Switching to Windows 7 from Xp. My monitor wont display 1600x1200 now?

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I cant go higher than 1200 1024 i think its. I was able to run in 1600 1200 in Xp on the same monitor. In the settings it even says recommended 1600. When i try this resolution the monitor just switches of so i press escape to get back to one previous. This occurs with any resolution above 1200.

Ive been with this problem since ive had windows 7 [couple months, more] now. I thought that if i buy a newer monitor this might fix it but if i can use 1600 resolution without buying monitor just yet then that would be great.

Hope someone might know a solution to this. Very upsetting really all this :((.

Thankyou for reading my issue.

yours sincerely,

Likesgames
nb-monitor model cs990dc, crt it is also [chunky monitor ;)] it is a fair few years old thou it did run 1600resolution before.
GPU: geforce 8800 gts 640mb

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

thanks, had tried all this in past. isnt this.

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

thats a funny one actually. For the display section in the screen resolution alteration screen. It shows 2 types of descriptions only 1 at any1time. if i can explain.

Like now it says 'generic non-PnP monitor' however and this happened not long ago actually. It might change to saying 'cs990dc' i think which is my monitor model. 1600x1200 doesnt work for either im positive of.
I find it odd when it would say 1 thing in the display section then another time it decides to be called something else.

It seems to be unpredictable when it would be called whichever of the 2 descriptions ive seen for it.

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
to my recollection. Plus looking at what its on now. generic non-PnP monitor give me 4 options to choose resolution from.

When it shows my monitor model it gives me many more options and actually says at 1600x1200 which is the highest option there, recommended one :/ . As you know, i click on what it says is recommended but then my monitor appears to switch off with the green light turning amber. For the monitor.

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
yep 1600x1200 isnt working for monitor when the display shows: generic non-PnP monitor.

Im up for testing it when it says display: 'my monitor model'. But i dont know when it will decide to show that as the description.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Go to your PC Manufacturer's website and download the graphics card's drivers there. Better yet, if you know what gpu you have and it's nvidia or ati (NOT intel), go to the respective site and download drivers there - they're usually more up-to-date than what the pc manufacturer has. If you're currently getting really poor graphics performance (ie. smooth scrolling is choppy, the window flydown animation is choppy, windows won't move smoothly when dragged, etc) you know for sure you don't have the drivers installed.

I've seen many monitors that say something generic, but they just about always have the recommended resolution shown.

And on many machines I've seen, Windows set it to 800x600 by default, but 1024x768 and 1280x1024 were options. This is with the generic VGA driver. However, at higher resolutions, things were really choppy (particularly with 1280x1024). Note: these machines had 1280x1024 monitors, so I don't know what would've happened with a higher res one.

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
GOOD NEWS--I went on the nvidia site. downloaded latest driver.. Then i was reminded of a window update. I carried out window update 1st. There was 5 updates. 1 was about my GPU??? another was a window service pack 1.

Adter all this i went into resolution but 1600 still the same. I ran the nvidia driver update. I think this done the job. The thing is i went through this time ago. looking at my graphic driver on the site. updated, all of that.

Maybe it was the latest update driver that did it on nvidia site ?

The main thing is. i can and am using 1600 on my crt monitor haha. YAY.

Thank you all for your advice and livebriand particularly saying to get a driver from THE GPU SITE. i had tried this in past but its a ok now.

Thank you and im so pleased. Bb ;D