looking for.

Under $300 for all (including video options)
Trying to use ddr 2700 ram that we currently have.
Integrated graphics (running CAD / other engineering programs.) or an additional video card.
Overclocking not a concern, mostly want reliability.
IDE hard-drive connection.

I dont have time to do research in this stuff, and I haven't looked at new computer hardware for a couple years so I figure I can get the best advice from those who know the most right now.

Thanks a lot!

bliq

Distinguished
$300 is a pretty tight budget for all that. Especially that you need RAM and working with CAD/CAM is generally more graphics intense than most onboard video can handle. Were you using onboard video before and were you happy with the performance?

If so, you should be looking for something with either Geforce 6100 or ATI X200 express graphics. If not, you should be looking at Nvidia Quadro graphics cards.

It's tough to really get a grasp of what you need as requirements for CAD/CAM are all over the map. If you have access to a Fry's electronics, they often have deals that can't really be beat on CPU/Mobo combos. Something like a P-D805 and a motherboard for $99. Or maybe a Athlon 3800+ and a motherboard for about $120. They recently had a deal for 1GB of corsair DDR400 for $99 less $20 rebate. I don't know how you could get a decent quadro card for less than $100, probably looking at ebay for one of those.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
300 is a fine budget to replace the broken components and do light 3D AutoCad work. Do not buy Quadro, they're not worth it for a replacement board. If you want stability do not buy a budget board. Get an nforce4 based Asus/Abit/MSI based Socket 939 board with some integrated graphics and a cheaper A64 processor. If you want you can go dual core, but it will cost you. This should allow you use your old ram (which won't really hurt performance that much). This could come in around $150-300 depending on the MB/CPU. I would look for a MB with passive cooling, factory fans seem to stop more frequent than the should.

bliq

Distinguished
Well judging from the fact that it's a work computer and they're looking for CAD/CAM ability, I'm assuming the work is not going to be light. OP needs to clarify.

But Quadro's are going to be better than onboard, non optimized graphics in most cases. Maybe somthing like a $160 Quadro FX 1000 and a $140 cpu/mobo combo. In any case, new memory is most likely going to be needed unless OP goes with a sempron that runs 166FSB anyways.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
As far as memory goes he'll just have run something besides 1:1. That doesn't really hurt the K8's that much as they have more bandwidth than they know what to do with. And yes a Quadro will be better, but given how old the computer is and his budget, he'd be better off with a better MB and save the money. Even a 6150 would completely obliterate anything he had 3+yrs ago when they got the thing in the first place.

TheBard

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
$300 is a pretty tight budget for all that. Especially that you need RAM and working with CAD/CAM is generally more graphics intense than most onboard video can handle. Were you using onboard video before and were you happy with the performance?

If so, you should be looking for something with either Geforce 6100 or ATI X200 express graphics. If not, you should be looking at Nvidia Quadro graphics cards.

It's tough to really get a grasp of what you need as requirements for CAD/CAM are all over the map. If you have access to a Fry's electronics, they often have deals that can't really be beat on CPU/Mobo combos. Something like a P-D805 and a motherboard for $99. Or maybe a Athlon 3800+ and a motherboard for about $120. They recently had a deal for 1GB of corsair DDR400 for $99 less $20 rebate. I don't know how you could get a decent quadro card for less than $100, probably looking at ebay for one of those.

We had onboard graphics and it seemed to work fine for the things we did. The motherboard is an NSF-M. The amount of CAD work will be fairly light. This is mostly a computer everybody uses for various tasks.

Here is what I have so far (taken from NewEgg.com, going to try to stick with them):
mobo-Asus A8N5X $74.99
processor-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz $64.99
memory-Corsair 2x 512MB pc3200 $110.98
video-PNY VCG66256XPB GeForce 6600 $52.99.

for a total of $304.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Is it possible to get cheaper ram? Quality Corsair RAM seems unnecessary for what it's being used for so maybe get cheaper ram and spend leftover money on a faster cpu.