PSU causing component failure?

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hi, I'm new. My name is Steve. I would like to ask questions about the occurence of HDD damage and CPU damage that may be caused by faulty PSU's.If there is an area already dealing with these issues, can someone point me there?,
Thanks, Steve

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I'm not sure I'm having a problem. But I am rebuilding an all in one pc made by IBM. It is a 633 celeron cpu with 256 MB ram @66 MB fsb. The power supply is 110W. It came without a hard drive. I installed an 8 gb, set it up for XP home and installed. It would keep hanging at a certain point during the install. I tried a 40 gb hdd and the exact same problem at the same time. So I downloaded dlgdiag and tested the 40 gig and found previously unfound errors. These were both used HDD's. The 8 gig is a Maxtor and I downloaded maxblast and tested that drive and found errors on it as well. These were both working hdd's before installing them in this machine. The machine boots to a C: prompt without a haed drive, no post errors at all.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I doubt the psu would corrupt the HDD, but it might be possible... could be when your optical is being read with your hdd writing that might just barely strain the psu... because I can't see your system using that much power anyways...

You could always try a new 200W PSU or so... a HDD only takes 10W or so max, so your probably right on the edge. Go to a local comp store, buy a psu, and give it a shot. If it still has problems... then you have the little fail-safe called a return :D

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
This is an IBM NetVista all in one PC. 2179-71u. It has a proprietary psu. As far as I can tell no one else makes a replacement . There are two options for replacement. original 110W non-pfc or 115W PFC. It came to me in a shipment of other salvage PC's and I like the all in one design, so I chose it as my first project. I don't know what size the original HDD was, but it did have one, so I am not overloading by "ADDING" another one. I am only installing a missing drive.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Looks like a cute little system.

Here's the tech specs for it:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/netvista/2179tim.pdf

You 'should' be OK with either of the drives you mentioned, if they ever get sorted... But that's a wee PSU, proprietary as hell, and has only 25 A on the +12 rail. On a good note, if you exceed the max amps by 130%, the PSU politely 'crowbars (shuts down)' and you have to remove the offending part, then wait 2 sec. before you try to restart.

Actually a PSU that only IBM would make...

There's much more available, just go to IBM's main page and enter the model # in the search box.

Good luck.