Sign in with
Your question

Second Take: Most Anticipated Games 2008

Last response: in Site Feedback
January 30, 2008 4:27:41 AM

Ben and Rob discuss the titles they are most looking forward to this year.

Watch Video:http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_most_anticipated_games_2008.html

What games are you most looking forward to?

More about : anticipated games 2008

January 30, 2008 5:45:52 AM

Obviously INMHO the oft discussed Metal Gear Solid needs a nod.
January 30, 2008 9:15:50 AM

I was hoping Gran Turismo 5 would at least be touched upon.
Related resources
January 30, 2008 12:57:59 PM

i find that you guys are very boring to listen to, like a news broadcast. boring drab, cant you guys be more laid back?
January 30, 2008 1:03:26 PM

im most looking forward to a new mmo called warhammer online. but id really like to play SC2 and the new fallout
January 30, 2008 2:46:43 PM

bennyblanx said:
Ben and Rob discuss the titles they are most looking forward to this year.

Watch Video:http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_most_anticipated_games_2008.html

What games are you most looking forward to?

For God's sake Rob & Ben, how come you forget the best driving simulator ever made and the most anticipated game for the PS3. In fact, Metal Gear 4 might not only be the reason for PS3 sales boost, but it is also the end of the entire saga. How come you forget the final chapter of MGS? It´s like not watching the third Lord of The Rings movie after seeing the others!

Firingsquad on the other hand showed a proper technical approach of GT Prologue. They even studied the lap times with professional pilots and got some amazing results. In Laguna Seca, for instance, the difference between GT5 and real life driving does not reach 1s, and they even could discover in wich turn the game physics fails. How come you not mention a game that can be used to train professonal pilots within such a perfect physics?

Oh and I own both PS3 and a Wii, not to mention a decent PC. So this is no PS3 fanboysm, but you just mentioned Wii (properly).
January 30, 2008 3:08:06 PM

I can't wait for Starcraft 2.. as excited as I was when I got Half Life 2, I think i'll go absolutely nuts the day I walk into EB Games and pickup my copy of SC2, hopefully, like SC/BW it'll give some good years of gaming, SC2 has big shoes to fill.

If you're into Homeworld-like RTS's check out Sins of a Solar Empire, coming out next week, developped by some of the guys from barkind dog (HW: Cataclysm). Because some games could take days/weeks etc to finish (if using a huge map with multiple systems) they let you save and load mulitplayer games.
January 30, 2008 4:00:27 PM

R0B0T said:
i find that you guys are very boring to listen to, like a news broadcast. boring drab, cant you guys be more laid back?

Robot, I'm confused -- you say we're boring, but we want us to be MORE laid back? Clarify, please. I'm serious, we need constructive criticism.

As for Metal Gear Solid 4, I caught some of the game at CES earlier this month. Looks interesting. But to be perfectly honest, I've never been a huge MGS fan. I don't think the gameplay holds up well for the early titles, and I'm probably a little biased because I prefer PC games. Still, if I were making an impartial list of the most anticipated games for 2008 (which I am in the process of) instead of talking on video about my own top 5 anticipated games for this year, then it would probably go something like this:

1. StarCraft 2
2. GTA 4
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. World of WarCraft: Wrath of the Lich King
5. Resident Evil 5
6. Fallout 3
7. Metal Gear Solid 4
8. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
9. Halo Wars
10. Spore

Hardest to leave off: Far Cry 2, Conan, Alan Wake, Warhammer, Killzone 2, Fracture...
January 30, 2008 4:22:25 PM

stemnin said:
Fixed.

I think "Rise of the Lich King" are books or something.

Good call. Shows you how much I care about WoW.
January 30, 2008 5:20:22 PM

The Force Unleashed might make Wii a must-have for me... And I've done so well to hold out, until now.
January 30, 2008 8:26:52 PM

What about that undead shooter game Valve is working on? What is that called? Its like Dawn of the dead the game. lol

That one looks great, what is that and when does it come out?

LAAkuma
January 30, 2008 8:40:41 PM

It's called Left 4 Dead, LAAkuma. But close enough...

I love me some zombies.
January 30, 2008 9:23:01 PM

I love how The Force Unleashed is coming out for the Wii, but PC's "aren't powerful enough" for it. Yeaaaaaaaaah, right.

Also, when did Starcraft 2 get pushed up to 2008? Last I heard was it was "maybe 2009". Knowing Blizzard, it'll probably be 2010.

I wasn't even interested in Far Cry 2 until I saw the gameplay video for it. Now I am. But, I likely won't be able to get a computer capable of playing it until 2010.

Alan Wake probably has me the most interested from that list, 'cause both Max Payne games were amazingly great.
January 30, 2008 10:09:47 PM

jimbobhickville said:
I love how The Force Unleashed is coming out for the Wii, but PC's "aren't powerful enough" for it. Yeaaaaaaaaah, right.

Exactly. Not releasing The Force Unleashed for PC.... it SUCKS. Just SUCKS. I can't believe HOW MUCH that SUCKS.

I want to express my anger to LucasArts right now... But surely I'd get banned. :p 
January 30, 2008 10:33:09 PM

Aerobernardo said:
For God's sake Rob & Ben, how come you forget the best driving simulator ever made and the most anticipated game for the PS3.

Sorry, unless GT5 is considerably different from the previous GT games it will not be the best driving simulator ever made, actually, not even a driving simulator, you'll find those on the PC.
January 30, 2008 11:45:15 PM

How come you didn't mention Duke Nukem Forever :) ?

My own list would look something like this. Not in any particular order.

starcraft 2
far cry 2
gta IV
alan wake(damn you microsoft)

Fallout 3 sounds interesting especially because I'm fan of the 2 earlier fallout games but I predict that fallout 3 will only be oblivion in fallout's world :( 

Force unleashed looks amazing but no pc version?!

Also I remember Deus Ex being released this year? Althought my expectations are low :( 

Btw you guys are great, I absolutely love these clips :lol: 
January 31, 2008 1:19:41 AM

Can you guys do a preview on Left 4 dead?

That game looks OFF THE HOOK. I think its going to be super popular.

LAAkuma
January 31, 2008 10:39:56 AM

Multiplectic said:
Exactly. Not releasing The Force Unleashed for PC.... it SUCKS. Just SUCKS. I can't believe HOW MUCH that SUCKS.

I want to express my anger to LucasArts right now... But surely I'd get banned. :p 

Well atleast we know it won't be better than Jedi Knight..
January 31, 2008 1:19:13 PM

jimbobhickville said:

Also, when did Starcraft 2 get pushed up to 2008? Last I heard was it was "maybe 2009". Knowing Blizzard, it'll probably be 2010.

I wasn't even interested in Far Cry 2 until I saw the gameplay video for it. Now I am. But, I likely won't be able to get a computer capable of playing it until 2010.

Alan Wake probably has me the most interested from that list, 'cause both Max Payne games were amazingly great.

I'm basing SC2 coming in 08 from this.. it's sketchy, but blizzard has said that it wouldn't take 3 years to finish it like they do other games after announcing, SC2 has been in development since 03.. I was thinking maybe april to june but since they haven't shown anything from zerg (they seem to have most toss and terran rounded up), could be 3rd-4th quarter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71828
Quote:
One of Blizzard's gold-encrusted execs has said that he "hopes" there will be another StarCraft game in the near future.

"As a Starcraft player I can tell you that I hope it wouldn't go a decade - we launched Starcraft in '98 - I hope it wouldn't go a decade before we stand here and celebrate the next Starcraft together," Itzik Ben Bassat told crowds gathered at World of Warcraft expansion The Burning Crusade's official launch event in London last night.
January 31, 2008 3:25:59 PM

LAAkuma said:
Can you guys do a preview on Left 4 dead?

That game looks OFF THE HOOK. I think its going to be super popular.

LAAkuma

I think we could probably arrange that. I'm pretty intrigued about the game because 1) it's Valve, and 2) I love zombies (Dead Rising, Zombie Master, heck, even Stubbs the Zombie!). Hopefully, Valve will have something to show at GDC in a few weeks, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

See how much fun the forums can be when we aren't flaming each other about Hellgate, LAAkuma?
January 31, 2008 6:33:37 PM

No Rob, its not as fun. lol

Hey 4/10 deserves controversy, he should know that giving it that score.

LEFT 4 DEAD is probably going to be on your top 10 list for the year. I think its going to be great.

Valve is class A, Grade A company, bar none.

LAAkuma
January 31, 2008 9:43:05 PM

Nice review.....good combo of you guys talking and showing the actual games you are talking about.

Consoles.....? Meh..........

The last console I owned was the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo.

Is the Wii actually any good?
January 31, 2008 10:38:36 PM

caamsa said:
Nice review.....good combo of you guys talking and showing the actual games you are talking about.

Consoles.....? Meh..........

The last console I owned was the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo.

Is the Wii actually any good?

The Wii is good depending on what you play. If it's Wii Sports, Excite Truck, RE 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid and maybe a couple others (Zack & Wiki?), then yes, it's good.

If it's anything else, then no, the Wii is not good.
January 31, 2008 11:00:03 PM

i want Diablo 3... diablo is just so damn cool and Tyrael has got to be the greatest looking character ever created

but yea

1. Starcraft 2
and for the rest im not really sure, Star wars the force unleashed looks pretty good but there is a chance its going to be a dud. Fallout 3 also looks fantastic. GTA4 might be worth it as well but im not sure

February 1, 2008 5:32:42 PM

robwright said:
The Wii is good depending on what you play. If it's Wii Sports, Excite Truck, RE 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid and maybe a couple others (Zack & Wiki?), then yes, it's good.

If it's anything else, then no, the Wii is not good.
Sorry bossman, but that comment applies to any console. The Wii is a good console period, but its not in the same league as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on the hardware side. While the Wii library is plagued with crappy 3rd-party titles, the Xbox 360 has its share of low-quality titles as well with Pimp My Ride and Vampire Rain (just to name a few). The PS3 has Super Rub-A-Dub and The golden Compass.

So with that said, all three consoles are good; you just have to keep an eye out for what titles are worth playing, and what titles serve as drink coasters. Do your homework before you purchase, and you can't go wrong. I highly recommend the Wii, but that's just one dood's opinion.

And no, I wasn't paid by Nintendo... I'm lucky if they can get my name right.
February 13, 2008 3:10:07 PM

I think what Robot may have meant is there sometimes is some rambling, digression, or lack of organization in your podcast. For my part, I enjoy the podcasts but find myself looking for a double speed button at times.

I realize that you guys aren't WoW fans, but with 9 million players worldwide, I'm guessing it's going to be at or near the top of the sales lists in '08. So probably high on 9 million people's list for highly anticipated.
February 14, 2008 2:18:37 PM

When the Heck is Mafia II supposed to come out? The first installment is one of my all-time favorites. I'm concerned about the cross-platform release (getting dumbed-down for the console crowd) but otherwise I'm pumped.

And Deus Ex III? I actually thought the second installment was pretty good until the end. The original is one of the greatest games ever, of course. I guess we'll have to wait and see about part III.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to SC2 and Fallout3. I saw Rob mention sumpin' about a zombie game - I'd be down with that if it came to the PC. I'm also very intrigued by the Conan MMO, although I don't think that I'd actually have the time to play it.

I wish developers would release some updated versions of old games. I'd love to see updated versions of classics like Battlezone, Interstate '76, Thief TDP, System Shock - games that were heavy on fun game play but are really dated visually. I dunno, just a thought. I'd buy 'em.
!