epson perfection 600 software?

Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600 scsi
scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.

Thanks

Have you tried epson soft for some similar model like 660?

"Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600
scsi
> scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.
>
> Thanks

"Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600
> scsi
> scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.
>
> Thanks

Have you tried this driver for NT 4.0? XP is NT 5.1. Who knows, it may work.
When XP complains about the driver not being signed, Click "Continue
Anyway".

Try TWAIN Driver v3.7.7

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14566&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

That's a self extracting exe file which installs and put the the stuff in
Twain32 which is ok, but there in nothing the install new hardware wizzard
recognizes as a driver, cause it's probably looking for an inf file. I can
select the twain32 as a source from a program for scanning put it won't
work. Don't know if it's the twain32 or the computer just doesn't think
it's installed. Any ideas will be appreciated.

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600
>> scsi
>> scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.
>>
>> Thanks

> Have you tried this driver for NT 4.0? XP is NT 5.1. Who knows, it may
> work. When XP complains about the driver not being signed, Click "Continue
> Anyway".
>
> Try TWAIN Driver v3.7.7
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14566&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

That is not what I saw when PERF377B.EXE is run .

It first opens a window that says it is a self-extracting file. You click
OK, then you get another window with some information about where the
self-extractor is going to put the files and two check boxes, one is
permission to overwrite files and the other is to automatically run Setup
after the files are extracted into the folder designed in the text box. (You
can change the extraction location to one of you own choosing.) Choose a
location that YOU want to extract the files, uncheck the "When Done
Unzipping run SETUP.EXE". I suggest unzipping to C:\Epson600. Click Unzip.
You can find that location with Windows Explorer, then double click
Setup.exe.

When SETUP.exe is run (by you double clicking it). Setup.exe starts the
Windows Install wizard.

Since I do not have a Epson 600 scanner, I will not try to install the
driver on my Windows XP computer. Therefore I do not know what the installer
does after double clicking Setup.exe, other that starting the installation
process.

You must have a PCI SCSI card that works in Windows XP to connect the Epson
600 scanner to. That is a separate issue. Get a SCSI card that is XP
compatible, and XP will have no problem with the SCSI card.

You also will have to install the ASPI layer for Windows XP from Adaptec.
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FSCSI+Software&fromPage=supportindex

Or start here:
http://www.adaptec.com/
Click Support then SCSI software.

You may want to read the FAQs on the Epson 600.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQs&oid=14566&category=Products

Q6 says the Windows NT requires a SCSI interface for this scanner, because
the parallel port in Window XP does not work well with scanners.
Windows XP is a later version of NT.

It is really time to buy a new scanner. For around $100, you can get a very
good scanner with more resolution than the 600 DPI of the Epson 600.

Trying to get the Epson 600 to work in Window XP is probably more work than
it is worth.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> That's a self extracting exe file which installs and put the the stuff in
> Twain32 which is ok, but there in nothing the install new hardware wizzard
> recognizes as a driver, cause it's probably looking for an inf file. I
> can select the twain32 as a source from a program for scanning put it
> won't work. Don't know if it's the twain32 or the computer just doesn't
> think it's installed. Any ideas will be appreciated.

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600
>>> scsi
>>> scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
>> Have you tried this driver for NT 4.0? XP is NT 5.1. Who knows, it may
>> work. When XP complains about the driver not being signed, Click
>> "Continue Anyway".
>>
>> Try TWAIN Driver v3.7.7
>>
>> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14566&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

It does everything you said and when you run setup it puts the stuff in
Twain32 where it belongs. It's just that it doesn't work and the found
hardware wizzard still comes up and wants to install and now matter what I
tell it it can't find a driver. My computer has a SCSI card that works ok
in win xp and I did have the ASPI layer installed.
Like you say, it's time for a new scanner. The reason I wanted to use this
one is because it does 11X14 legal and they are harder to find.

Thanks again.

> [...]
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>
> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> > That's a self extracting exe file which installs and put the the stuff
in
> > Twain32 which is ok, but there in nothing the install new hardware
wizzard
> > recognizes as a driver, cause it's probably looking for an inf file. I
> > can select the twain32 as a source from a program for scanning put it
> > won't work. Don't know if it's the twain32 or the computer just doesn't
> > think it's installed. Any ideas will be appreciated.

> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message

> >> Have you tried this driver for NT 4.0? XP is NT 5.1. Who knows, it may
> >> work. When XP complains about the driver not being signed, Click

The only other thing you can do, is have an older computer that is running
Windows 95 or maybe Windows 98 for that old scanner.

Maybe you mean 8.5 X 14 for legal size.

There are scanners that will support legal sized paper.
http://www.microtekusa.com/smi700.html

And HP has scanners with a Automatic Document Feeder that does 8.5 X 14.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> [...]
>>
>> Trying to get the Epson 600 to work in Window XP is probably more work
> than
>> it is worth.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>>
>> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>> > That's a self extracting exe file which installs and put the the stuff
> in
>> > Twain32 which is ok, but there in nothing the install new hardware
> wizzard
>> > recognizes as a driver, cause it's probably looking for an inf file. I
>> > can select the twain32 as a source from a program for scanning put it
>> > won't work. Don't know if it's the twain32 or the computer just
>> > doesn't
>> > think it's installed. Any ideas will be appreciated.

bg

go to www.driver.com
I think you will find a driver there for the 660
griff

"AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message
> Have you tried epson soft for some similar model like 660?
>
> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of any freeware that will let the old epson perfection 600
> scsi
>> scanner work with Winxp? Epson never did xp drivers.
>>
>> Thanks

Tried 660 and it doesn't work, but thanks. Think www.driverguide.com is
what you ment.