Suggestions on C2D Mobos?

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I am buying the 6600 and i want to overclock like crazy.......big gamer and i need al ot of options.......no price range..

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Depends, SLI... XFire... or just the best OC'ing mobo...

P5B-E will probably post the best OC out of any mobo out there, with the DS3 and DQ6 following close behind. P5B-Deluxe also will have a good OC while offerinc Xfire (same with DQ6)

For SLI and overclocking, AW9-MAX is pretty much your only choice.

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
welll i was wondering .... i heard a lot of sli mobos out there do not have good overclocking options ..... so i dont know about sli ..... i honestly dont even know what i am going to get for my graphics card.... all i know is i am gettin the 6600 and i am a big gamer and i would like great graphics and overcloable mobo as well..

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Depends, SLI... XFire... or just the best OC'ing mobo...

P5B-E will probably post the best OC out of any mobo out there, with the DS3 and DQ6 following close behind. P5B-Deluxe also will have a good OC while offerinc Xfire (same with DQ6)

For SLI and overclocking, AW9-MAX is pretty much your only choice.

The P5B-E OCs as much as a common 975X mobo, as much as the AB9 series too. The DS3 and P5B Deluxe hit the highest FSB speeds, followed closely by the DQ6. All this P965 will suffer some performance loss for Crossfire.

Foxconn 975X7AB and Abit AW9D-MAX are the two best motherboards for Crossfire and OCing.

ANY mobo can run SLI with modded drivers.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, the AW9-MAX comes with the bridge already, and its a decent mobo nonetheless... saves you the trouble of scrounging a SLI bridge from a trashcan...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2860&p=7

Our 1.02G board faired better as we could increase our memory voltage to 2.35V in order to reach the final stable setting of 7x520FSB resulting in a clock speed of 3640MHz. Both ASUS boards provided the best memory timings during overclocking although we noticed certain latency settings like tRFC were very relaxed when compared to other boards.

So a 520MHZ FSB is only as good as 975X chipsets, just as close as the AB9... shrug... if you say so...

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/roundups/2006/p965-one/overclocking-application-lg.png

Some more charts to look at...

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The P5B-E 1.01G sure is bitchin good! That C2 stepping and with the really tight vdroop now makes it top of the line mobo. I wonder if this is the "american" version of the P5B-E Plus...
All the results ive seen with the P5B-E where more like the 440Mhz from the other revision. The why of my post.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, they mentioned that in the article, the older revision only offered mediocre performance, but the FSB on the new revision is damn spectacular. I really want to see if they'll make a DLX version of this board and I'll slate it in for my new rig come January...

Either way, I'm excited to see how far that board can really go...

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Search the P5B-E Plus on Asus global website. I believe its the same mobo but right now its only available in Asia.
Blaah, for Jan youll have the beauty of RD600. Retail price to be ~$250.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
gigabyte s3 (not ds3) is by far the best value, and will prob hit close to the highest fsb.

research it if you dont believe me

compare its differences with the ds3 (you willing to pay 40 bux for those differences? i think not.)

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
ok i am a noob at this soo you have to help me out when it comes to techinical talk ..........

i really dont understand why you all are tellin me certain boards have crossfire when it says nothihin about it on the product......

it has 2 pci express slots on it which is weird because what are two used for if it doesnt have either croosfire nore sli

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
in the sense of how good the board is in general...... like the abit AW9D max only has 1 pci and the Asus P5W DH Delux has a lot more pci slots....... on the other hand i will probably only get one outsatanding graphics card ... i really dont feel like spending ecxtra money on an extra GPU for cross fire or sli when there is already dual gpus out..... and the P5W Dh delux i heard wass hard to overclock because it has FSB barriers which is a pain

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
When the Foxconn 975X7AB came out it pretty much left no room for the Asus, because the best it is OCing choice for the 975X chipset if you need more than one PCI slot.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ive only seen results from the eVGA board, since its the only that has hit the retail channel up to today. Anandtech reviewed and even that the 525Mhz FSB at stock voltage was impressive, they left me wanting more, ALOT more. I wanted to see them push that X6800 until itld CRACK.
Im still in the waiting and seeing stage.

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
so what do you suggest .... should i wait or should i go for it and see what happens beause even though i read that it is supposed to overclock like crazy and do all these amazing things.

i am still left with a lot of dought because i see no reviews.

suggestions?

Latest posts