I need some help choosing some memory for my build.

G

Ok, my MOBO is HERE paired with a AMD 3800+ (AM2).

I need 2GB of memory that will most likely work with that motherboard. I need it to be 800mhz, OC capability is not nessesary, would like heatspreaders. It needs to cheap.

Please help, this is what I see so far. I think it will work.
GSkill

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok, my MOBO is HERE paired with a AMD 3800+ (AM2).

I need 2GB of memory that will most likely work with that motherboard. I need it to be 800mhz, OC capability is not nessesary, would like heatspreaders. It needs to cheap.

Please help, this is what I see so far. I think it will work.
GSkill
That'll work well. GL :)

G

So, if I go with the ECS, it also has a better combo and price, the G-Skill will work fine?

Also, how much do heatspreaders do? Are they worth the extra price?

I heard that G-Skill is made from Samsung somewhere, anyone confirm that?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So, if I go with the ECS, it also has a better combo and price, the G-Skill will work fine?

Also, how much do heatspreaders do? Are they worth the extra price?

I heard that G-Skill is made from Samsung somewhere, anyone confirm that?
The G-Skill should work fine with the ECS board. The G-Skill RAM has heatspreaders already installed. Heatspreaders help more when the voltage is increased. I haven't heard that G-Skill is made from Samsung. I'm sure that some of their RAM sticks have or do use Samsung memory modules.

G

Will DDR2 800 work with Athlon 64s? AMD says 677, but nothing about 800. Or does it depend on the MOBO? ECS says it supports the 3800+ I am getting.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Will DDR2 800 work with Athlon 64s? AMD says 677, but nothing about 800. Or does it depend on the MOBO? ECS says it supports the 3800+ I am getting.
Yes, it will work. In fact, most A64 review's on the net use DDR2-800 in the test setups. :wink:

G

Thanks very much! One more question, is it better to place my HDD in the lowest 3.5inch bay? I heard it reduces vibration, but it will be in my fans way. I am getting a Vantec Tornado for my intake fan.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks very much! One more question, is it better to place my HDD in the lowest 3.5inch bay? I heard it reduces vibration, but it will be in my fans way. I am getting a Vantec Tornado for my intake fan.
Shouldn't matter much. It's good to have some air-space above your HDD...for cooling. If the HD hangs down a little in front of the Tornado, i doubt it will slow airflow much(Tornados flow massive air, so a little disruption shouldn't be a big deal). Also, any residual airflow from the Tornado will help cool your HD....bonus. :wink:

PS. Have you heard a Tornado before... They are awesome, but definitely not for those with sensitive ears. :wink: You will hear it 40 feet away, no problems.

G

No, I haven't. But I plan on getting the Vantec fan controller for it. As long as I am playing a game, then I don't mind. I dont care about sound.

I might even upgrade all four of my fans to Tornadoes.

Keep my baby nice and cool.