Sign in with
Your question

Put 1900 in old rig?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2006 8:12:52 PM

Hello, my mom bought a comp about a year ago for just over 2k and its outdated and useless. Could I buy a new power suply and graphic card and have a new working computer? my rig is an asrock p4 mobo with an intel p4 prescot 2.93 ghz 1mb cache. 160gb sata hd and 1gb of ram. I would buy 500 watt power and a x1900. I guess my real question is would the x1900 run nice with such an old mobo and small hd?

More about : put 1900 rig

October 30, 2006 8:45:09 PM

Quote:
Hello, my mom bought a comp about a year ago for just over 2k and its outdated and useless. Could I buy a new power suply and graphic card and have a new working computer? my rig is an asrock p4 mobo with an intel p4 prescot 2.93 ghz 1mb cache. 160gb sata hd and 1gb of ram. I would buy 500 watt power and a x1900. I guess my real question is would the x1900 run nice with such an old mobo and small hd?

It'll be fine! You don't even need a 500 Watt, a decent 430 will be fine (Antec Truepower). But really if i was you i'd try and get a better CPU, those 533FSB Prescott's were really a bit nasty.
October 30, 2006 8:54:22 PM

x1900 would be great to get some games running real nice on that machine, i can't imagine a 3ghz p4 would be a bottleneck.
Related resources
October 30, 2006 9:06:50 PM

good good, but i think if i bought a new cpu i might need a new mobo as well, it looks like its 1 piece i dont think i can take the cpu out :)  im a noob at this.
October 30, 2006 9:08:40 PM

Quote:
good good, but i think if i bought a new cpu i might need a new mobo as well, it looks like its 1 piece i dont think i can take the cpu out :)  im a noob at this.

Does your motherboard have PCI-E? Or are you intending to get the x1950PRO for agp?
October 30, 2006 9:39:19 PM

noe i got 1 16x pci-e slot, actualy i think i have both agp and pci-e because the card that came with this pakage was an agp and i got it switched with a radeon 300se.
October 30, 2006 11:05:44 PM

Watch out most motherboards with AGP and PCI-E dont actually have proper PCI-E slots, they arent compatible with all of the cards out, only ones that run in 4x mode. Sometimes even if advertised as a x16 slot motherboard!! (they still look the same) :?

I just found that out with an ati x1800xl so careful you dont make the same mistake, the new x1950 pro AGP would be a good choice if you can wait the month or so before its released.

I tried to find a list of 4x cards but i couldnt, i know that any ati x850 PCI-E cards will work in 4x mode though! :D 
October 30, 2006 11:43:58 PM

Quote:
noe i got 1 16x pci-e slot, actualy i think i have both agp and pci-e because the card that came with this pakage was an agp and i got it switched with a radeon 300se

if you can, look in the case or send a pic .
if you do have an agp and a pci-e then you should be good
to go.
October 31, 2006 12:11:54 AM

well on the little sticker at the bottom of my case it says i have 2 pci slots, but i looked real carefully and found 1 16x pci-e written in micro print on top of a slot that my radeon 300 is connected to. so i have 1 pci-e slot, 2 pci slots under that and another 2 slots an inch under that which might be agp. geez how many cards can i jam into this machine... gimmi all ur old ones and lets c :) 
October 31, 2006 12:24:16 AM

well it seems you have a pci-e.
and if you want a x1900 you should be good to go.
that would make your sys last longer. good gaming is
still ,mostly, gpu related. but not for to much longer.
about the only other question would be your psu.
October 31, 2006 12:38:51 AM

A 2.93 GHz P4 is a model with a 533MHz FSB. The slow FSB will bottleneck the CPU which will in turn bottleneck the GPU. I wouldn't get such an expensive video card for a computer like that; get something lower-end, or just save your money for a whole new rig altogether.

FTW, if your mother purchased the computer, then it is most likely a big-box OEM brand, which will be anti-upgrade. Basically, the new power supply might not (probably won't) fit in the case, as it's a proprietary design. Even if it does fit, the proprietary (I'm making an assumption) motherboard might not like the new PSU.

BTW, what games do you play?
October 31, 2006 2:11:42 AM

Quote:
A 2.93 GHz P4 is a model with a 533MHz FSB. The slow FSB will bottleneck the CPU which will in turn bottleneck the GPU. I wouldn't get such an expensive video card for a computer like that; get something lower-end, or just save your money for a whole new rig altogether.

FTW, if your mother purchased the computer, then it is most likely a big-box OEM brand, which will be anti-upgrade. Basically, the new power supply might not (probably won't) fit in the case, as it's a proprietary design. Even if it does fit, the proprietary (I'm making an assumption) motherboard might not like the new PSU.

BTW, what games do you play?
o man, im down to source forts and red orchestra! those are the only games that work now lol, for some reason hl2/hl2 ep 1/cs-s/ dod-s /f.e.a.r. freeze up on me now and are unplayable. well its a huge case that might fit a new psu but your prob right, so what would you recommend i get? I thought i had a choice of either 1900 gt/7600.
October 31, 2006 2:53:05 AM

Quote:
o man, im down to source forts and red orchestra! those are the only games that work now lol, for some reason hl2/hl2 ep 1/cs-s/ dod-s /f.e.a.r. freeze up on me now and are unplayable. well its a huge case that might fit a new psu but your prob right, so what would you recommend i get? I thought i had a choice of either 1900 gt/7600.

I'm not surprised if they froze, look what card your using 8O . If you want to play games like FEAR your gonna want something with a bit more beef than an x300SE :lol:  Both the 7600gt and x1900gt are good cards, the x1900gt being the best of the 2; but since you have a cpu that could bottleneck a high-end card, I would say go with a 7600gt (not 7600gs) which is the cheaper of the 2 and still has ALOT (an unspeakable amount) more performance than any x300. But be careful as angry_ducky said, the card may not work with your system, same with the PSU.
October 31, 2006 3:24:49 AM

Quote:

I'm not surprised if they froze, look what card your using 8O . If you want to play games like FEAR your gonna want something with a bit more beef than an x300SE :lol:  Both the 7600gt and x1900gt are good cards, the x1900gt being the best of the 2; but since you have a cpu that could bottleneck a high-end card, I would say go with a 7600gt (not 7600gs) which is the cheaper of the 2 and still has ALOT (an unspeakable amount) more performance than any x300. But be careful as angry_ducky said, the card may not work with your system, same with the PSU. oook so ill give the 7600gt a try, it goes for 320 canadian so thats not a big loss. but all the games that freeze on me now were all playable for 5 months untill about 3 weeks ago when i musta got some spycrap or virus... the x300 actually played f.e.a.r at medium settings :)  so im guessing the 7600 gt will get it going at close to top display settings.
November 1, 2006 2:38:59 AM

Quote:
oook so ill give the 7600gt a try, it goes for 320 canadian so thats not a big loss. but all the games that freeze on me now were all playable for 5 months untill about 3 weeks ago when i musta got some spycrap or virus... the x300 actually played f.e.a.r at medium settings :)  so im guessing the 7600 gt will get it going at close to top display settings.

How did you manage medium settings with an x300SE? Were you playing at 640x480 or something? Or were your framerates in the 15-25 range? Then again, FEAR is only really taxing on the system when certain settings are activated, ie. shadows, softshadows, resolution and max texture settings.
November 1, 2006 3:24:39 AM

Then why didn't it work on my 5-year-old Dell Inspiron POS? :lol:  :lol: 
November 1, 2006 3:40:49 AM

You should be good to run that card as it will compliment the system quite nicely.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
!